View Full Version : planners...what do you use?

intothewind
11-25-15, 03:44 PM
I keep hearing the suggestion to carry a day planner/calendar. This sounds great in theory. But.

1. I think I need something small enough to fit in a pocket. It needs to have a wallet chain/carabiner clip attachment (my current system is to try to have everything I need attached to the pair of pants I will be wearing to work every day...pick that up and put it on and it includes your wallet, radio, watch, and maybe if you are lucky keys and phone).

2. Needs to then have a pen/pencil with it.

3. I am left handed, and spiral bound notebooks drive me nuts.

4. Somehow I have to remember to write ahead in the thing.

Nowadays with people using Google calendar and the like-how important is having a paper one anyway?

aeon
11-26-15, 04:14 AM
I only use Any.do and Cal on my phone.

It works and works well, and I can’t be bothered to carry anything additional.

stef
11-26-15, 04:31 AM
You would need i suppose a notepad with a spiral thing at the top
Maybe there's a good small planner, you would have to really look at Target or something.

Personally i have to actually write everything down, electronic planners just dont work, I forget to check them.

I have a huge list on a legal pad at work (with both work and home things) and then I recopy anything that must be done at home in this very nice little notebpad in a slim green metal case (i got this in a stationary shop in paris because it was just so nice looking and never used it, until I realized its perfect for this! i can find it easily in my purse) I don't have a ton of appointments to remember so this system works for me.

intothewind
11-26-15, 03:26 PM
Electronic could work if i developed a habit of looking at it like email. But i amvery reluctant to carry expensive gadgets.

Ive gotten away with just remembering but this is likely helped my communal living w coworkers. I plan to work pt and go to grad school...so that will be a very independent schedule. Makes me worried since i will be dependent on work for housing so things could really hit the fan if i mess up

sarahsweets
11-27-15, 05:19 AM
I am one of those people who will buy a million fancy planners and then use them as a coaster.

Fuzzy12
11-27-15, 08:42 AM
Kanbanflow is an online task planner. I don't think there;s a mobile app or even a mobile friendly website for it but otherwise I think, it's super brilliant. Very,very easy to use. It's really been a life safer at work.

www.kanbanflow.com

acdc01
11-30-15, 11:53 PM
I think it all depends on you. I use Microsoft outlook at work cause everyone needs to (in order to share their schedules with others).

I use google calendar for my personal stuff. I use Microsoft one note for notes. No hardcopy planner I'd ultimately lose.

But if you don't like tech stuff, this might not be right for you. Just give something a try and see if it works and if not, switch to something else.

aeon
12-01-15, 12:19 AM
Personally i have to actually write everything down, electronic planners just dont work, I forget to check them.

Electronic could work if i developed a habit of looking at it like email.

That is part of the reason I use Any.do. I donít have to check it. After I add something to it, it reminds me of that thing and any others until they are complete.

Cheers,
Ian

Unmanagable
12-01-15, 09:23 AM
I use the el cheapo dollar store monthly planners that are the 8.5 x 11 size, very similar to a desk planner. I keep a desk calendar on the kitchen table near the phone, use dry erase boards within my home, and a small note pad and pen in my pocket.

The cell phone gets on my nerves when it rings with a call or beeps with a text notification, so I don't think trying to utilize such an annoyance to help keep me organized would bring me much comfort.

But apparently, your whole life can now be right at your fingertips. That sort of scares me, too. Everything else that's been easy enough to condense so it's right at my fingertips has managed to become lost by me, never to be found again.

Little Missy
12-01-15, 10:38 AM
I'm a little out of sorts as my insurance company changed the look of their complimentary desktop calendar for this year and even though I still have another month on it left I have neglected to fill in the ahead of time stuff on the new one because I don't like it.

intothewind
12-07-15, 04:14 PM
I've noticed I tend to be fairly reluctant to change this sort of stuff. Never like a new phone, for example. I certainly can't be bothered to go get a new phone unless the old one breaks/disappears.

Socaljaxs
12-07-15, 05:12 PM
I'm a lefty too so I understand the struggle. Is your phone a smart phone at all? I personally use apps on my iPhone such as Evernote, 24me Google calander any.do and don't forget the milk. I also use gmail tasks and copy past items if needed..

As a lefty I have horrible penmanship and it will compete with a 2 year old and doctors writing and I probably would be worse.. So for me, I found typing or voice notes has been best for me in order to accomplish this.. Also if you don't have a smart phone or tablet, do you have any form of electronic that has access to notes and or calanders and contacts?

My mom is an index card and organizer girl, she usually picks hers up and Office Depot and I got one that I never use from there as well... but if you're bored do a google search and see ones that can cater to leftys and can be customized,

willow129
12-07-15, 07:02 PM
Kanbanflow is an online task planner. I don't think there;s a mobile app or even a mobile friendly website for it but otherwise I think, it's super brilliant. Very,very easy to use. It's really been a life safer at work.

www.kanbanflow.com

SAME
I wish I could do more with it
It's great for immediate to-do lists and tasks to be accomplished in general.

Not something for writing down appointments though.

InvitroCanibal
01-20-16, 02:24 AM
Post its and any hard surface. I seem to lose stuff in my phone but I have placed post it's on my phone lol

WheresMyMind
07-21-16, 11:13 PM
3. I am left handed, and spiral bound notebooks drive me nuts.

Why? As a right-handed person, I can't use the page on the left side of the spiral. How about you use only that page! Problem solved! That's what my leftie friends do....

Twiggy
07-22-16, 06:58 PM
Composition notebooks.

Greyhound1
07-22-16, 11:48 PM
OCD & post it notes everywhere.

stef
07-23-16, 06:04 AM
OCD & post it notes everywhere.

Hound thats interesting,
I think my cousin may be ocd and we were talking about adhd last springand she says well yes organized, but she has to write absolutely everything, on post- its

Chicky75
07-23-16, 06:28 AM
I used to use a small, cheap weekly planner. I generally remembered to check it, but there were occasionally things I'd miss.

Now that I finally upgraded to a smart phone (iPhone), I use that and my iPad. I like that I can set notifications for reminders not only on a certain date and time, but when I get somewhere - like, remind me to take out the trash when I get home. Also, since I have the 6s iPhone, it has the Hey Siri feature, which is completely voice activated, so I can be doing something else, remember that I have to do x on a certain day and if my phone is anywhere near me, just say Hey Siri, remind me to do x on y ar z time and it will write a reminder for me.

It works for me, plus I'm a geek and it makes me feel like I'm in Star Trek :D

Greyhound1
07-23-16, 05:51 PM
Hound thats interesting,
I think my cousin may be ocd and we were talking about adhd last springand she says well yes organized, but she has to write absolutely everything, on post- its

Unfortunately, I am not organized at all. Notes and OCD just help me not to forget important things I need to do.

Many times, I loose or misplace my notes or just forget to read them. Usually, if it's something important, I won't forget. I will have so many obsessive thoughts about it, I don't need to make a note but I always do.

Neither really help or keep me organized. They just help me to get by in life.:)

stef
07-24-16, 02:00 AM
what suprised me with my cousin is ididnt think she had to write things down in the first place. Also shes a college professor so i always thought, not shy in any way, but she has massive social anxiety. all her papers are super organized and neat and she has this lovely handwriting. i had no idea until recent years that she struggled with anything like that.

Somurio
08-29-16, 12:13 PM
Hey guys, was looking for a better planner than what I have, but it does seem as if I have the best based on what I found here.

www.gmx.com

Set yourself up an email, and then they have a planner system inside that, you can use custom settings to have it repeat weekly until a certain date, with XX minutes reminders optional for each addition.
I found this great for making the skeleton of my schedule and I was going to stop before fleshing it out to see if their was something better, because I wanted something interactive that I could check mark "complete" when I finish one of my task, but it doesn't look like I am going to find that, so this is just about the best I can get my hands on.

Finally best part of this, is their is a mobile app, so once you set it up online, take it with you everywhere using our cellphone, hope this helps other,

forward your work email to this email so that you can use it to add/schedule more easily, I have an email account just for making / editing my schedule.

Ezduzit
08-15-17, 05:39 PM
I am one of those people who will buy a million fancy planners and then use them as a coaster.
Same here... got plenty notebooks used for a few days each.