View Full Version : Meds for child with ADHD and anxiety

juneyam
12-05-15, 05:22 PM
My son has been trying Intuniv, but to our disappointment, it is making him way too emotional - tired, irritable, anxious - which has been leading him to cry almost everyday. Is there another ADHD medication that helps decrease, not increase, anxiety and moodiness?

qanda
12-05-15, 08:09 PM
My daughter is extremely moody. Diagnosed with anxiety and ADHD. Her anxiety would lead to angry raging. She has been on Zoloft 100 mg for her anxiety for about a month & is doing so much better in regards to her anxiety and moodiness (knock on wood). Her doc also has her taking a high EPA fish oil of 1000 mg EPA daily to help with her ADHD.

Polymorphed
12-07-15, 07:16 PM
My son has been trying Intuniv, but to our disappointment, it is making him way too emotional - tired, irritable, anxious - which has been leading him to cry almost everyday. Is there another ADHD medication that helps decrease, not increase, anxiety and moodiness?

I wonder if the dose of Intuniv is too high for your child ...

Guanfacine has a biphasal mechanism of action. Basically, up until a certain concentration of it in our body, it acts entirely as a sympatholytic (anti-adrenaline, essentially), but after that level, it begins to activate adrenal nuerotransmitters, counteracting its purpose of prescription and exasperating anxiety and other aspects associated with high sympathetic tone.

Intuniv should not aggravate anxiety/adrenal overdrive if the dose is appropriately low. For this reason (among others, such as managing blood pressure), correct practice is to start off at a very small dose and increase very gradually until the patient or carer is happy or until symptoms worsen slightly, then you drop back to the last known effective dose.

Khamy25
12-10-15, 12:50 PM
Hi,

Juneyam any update for your son's medication?

My child has also been diagnosed with adhd, anxiety and mood disorders.

I was thinking about intuniv as it is supposed to help with anxiety.

I have seen a psychiatrist he doesn't want to put my son on medication now he wants to exhaust first all other options like help from school. But the school was unhelpful when we met them and his grades are falling.

I have another appointment at the end of December with the psychiatrist. I'd like to ask for medication to help at school.

My son is also taking 910 mg epa daily I've noticed a slight improvement. I plan to see a pediatrician to do a blood work soon to check any deficiency (ferritin, serotonin, vitamin B6, B12...).

juneyam
12-18-15, 01:18 AM
It's been a difficult month. Started with Intuniv 1mg/day (extended release guanfacine). Bad side effects, called doctor after 2 weeks, he said to try longer because could still be adjusting. Gave it 4 weeks and was ready to say bye to that drug. Doctor switched him to Tenex .5mg 2x/day (immediate release guanfacine), said it's less sedating. Within a few days, got multiple emails from son's teachers (5th grade) about impulsive/disruptive behaviors returning. (On the Intuniv, he was calm, not out of increased self-control but because he was so exhausted. He was a fraction of himself.) Doctor increased morning dose of Tenex to 1mg, afternoon still at .5mg. On second day, came home with multiple emotional outbursts, full of tears and frustration. Now doctor wants to wait two weeks to get meds out of system and revisit then. I'm so discouraged. Son has some anxiety issues so doctor doesn't want to try stimulants, but at this point, I just want to try for a week out of curiosity to see if they'll work. But we can't consider until after new year.

Luvthiscrzylife
12-18-15, 01:37 PM
My 10 y/o was diagnosed with having anxiety as well and is currently taking 20 mg Adderall XR, 25 mg Zoloft. I am not certain I've seen any changes in her with the Zoloft, but it is a very low dose. I could say maybe a tad more flexible, and she actually tried out for the school play, which is quite unlike her. So, maybe a tiny bit, but she hasn't had any negative side effects. She is supposed to also be starting on 1 mg Intuniv because she needs better control of her ADHD but due to a high pulse, they won't increase and opted for the Intuniv. Hopefully we have a better experience than you.

ashweb
02-11-16, 10:36 PM
Sometimes the anxiety can be caused by the ADHD. So if your doctor would be open to trying a tiny amount, I would suggest that. My daughter, however, is just an anxious personality type so stimulants have bad side effects for her. My son did great on stimulants. Every kid is different.

Dragondad75
02-16-16, 01:58 PM
Every kid is different and medication is hit and miss. Don't be afraid to try something else, and don't be afraid to tell the Dr. a medication is wrong for your child. We know our kids better than anyone else!

My 8yo son is a high functioning autistic, he takes 3mg Intuniv which helps him focus and concentrate during school, he can get tired in the afternoon so we give him caffeine usually in the form of mio energy. It works well for him. We gradually had to move up from 1 to 2 to 3 as he grew.

My 7yo daughter is ADHD. She is a happy bubbly artistic creative personality that reminds me of the Fancy Nancy book character. She can't sit still or pay attention long enough for nearly any task. The Dr. wanted to try a non stimulant first so put her on Intuniv just like my son. 1mg did nothing, 3 put her to sleep, 2 helped her focus at school, she could do her work, but it did something else. She became oppositional, defiant, crabby, lashed out at us and friends, was miserable all the time. We were starting to get complaints from other parents about her behavior towards other kids Because we were trying different doses we didn't really put 2 and 2 together, until the evening she told me everyone hated her, she had no friends, and the world would be better is she disappeared. I realized all the symptoms pointed to depression. Depression is not listed as a side effect of Intuniv, but within a couple days of taking her off, she was her happy self again. She is now on Quillivant (liquid Ritalin) 5ml in the morning and 2ml in the afternoon as a booster. When she comes down in the evening it isn't usually too bad, she gets overly emotional and sensitive for a 30-40 minutes, and we try to time it so she is going to or in bed. Not perfect, but so far the good outweighs the bad.

PandaMc
05-05-16, 11:36 PM
We've have very good results with amantadine (brand name symmetrel) he is 6.5 yrs. he tried many of the common ADHD meds in the past. They either didn't work or caused horrible side effects. We also use Prozac for the anxiety end of things currently. He has nightmares are well so he take Valium at night. He recently did a neuropsych testing, we are to receive results on Monday. He hasn't been on any Medicine for the past 4 weeks. We decided we wanted the testing to be done med free. Prior to slowly removing medicine he was on those for about the past year. He was doing well at school and sleeping at night. The down fall like any ADHD med is loss of appetite . He did eat with incentives . We feel like it's worth rewarding him to eat healthy and well as long as he continues to gain weight. The past 4 weeks have been very difficult for everyone involved . At school he has shown more emotions, he tends to get upset easy over little things. He also has to be redirected several times to complete a task if he is able to complete it. The one thing they do that we don't agree with is take away recess time. He needs that time to run and release his built up energy! He losses at least 5 minutes of recess everyday the past few weeks.
My point in sharing my journey so far raising him. As he isn't our son. We have him on a guardianship. We are always learning through him. We go to behavioral therapy weekly... She has taught us that he doesn't have the attention span like "normal" children if he had a bad day at school he all ready knows that. Just say.. Since, you didn't have a good day at school you have no..xxxx.. For your consequence ... Short & to the point.. More less..
I will say the amanidine has been working wonders for him. When he arrived with us he was 28lbs. He is now 35.5lbs when he is on medicine he was taking 250 mg of aminadine a day. That is give 3 times a day.. The only side effect he has from this medince is a dry cough.. The cough is less than .1% so it's pretty rare.. He's not a walking zombie or anything else!!
Good luck in your search for finding what works for your child

sarahsweets
05-06-16, 04:47 AM
He hasn't been on any Medicine for the past 4 weeks. We decided we wanted the testing to be done med free.
Did you also remove the prozac? I dont know if thats the best idea, or if it even weighs on any testing. I hope your neuropsyche stuff wasnt expensive as its not needed or necessary for an adhd diagnosis.

juneyam
05-20-16, 12:34 AM
Anyone have good experiences with Zoloft? Everything I've read seems to be negative. My son is supposed to start zoloft after weaning off guanfacine (it reduced hyperactivity but was also making him angrier and overwhelmed). Feeling so worn out and just want to get the meds right for him. I never expected the process to take this long. I really really hope the Adderall and Zoloft turn out to be the combo he needs. (it took a while to realize he had anxiety because it looked different from my limited understanding at the time) I don't know if I can handle seeing him struggle much longer - Teachers assert that they know how to best handle him but I feel like they don't understand him as well as they think they do (and he does not think they understand him at all)...His symptoms sometimes very directly affect him socially...I could go on. I'm just sad and frustrated and want to find the right mix that will help him feel in control of and comfortable with himself.

sarahsweets
05-20-16, 02:48 AM
Anyone have good experiences with Zoloft? Everything I've read seems to be negative. My son is supposed to start zoloft after weaning off guanfacine (it reduced hyperactivity but was also making him angrier and overwhelmed). Feeling so worn out and just want to get the meds right for him. I never expected the process to take this long. I really really hope the Adderall and Zoloft turn out to be the combo he needs. (it took a while to realize he had anxiety because it looked different from my limited understanding at the time) I don't know if I can handle seeing him struggle much longer - Teachers assert that they know how to best handle him but I feel like they don't understand him as well as they think they do (and he does not think they understand him at all)...His symptoms sometimes very directly affect him socially...I could go on. I'm just sad and frustrated and want to find the right mix that will help him feel in control of and comfortable with himself.

My daughter who is my youngest could never tolerate stimulants and we tried quite a few. She has major depression issues that led to a hospital stay last year and she began lexapro. It literally saved her life.