View Full Version : W32.Sobig.F@mm

Tara
08-19-03, 05:03 PM
Make sure you all have your anti-virus software up to date.

There was a new worm discovered yesterday. I have had it sent to me over 30 times today. Luckily I have not been infect though.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f@mm.html

Andrew
08-19-03, 07:11 PM
If anyone is interested, I would like to start a Security/Anti-Virus/Technology Area in the forums for notices such as this, along with helpful hints, etc.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

codeman38
08-21-03, 11:05 AM
Oww. I feel the pain; I had it sent at least 15 times to me within a matter of minutes yesterday. At least my host strips the infected attachments from the message... given the slowness of my university Ethernet connection at the moment, I would've hated to download that many copies of a 100kb attachment. :rolleyes:

In the process, I also received two or three bounce notifications for e-mails that were allegedly sent from my zone38.net address (but which, of course, I had absolutely nothing to do with). Argh. Why must we innocent third parties be taunted so?

And really, why do people open random attachments-- especially .pif files, which are nothing more than SHORTCUTS to programs and are of no use on their own? A little education and a little thought would go a long way...

(Incidentally, judging from the IP address found in the headers of the messages I received, the source was apparently an employee of a major clothing company, connected to the Internet via his company's router... ::shakes head:: )

Garry
08-21-03, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the link Tara it worked well

LilSisw/Add
08-22-03, 12:51 AM
Ugh, my mom got that on her computer at work. She was trying to help her boss go through all her emails since her boss is out of town. Therefore she didn't really know what to and not to look for like she does with her own emails. My dad usually helps her with her computer problems , but he is out of town. So I got to figure it out. Luckily I had already been helping a friend out with the MSBlast worm. And my brother had walked me through that process. So it wasn't too difficult to figure out where to get the info to help my mom and get it off her computer. Lucky for her she also caught it right away.

I joked with her though, that if the idiots who made the worms, and viruses suddenly stopped, they would put alot of ppl out of work :rolleyes:

Tina