View Full Version : A note to those with difficulties awakening.

ADHDsim
11-24-15, 08:35 AM
Hi,

Long story short id like to share something useful I've found to help with awakenings.

Take a large dose of caffeine First before stimulant medication, Ive found this to be far better than the "shock treatment" Dextroamphetamine offers. Then in a awake state (about half hour later) I treat my ADHD with dex.

I've done this for the last 2 weeks and I've found:
Ability to get a "longer window" of medicated state
More calm during the day
Much better mood
Overall better outcomes.

I've tried taking dex first and then caffeine, it no where near as good. Caffeine first then dex = great benefits.

I use a energy drink (called "V") with near MAX daily caffeine intake. Might be a synergy of Water+sugar+caffeine.

The important part is that caffeine come first, I implore others to try this.

aeon
11-24-15, 11:16 AM
I have tried this, and based on my results, it is not something I will do again.

I’m glad you have found something that works for you. In my brain and body, dextroamphetamine and caffeine do not play nicely together.

I found your comment about dex offering a “shock treatment” curious. I find it to be one of the gentler medications I have taken. It certainly calms me, and lowers my blood pressure.

Cheers,
Ian

ADHDsim
11-24-15, 11:53 AM
Thanks Ian, and yeah it's a shock to go from being lost to "hey I got **** to do today"

I hate seeing dex as a "go pill" but I've relied on it for years, caffeine is so obvious a better option for myself at least.

Anyway I've gone my entire life being a zombie until midday... Thank god for dex and caffeine.

mildadhd
12-05-15, 01:40 PM
Hi,

Long story short id like to share something useful I've found to help with awakenings.

Take a large dose of caffeine First before stimulant medication, Ive found this to be far better than the "shock treatment" Dextroamphetamine offers. Then in a awake state (about half hour later) I treat my ADHD with dex.

I've done this for the last 2 weeks and I've found:
Ability to get a "longer window" of medicated state
More calm during the day
Much better mood
Overall better outcomes.

I've tried taking dex first and then caffeine, it no where near as good. Caffeine first then dex = great benefits.

I use a energy drink (called "V") with near MAX daily caffeine intake. Might be a synergy of Water+sugar+caffeine.

The important part is that caffeine come first, I implore others to try this.

Is morning the only time you drink caffeine, and what other substances are in the energy drink. Things like caffeine, yerbal mate, ginseng, have all short term benefits. I worry about the huge concentrations of herbal medicines over a long period of time, in addition to methylphenidate. Interesting.