View Full Version : Please Help!

CantStayPut
12-03-15, 01:30 PM
I have a lot of mental problems. I'm on an anti-psychotic and a mood stabilizer for my schizoaffective disorder. I have PTSD. I have depression. And I also have ADHD. What a hand I've been dealt! :-)

Anyhow, I'm currently on 300 mg. of Buproprion for my depression, but it doesn't do much of anything for my ADHD.

I DO use a LOT of caffeine (in fact, I abuse it quite badly... I drink about 6 gallons of green tea every day, along with the occasional soda or coffee) and I wondered if that can somehow worsen ADHD? I thought stimulants were supposed to "calm" a person with ADHD down? Honestly, all of that caffeine gives me energy. Sometimes I get TOO wired and I have to take a PRN medication to calm myself down.

Is it possible that I've been misdiagnosed with ADHD and that all of this caffeine is causing similar symptoms to ADHD and mimicking it? I actually WAS diagnosed with ADHD as a child and was put on Ritalin for a while about 25 years ago, but for some reason I was taken off of it after a few weeks.

Perhaps that was yet another misdiagnosis? If I cut back on the caffeine (or stop it altogether) could a lot of my flighty inattentiveness go away?