View Full Version : New to Dexedrine-- will the high/happy feeling wear off?

adhdseeker
11-23-15, 03:12 AM
Hello, I took Adderall for many years prior to Dexedrine. There was indeed a kind of euphoria on that stuff that did seem to go away or at least lessen over time, maybe after the first year or two. // I switched to Dexedrine the other day. Have taken it on and off for probably two weeks as I adjust and figure out what I like. I definitely do feel "happy" on this drug, also more chatty. I think it is generally a good change. But I'm curious... will this happiness go away with time? Am I feeling EXTRA cheery because of the drug and is this a kind of feeling that will go away? With Adderall, I felt some euphoria at first but in time it went away. I'm curious what to expect from Dexedrine.
And... would such a high make sense to exist even after being on Adderall all those years...?

Thanks for any thoughts.

adhdseeker
11-23-15, 03:32 AM
For what it's worth, my doctor gave it to me hoping it would help not only ADHD but also depression, and while it lifted my mood and confidence DRAMATICALLY for the first few days, that did indeed wear off. I am about seven weeks into the Dexedrine, and at a higher dosage than when I started feeling good, and the mood lift has not returned.

My doctor is not too surprised by this, and is putting me on Wellbutrin for help with depression/mood. This is apparently a pretty common and often successful combination. We'll see!

Oh dear, that is from an old thread, but it appears this will wear off. *sigh* I thought I appreciated the Dexedrine because of the effect it was having on me socially, but... the social effect was likely an effect of being in a good mood, so... Later it probably won't be like this I'm guessing.

sarahsweets
11-23-15, 05:42 AM
yes, it should go away.

aeon
11-23-15, 09:34 AM
I’ve never felt euphoria from Dexedrine*, but there is no question that it does have a positive effect on my mood. Which is to say, I don’t experience any dysthymia like I usually would, but I don’t feel cheery in any way. Which to me is feeling good, I suppose. And it does make me chatty sometimes, and with the removal of social anxiety, I’m sometimes ready to gab!

It’s been 4 years now, and this effect has never gone away, or even lessened.

And I am glad about that, very glad indeed. For low mood, nothing has ever been as efficacious as Dexedrine.

Cheers,
Ian

* As part of a study, I have been administered some larger doses. Still, I never experienced any euphoria whatsoever.

adhdseeker
11-24-15, 10:07 AM
I see, thanks, this is helpful. I'm just wondering how I will like it when this wears off. I think better than Adderall, but I do think Adderall WORKED better than this. With Adderall, I could follow other people better, a lot better. On Dexedrine, the inner contents of my mind are highlighted, and I follow them... I like it, I feel like it is more "me." But I am probably less attentive to others. I like not being "forced" to listen to everything going on around me-- this is how it was on Adderall. I couldn't NOT listen. lol

ADHDsim
11-24-15, 11:56 AM
Happy high? No such thing for myself. Although I got ab ultra calmness during my first few days, is that euphoria?

I still get bouts of ultra calmness on weekends, is this bad?

Fuzzy12
11-24-15, 12:02 PM
After I initially started dex, or restarted dex :rolleyes: I felt euphoria that lasted for for maybe 10minutes soon after taking my first dose. That euphoria wore off for me but in general, I still feel more pleasant on dex than without it..I feel calmer and sort of calmly, sensibly confident. I mean, i don't feel constantly overwhelmed as if thr world is comjg crashing down on me. This feeling of just moderate well being didn't really wear off for me.

adhdseeker
11-24-15, 03:43 PM
SWEET. Also... not on topic, but... On Dex, I follow other people less well. On Adderall, i was FORCED to follow their thoughts (for good and bad). But i could always listen and process whatever they were saying. But it also took me out of myself. If I had to go to a class, I would probably take Adderall, but it is troubling when Im with a friend and I don't listen to them. But i think all in all i prefer Dex to Adderal... i feel more content with myself. I'm just curious if other people experience this? I think I am combined ADHD.

adhdseeker
11-26-15, 11:41 PM
I took a higher dose and it works great! like adderall. i'm really really happy with the switch. i highly recommend.

dextroamp21
12-06-15, 12:00 AM
the only way you will feel like your stimulant is actually working or have a sense of well-being is when you're taking the stimulant by itself only; not with an ssri, antipsychotic or any other downer. When I used to take Adderall XR 30 mg by itself without taking zoloft and **** I felt good and able to focus for the whole entire day.

adhdseeker
12-13-15, 12:33 AM
the only way you will feel like your stimulant is actually working or have a sense of well-being is when you're taking the stimulant by itself only; not with an ssri, antipsychotic or any other downer. When I used to take Adderall XR 30 mg by itself without taking zoloft and **** I felt good and able to focus for the whole entire day.
I do take 60mgs of Cymbalta.