View Full Version : Best dry lip solution?

bluelephant
11-28-15, 09:11 PM
I recently went back on Adderall and my lips have taken a beating, I also live in a very dry climate and it happens every winter, but not this early. They are so chapped they are cracked and about to bleed.

My go to Chapstick is not working. The typical drugstore brands do not work either, as I am by nature dry. Can anyone recommend something heavy duty??

Little Missy
11-28-15, 09:45 PM
Surprisingly, right now I like Carmex cherry.

I really wish I could find something because my fingers and thumbs are splitting.

bluelephant
11-28-15, 10:21 PM
Believe it or not what worked on my hands is using Vaseline. I got the Target brand tub and used it all of last winter. It will feel gross because it's sticky, but that will fade, and my hands were rehydrated in less than a week. I literally had bloody cracked knuckles... ������ I also used a hand lotion under it at night.

dvdnvwls
11-29-15, 12:22 AM
I'm not convinced that a hand lotion under Vaseline would do anything that the Vaseline alone was not already doing. bluelephant, did you try it both ways and find that using both really was better somehow? I haven't tried.

Using either one (lotion or Vaseline) often works better after a shower or bath.

dvdnvwls
11-29-15, 12:33 AM
Oh... have you tried Burt's Bees lip stuff? Or one of the ones with vitamin E in them?

There are lip protection formulas that contain Vitamin E... or, if desperate and you don't mind if it's messy, you can buy a little container of liquid Vitamin E and put it straight on - in fact, you could even break open a vitamin E capsule. The capsules may contain vegetable oil along with the vitamin, but there's no harm in that. Liquid vitamin E is sticky/oily/shiny/messy.

meadd823
11-29-15, 12:45 AM
I wash my hands constantly at work and use all sorts of cleansing staff at home with the cats that really dries out my hands I use coconut oil on my hands but use it at night and put non sterile exam gloves wear over night while I sleep . This helps heal my hands. The trick to chap stick is using a quality one frequently without loose the damn stuff which is the challenge. I have a least a dozen tubes of chap stick rolling around my house, work station, car, ect

bluelephant
11-29-15, 12:47 AM
I'm not convinced that a hand lotion under Vaseline would do anything that the Vaseline alone was not already doing. bluelephant, did you try it both ways and find that using both really was better somehow? I haven't tried.

Using either one (lotion or Vaseline) often works better after a shower or bath.

What Vaseline does is act as semi-permeable barrier on top of the skin that prevents dehydration, there-by also encouraging healing due to limiting the exposure to the elements. However, it does not provide any additional nutrients that would be beneficial long-term the way a good cream would by being absorbed. It is much more effective togetherr, as well as faster!

Something else I do is put on a foot cream, layer Vaseline over it, and sleep in socks! Great for cracked heels. :)

P.S. You are right about after a bath or hand washing, it is the best time to use lotions to help lock in moisture!

bluelephant
11-29-15, 12:55 AM
Oh... have you tried Burt's Bees lip stuff? Or one of the ones with vitamin E in them?

There are lip protection formulas that contain Vitamin E... or, if desperate and you don't mind if it's messy, you can buy a little container of liquid Vitamin E and put it straight on - in fact, you could even break open a vitamin E capsule. The capsules may contain vegetable oil along with the vitamin, but there's no harm in that. Liquid vitamin E is sticky/oily/shiny/messy.

This is what my go-to chapstick has in it: soybean oil, candelilla wax, beeswax, castor oil, octylmethoxycinnamate (?), ozokerite (?), oxybenzene (?), cetyl esters, vitamin e, olive oil, allantoin, and linden essential oil.

I am going to guess that something in there is an irritant aside from the EO. I am going to look and see if I have some 100% vitamin oil.

dvdnvwls
11-29-15, 12:57 AM
I'm 99% sure that octylmethoxycinnamate is a sunscreen

Ozokerite is a clay or mineral I think, not sure...

Oxybenzene I have no idea

bluelephant
11-29-15, 12:58 AM
I wash my hands constantly at work and use all sorts of cleansing staff at home with the cats that really dries out my hands I use coconut oil on my hands but use it at night and put non sterile exam gloves wear over night while I sleep . This helps heal my hands. The trick to chap stick is using a quality one frequently without loose the damn stuff which is the challenge. I have a least a dozen tubes of chap stick rolling around my house, work station, car, ect

Which chapstick do you usually use? And I am going to try your glove trick, no mess and no absorption in the fibers!!!

bluelephant
11-29-15, 01:03 AM
I'm 99% sure that octylmethoxycinnamate is a sunscreen

Ozokerite is a clay or mineral I think, not sure...

Oxybenzene I have no idea

You are totally a smarty pants!!! :D

I just checked and the oxybenzone (was auto corrected by iPhone) is also a sunblock, ozokerite as you suspected is a mineral wax. Not too bad and really should work. Maybe my lips just want to be prunes this winter lol. :confused:

Unmanagable
11-29-15, 09:17 AM
I use coconut oil as an all over body moisturizer, and occasionally add shea butter to the mix, and chap stick medicated, or home made lip balms with a coconut oil base for my lips. None of the other store bought brands of lip stuff ever worked for me.

bellscotch
12-26-15, 05:46 PM
aquaphor is the best. i hate carrying the tube, so i decant some into a little flip-top makeup sample pot.

Little Missy
12-26-15, 05:49 PM
OMG worst experience of my life. Tried coconut oil on my hands and within minutes they turned into sandpaper! :eek: