View Full Version : Diagnosed with ADD, ADD meds don't work but Klonopin does. What does this mean?

sbcy
12-01-15, 03:40 PM
Taking 2g Klonopin initially (before building up tolerance) helps me concentrate for a couple hours unlike any other meds as long as it doesn't make me too sleepy or unmotivated (prescribed a stimulant called Focalin as well) and it allows me to initiate intelligent conversation (not just monologue). We've been chasing mostly ADD because that's my most disabling symptom - being able to CONCENTRATE. I refuse to take Klonopin long term due to the significant dangers. Plus, I build up a tolerance rapidly.
Having been on loads of SSRIs, SNRIs and ADHD meds both alone and in conjunction with each other, what implications might this have?

aeon
12-01-15, 04:59 PM
It might be indicative of you having an anxiety disorder.

Cheers,
Ian

BellaVita
12-02-15, 01:47 AM
Well, I see that you are diagnosed with GAD and OCD, so it's no wonder it helps you.

Honestly, Clonazepam is talked about in a bad way far too often - when really it can be a life-saver.

I was on it for years, and guess what? The withdrawal wasn't bad. I had a MUCH worse withdrawal from SSRIS and Trazodone.

I also felt more focused on Clonazepam - I think it's because it removed my floating anxiety and so therefore my brain cleared. It is not crazy that it is working to help you concentrate.

Maybe you are too sensitive to ADHD meds because of your anxiety disorders, and so they don't work as well as actual anxiety medication.

Don't be afraid of using it if it works for you, I didn't experience any negative effects after I was on it for a few years.

Best of luck.

dvdnvwls
12-03-15, 02:45 AM
A very rough explanation of something, in case your doctor didn't already: Ritalin molecules are in a twisted shape. Some molecules of Ritalin twist to the right, others twist to the left; it's about half and half.

The molecules that twist to the right have a somewhat different effect than the ones that twist to the left; the right-twisting ones contribute more to focusing the thoughts, while the left-twisting ones contribute more to changing the way the body feels, and the left-twisting ones also tend to cause anxiety more often.

Focalin is a form of Ritalin in which the left-twisting molecules have been filtered out, and only the right-twisting ones are put into the drug.

The reason I've said all this is: maybe a form of Ritalin is not the most effective ADHD medication in your case, and maybe a change might help. Focalin sounds maybe better than Ritalin for someone with anxiety concerns, but Focalin isn't necessarily the final choice either.

sbcy
12-04-15, 11:06 PM
It might be indicative of you having an anxiety disorder.

Cheers,
Ian

Yes, but I already have 3 anxiety disorders - Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) in addition to the ADD diagnosis I have. So I'm wondering whether my concentration problems from basically birth have just been symptoms of the anxiety. Thing is, the anxiety doesn't really manifest itself in physical symptoms. On a side note, I think this is deeply rooted in my genes. It's like I got both my parents' worst flaws when it comes to concentration and anxiety. I'm very persistent so I don't like to use the term "focus" when referring to my deficits. I'll obsess over a task more than most people around me.

dvdnvwls
12-05-15, 01:45 AM
Anxiety can cause a lot of concentration problems. Your feeling may be very accurate.

sbcy
12-08-15, 02:05 AM
Anxiety can cause a lot of concentration problems. Your feeling may be very accurate.

What do you think I should do next? Go to the doc and ask...ok...but I'd like to have a back up plan as I have before when my doc doesn't know what to suggest. I'm very reflective, but suffer from concentration difficulties - not typical of ADHD.

Funky1
12-08-15, 03:20 PM
I'm confused now. I knew ADHD caused anxiety, but it works the other way around too?