View Full Version : Methylphenidate causing/contributing to PEt?

JinzoBam
11-25-15, 04:54 PM
Hello all, I just registered here today after searching through these forums extensively for answers on my current issue (benign, but still VERY annoying..) and my searches have yielded no results.

I've read posts of people having TMJ, feeling ear fullness/congestion, among other things related to upper respiratory and vestibular stuff...

But has anyone experienced a Patulous Eustachian tube while on medication for ADD/ADHD? Either caused by it or intensifying the symptoms of it? If so, what are your methods/techniques for relief?

I've been diagnosed with ADD since childhood, but discontinued taking the medications due to weight loss from a combination of decreased appetite and adhesions on my colon from a surgery (along with 6 more lysis of adhesions as a direct result). I've recently been prescribed Methylphenidate once again, but unfortunately I can't give my dosage as I'm currently away from home.

The first occurrence happened after my rack and pinion went bad, and my cell had died... So I ended up walking 3.5 miles all the way home in muggy warm weather to call my father (he's a repo man, so paying for a tow was out of the question). The weather, meds, and allergies all worked against me: I was hot, my heart rate increased from the meds, and my nose just started running like crazy, so exerting myself and the constant 'hard' sniffling triggered autophony. Over a week or so of walking to work (at this point I'd wait to take my dose after I got there), I would get relief when I'd cool off, and by 'popping' my ears, but several days ago, no amount of ear-popping or relaxation provided relief, only bending down so that my head was upside down would, but the instant I swallow, yawn, or sniffle immediately undoes it. Today I scheduled an ENT appt, so hopefully I can get some answers soon.

aeon
11-26-15, 08:16 AM
I could find no link between patulous eustachian tube and clinical use of methylphenidate on PubMed.

That said, I found many mentions that a common associated presentation of patulous eustachian tube is weight loss. Consider that your weight loss could also have been influenced in this way, or perhaps been the factor with primacy.

Well Wishes,
Ian

JinzoBam
11-26-15, 10:02 PM
Well, the thing is... The past few days I've noticed a very large increase in appetite, so I don't know if that's the case. However, I'm more concerned now about the sudden increase in food intake with a decrease in pain caused by the adhesions.

JinzoBam
11-26-15, 10:41 PM
Apologies for the double post, I couldn't figure out how to edit (if it's even possible)

I didn't mention in the last post that I haven't been back on the meds long enough for any significant weight changes. Just thought that bit might be important (I've been consuming a special superfoods shake containing somewhere between 1400-1600 calories on a daily basis on top of my meals)