View Full Version : Help with anxiety and depression symptoms

Anguscole76
12-03-15, 03:20 PM
So I'm going to make this short, first of all I'll say hello to everyone,hope your day is going great.Question for everyone,I'm looking for something to take to help cope with my horrible anxiety/depression,something that's natural and will not make me drowsy,I took a break from stimulants for 6 months via my Pdocs orders,I was on 18 mgs of Concerta.and need something to help,something I can take in pill form or liquid form or even powder form everyday.something that will not interact with the ovation all scotch drink I consider me suggestions are very welcomed,I live near a vitamin shoppe so I prefer going there.

KarmanMonkey
12-03-15, 05:09 PM
Probably would be good to consult a doctor or a naturopath on this. I only know that there are a few herbal remedies that have some benefit, but they can interact with a lot of medications (and with each other) so it's best to get some professional guidance.

In the meantime, non-medical stuff that helps me:

Exercise
Drinking lots of water
Challenging the doom and gloom my brain generates
Planning
Tea (especially herbal tea, chamomile, or ginger/mint to settle the stomach)
Chocolate (in moderation)
Salty food (in moderation, watch the blood pressure)
Mindful breathing and relaxation
Grounding techniques

Most of anxiety is past or future oriented. When you're anxious, if you can ground yourself in the present moment it can help immensely.

I'd also consider talking to your doc about the possibility of non-stimulant medication for ADD, as those tend to help better with anxiety and depression. I respect and empathise with the desire to go the natural route, but meds can sometimes be a helpful tool to allow you the peace and opportunity to develop the non-medical structure and plan

Delphine
12-03-15, 05:29 PM
I personally love Valerian tincture, and it helps me a lot. Perhaps you might find it worth a try. Ask for advice from your local vitamin shop.

KarmanMonkey gives great, solid advice there. Best to run everything by your doc so he/she has the full picture. I also agree that a good naturopath will give good advice and know about interactions with meds and other substances.

Lunacie
12-03-15, 08:59 PM
So I'm going to make this short, first of all I'll say hello to everyone,hope your day is going great.Question for everyone,I'm looking for something to take to help cope with my horrible anxiety/depression,something that's natural and will not make me drowsy,I took a break from stimulants for 6 months via my Pdocs orders,I was on 18 mgs of Concerta.and need something to help,something I can take in pill form or liquid form or even powder form everyday.something that will not interact with the ovation all scotch drink I consider me suggestions are very welcomed,I live near a vitamin shoppe so I prefer going there.

That is a very low dose of Concerta. Sometimes too low a dose can have side effects like drowsiness.

I tried a few "natural" supplements but nothing really helped me.

Now I take Zoloft (generic) to treat my anxiety and depression. Works very well for me.

Khamy25
12-15-15, 06:41 PM
Hi,

You should do a blood test to check you have deficiency in vitamins B6, B12 and serotonin. Any deficiency could have a huge impact on your mood.

I don't have adhd it's my child but I was depressed and anxious for many years I'm taking B complex tablets it's a combo of several vitamins b I'm feeling much better but I will check these three things by a blood test because I feel there is still something wrong.

dvdnvwls
12-15-15, 06:55 PM
Anguscole76: Do you end up drinking quite a bit of scotch sometimes, partly to help with anxiety?

sarahsweets
12-16-15, 05:08 AM
Medication is a first line treatment so I hope you reconsider that. How much scotch do you drink?

TygerSan
12-16-15, 08:32 AM
It's not a pill and takes a certain amount of time and commitment, but I've recently learned the hard way that my excercise schedule is not, in fact, optional if I don't want to end up biting people's heads off.

A vigorous walk, run or bike ride really clears my head. It's really hard to overcome the inertia and go out and do it, but the more I do, the easier it is to remember the clarity after the fact.

coffeesudoku
01-21-16, 12:48 AM
If you find a hobby that you like, then it might be able to help relax you better. Make sure that it's something you really do enjoy though. And another good one that I saw was drinking tea. I think that would also help out a lot.

qanda
01-23-16, 09:13 PM
My daughter therapist has helped her find tools to help with her anxiety. She told my daughter she may try many before she finds the ones that work. And she must practice them several times a day for 5 minutes. Some things my daughter does (although wish she would practice more):

Butterfly hugs - cross your arms and tap your right hand on your left upper arm, then your left hand on right upper arm, tapping slowly like once a second, while thinking of a pleasant experience you had, like sitting in a chair on a sunny day, with the sun beating on you, a cool wind, birds chirping. Tap about 8 times. Take a minute break. Can repeat as many times as needed.

Focus on your slow breathing. Feel the breath going in through your nose, your belly rising, then concentrate on the breath leaving your nose. If your mind wonders, no biggie, just return your thoughts to your breath.

Ground yourself- Bring the energy that feels like it's up near your head, or even hovering around you, and bring it down into your belly. Plant your bare feet on the floor to help yourself feel grounded.

Kind of Tai Chi I guess - Stand with legs shoulder width apart. Both arms flat at sides. Slowly raise arms out at sides and meet hands at top of head, while your breathe in, then slowly lower arms, palms down, armsmoving back to sides, while breathing out. Concentrate on letting in the good while breathing in, and pushing out the bad while breathing out.

Focus on 5 senses - find several (unsure of exact numbers but maybe 4) things you can see, (maybe) 4 things you can feel, 3 things your can hear, 2 things your can smell, 1 thing you can taste. Even carry a strong containers of mints so the taste is strong.