View Full Version : Raw Vegan Recipes and Why I Love Them

Unmanagable
12-08-15, 12:02 PM
I tend to eat much more raw food as of late, which does wonders for my energy level, clarity, and sanity in having to plan less complicated meals, with a few exceptions, and wanted to start a thread for recipes, mainly so I can find the good ones again and know what to avoid. :)

I thought I wouldn't be satisfied with raw options, especially during cold weather, but I'm digging it, and benefiting like a mofo in so many ways, one of which has been a 90 lb. weight loss. This is after trying purposely to lose weight for MANY years via weight watchers, jenny craig, paleo, gluten-free, Mediterranean, vegetarian, etc., etc.

So much money wasted and gut issues continually made worse via empty marketing promises, when all I had to do was simplify, keep it real, organic when possible, be mindful of food combining, learn to eat from the land in season, supplement with body specific needs, and transition slowly instead of diving into foolish fads, and ta-da! Health is slowly, but surely, being restored. High carb, low fat raw vegan and mucus less and mucus lean foods have been my body's most favored dietary choices.

The prep time and clean up has been much smoother than when I was dealing with meats, pastries, breads, and dairy stuff. I've learned to prep large amounts at a time to lessen the frustration when I want to make a quick meal. My heightened sensory preferences are really digging the less gross substances in the air and in the sink.

I still cook for most of the evening meals, but it's limited to sauteing, steaming, grilling, or roasting veggies and/or mushrooms, and occasionally using the crock pot for beans and/or soups. The trickiest part has been learning how much produce to buy and use before it goes bad. Which lead to me learning more about dehydrating and freezing many things.

I found most of my kitchen tools (vitamix, food processor, stick blender, juicer, etc.) used on craigslist or in thrift stores. If I couldn't find what I needed, I placed an ad in the "wanted" section and received a favorable response each time.

And yes, protein and calcium really can be found in plant based sources. :faint: lol I thought I'd certainly die without meat and yogurt and ice cream, most especially after eating it daily for 40+ years, but I'm still kickin' and healthier than ever.

Today's prep and menu is going to include:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-XwA_T8RE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGAlNZssJ9M

BellaVita
12-08-15, 01:03 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I'm always looking for new ideas.

I kind of miss being vegan, but at the same time it just isn't an option for me right now. But perhaps I can still make vegan meals now and then. :)

I've never liked the taste of meat, and can't stand the thought of eating a dead animal, so I am still happily vegetarian. :)

Excited to see all that you will share on this thread!

Fuzzy12
12-08-15, 01:36 PM
I want those fancy cauliflower stuffed mini peppers with salad!! NOW!!!! :eek:

(but I'm at work..so cookie and crisps it is:o)

Looking forward to your recipes!!:)

Unmanagable
12-08-15, 03:21 PM
I no longer eat store bought breads or crackers, so I'm always looking for ways to make cracker-like substances from leftover veggie pulp from the juicer. I made carrot/rosemary in my first attempt and they were yummy, but needed more seasoning.

Today, I took the celery pulp and tossed it into the food processor with some zucchini scraps, leek, shallot, onion, black pepper, cayenne, fresh rosemary, fresh sage, fresh oregano, garlic powder, and a little salt and spread out on parchment paper on a pizza pan and am baking/dehydrating it slowly at 180 degrees. Fingers crossed for a tasty outcome.

Unmanagable
12-09-15, 11:22 AM
The best laid plans always turn into an adventure.

I made the cauliflower rice blend, but didn't have cucumber, so I used radishes instead.

I already had a spicy red pepper/cashew sauce, so I just added a little organic french dressing to it to thin it out and used it for the sauce for the rice.....and YUM!

I stuffed the little sweet peppers, but didn't make an extra salad because I used all the dressing for the rice. lol

I served the stuffed peppers with leftover potato/leek soup, instead.

The dehydrated celery pulp cracker-like substance seasoned with onion, garlic, leek, rosemary, and sea salt, etc. turned out delicious and crunchy.

Will make both again, for sure.

Little Missy
12-09-15, 02:32 PM
oooooooohhh...I'm almost ready for lunch. Better run to The Health Nut. Unsy, you made me hungry!

SB_UK
12-11-15, 01:34 PM
Excellent - the raw vegan diet

nuts, seeds, cp oils, salads, fermented foods (kim chi has it all) - definitely -

I'm mixing all of the above (bar salad) using CP rapeseed oil with coconut water on the side as one meal
- and salad + EVOO + olives as another
-- so as the 2 standard meals in a day.

Thing is food prep time is zero so ADDer perfect - there's no cooking involved.
Cheap too.

Fermentation etc just requires a food processor to cut lots ! of veggies - but you prepare one lot of food for the month. Wife is great at cutting also.

-*-

-- partly taken by it as we can eliminate dish washer, eliminate oven, eliminate crockery, eliminate cutlery, eliminate kitchen, eliminate massive energetic requirements of cooker ... ...

The world is on a crash course for oblivion - it's about time that people stop burdening themselves with nonsense goods and return to a natural way of eating, sleeping, relaxing, breathing, exercising, living.
Raw veganism is a very important first step on the way back to reconnecting with a natural way of living.

Am I ?
Phases.
Currently have 1 oily fish in there also.

Have lapses which include cheese.

Don't really like fish and cheese makes my joints hurt though.

Fuzzy12
12-11-15, 02:08 PM
I no longer eat store bought breads or crackers, so I'm always looking for ways to make cracker-like substances from leftover veggie pulp from the juicer. I made carrot/rosemary in my first attempt and they were yummy, but needed more seasoning.

Today, I took the celery pulp and tossed it into the food processor with some zucchini scraps, leek, shallot, onion, black pepper, cayenne, fresh rosemary, fresh sage, fresh oregano, garlic powder, and a little salt and spread out on parchment paper on a pizza pan and am baking/dehydrating it slowly at 180 degrees. Fingers crossed for a tasty outcome.

You almost make cooking sound like fun :eek:

(Apart from sounding super delicious!!)

Unmanagable
12-11-15, 02:28 PM
You almost make cooking sound like fun :eek:

(Apart from sounding super delicious!!)

Thank you. :) I almost HAVE to make the things I do as fun as possible to keep up the momentum in wishing to maintain the healthier groove I've discovered.

I have to capitalize on the days I'm full of energy and desire to be creative to do the prepping that makes it easier on the crappy days when I just want to go back in time and call for delivery and fall off the healthy wagon. lol

Staying prepared is my saving grace. Have small cooler, will travel. lol Wishing more folks in the restaurant arena would catch on to the healthier raw vegan mindset and provide more options, other than just a salad that they typically serve with the factory-made dressings. Bor-ing....and yuck!

Unmanagable
12-11-15, 06:24 PM
Spanish "Rice" (using cauliflower as a rice substitute - I really dig this one)

1/2 head of cauliflower, pulsed in food processor until it's rice-like consistency

Put cauliflower in a bowl and add the following:

2 or 3 small roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow and/or orange pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 a jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I usually add a bit more)
1/2 tsp each of smoked paprika, chili powder, and sea salt
dash of cayenne, to taste

Mix together well and serve as is, or serve as a wrap in large leafy greens along with sliced veggies, or use as a "dip" with cucumber slices, celery sticks, etc.

If you don't like the thought of it raw, you can always saute the ingredients in a small amount of olive oil and enjoy it warm.

Fuzzy12
12-11-15, 07:42 PM
Brilliant. I didn't even know you could eat cauliflower raw.

I almost can't wait to be cooking again now... :lol:

Unmanagable
02-01-16, 11:16 AM
I guess the veganaise would disqualify this as being fully raw, but it's close enough since none of the other ingredients are cooked. My favorite cafe' makes a variety of this that I adore, so I decided to take a shot at making my own. Great idea. :)

Purple Cabbage, Red Grape, and Carrot Slaw

I used half of a small head of purple cabbage, sliced in small ribbon-like pieces, bite-size (always make salads bite-size, or else they're a pain in the a** to eat, especially when trying to cut the harder veggies and stuff flies across the room....lol)

Two medium sized carrots, sliced into matchstick-like pieces, as thin as you can safely get them while keeping all of your fingers in tact.

At least one cup full of seedless red grapes, sliced. (this is the part that can likely drive you over the edge, most especially if you're already close.....lol....but they sure do kick the flavors up a notch)

Add two to three tablespoons of veganaise (or whatever you choose to use) and stir thoroughly to ensure it's mixed well. Add sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

It tastes better the longer you can let it set before serving. Making it the day before is the best, but it's still pretty darn tasty when made in the spur of the moment, so don't let that stop you.

qanda
02-01-16, 10:37 PM
My daughter has been vegetarian then back to meat, now mostly vegetarian again. For no other reason than she really doesn't like meat much. But my husband and I like meat, so we struggle with meals for her.

She used to follow a raw food person on instagram, and we made a recipe she shared, which was pretty bad. I am eager to try your recipes to see if they are more to our liking. Thanks for sharing.

Unmanagable
02-01-16, 11:39 PM
My daughter has been vegetarian then back to meat, now mostly vegetarian again. For no other reason than she really doesn't like meat much. But my husband and I like meat, so we struggle with meals for her.

She used to follow a raw food person on instagram, and we made a recipe she shared, which was pretty bad. I am eager to try your recipes to see if they are more to our liking. Thanks for sharing.

I hope you enjoy trying them, too. :) I made the mistake of trying to create things that were most like dishes I used to love, for example, vegan mac and cheese.

It was rather disgusting and made me and the hubster both quite skeptical in trying other things. lol Learning to keep it simple and limit the number of ingredients was incredibly helpful.

dvdnvwls
02-02-16, 12:02 AM
To me, any food that is fake-something-else is probably not worth it. Food should be good because it's good, not because it sort of tastes like something else.

I do eat meat, but good vegan recipes are great for me too because vegans work hard to make their vegetables taste very good, and I gain from that effort. :)

Maybe a minor detail, but I have looked at a website called "truth in olive oil dot com" and some of the information on there has pointed me to good tasting healthy fresh olive oil that doesn't have to be expensive. Many of the famous brands that advertise themselves as "extra virgin olive oil" are poor quality, bad tasting, or in many cases not even from olives. The web site I recommended does tell you about the expensive stuff, but also (if you're a determined reader) shows you brands you can get at reasonable prices in supermarkets that are the real thing.

Unmanagable
02-02-16, 12:29 PM
Just made a "Clean Out the Fridge Raw Zoodle Sauce"

(zoodles are "noodles" made out of zucchini, using a spiral slicer)

A couple roma tomatoes
A couple regular tomatoes
1/4 sweet onion
1/4 red onion
1/2 red pepper
3 soaked medjool dates (my new favorite sweetener for recipes and smoothies)
1 celery stalk
Juice of one lime

Pulsed it all in the food processor until it was blended well.

Seasoned with a little pinch of this and dash of that: garlic powder, basil, cilantro, oregano, sea salt, black pepper, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and dulse flakes.

Haven't decided exactly how I'm going to serve it all up yet, but my wheels are turning and taste buds yearning. lol

Fuzzy12
02-02-16, 12:51 PM
Just made a "Clean Out the Fridge Raw Zoodle Sauce"

(zoodles are "noodles" made out of zucchini, using a spiral slicer)

A couple roma tomatoes
A couple regular tomatoes
1/4 sweet onion
1/4 red onion
1/2 red pepper
3 soaked medjool dates (my new favorite sweetener for recipes and smoothies)
1 celery stalk
Juice of one lime

Pulsed it all in the food processor until it was blended well.

Seasoned with a little pinch of this and dash of that: garlic powder, basil, cilantro, oregano, sea salt, black pepper, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and dulse flakes.

Haven't decided exactly how I'm going to serve it all up yet, but my wheels are turning and taste buds yearning. lol

Brilliant. I love the idea of using dates as sweetener. I'm always wondering how to sweeten tomato sauces and dates (or maybe figs??) sound like a much healthier alternative than sugar. (I often also use ground carrots, sweet peppers or sweet chillies to sweeten sauces, which works quite well.)

Unmanagable
02-02-16, 02:13 PM
Brilliant. I love the idea of using dates as sweetener. I'm always wondering how to sweeten tomato sauces and dates (or maybe figs??) sound like a much healthier alternative than sugar. (I often also use ground carrots, sweet peppers or sweet chillies to sweeten sauces, which works quite well.)

Yes!!! Haven't tried figs yet, but have heard others mention them. Red peppers have become a staple in my fridge now for that purpose.

I've learned in using the dates, that if you soak them for at least a couple hours before you use them, they blend so much better. I avoided them for a while because of the chunkiness in the smoothies. Yuck. I keep some soaking in a small amount of water in the fridge, and then add the water to the sauce if it needs more liquid.

Sun dried tomatoes are good to have on hand to throw in for a different tomato-y taste, alongside the fresh ones. Oh!!!! Dried mangoes are handy to have, too, to add for sweetening sauces. I always soak the dried stuff before using it.

dvdnvwls
02-02-16, 02:19 PM
In my limited experience with them, figs usually seem less intensely sweet than dates - it might take more of them to sweeten something. If what you're making might actually benefit from the taste and texture of figs anyway, then they would certainly be perfect. If you were less sure you wanted your finished product to taste of figs, you might have to experiment a bit.

Unmanagable
02-04-16, 12:03 AM
Here's a great vid of a delish raw marinara sauce and zoodle recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLi5657CSos

acdc01
02-14-16, 06:36 PM
Thanks a lot unmanageable. Bought the ingredients for the stuffed mini peppers so going to make it this week.

Unmanagable
07-10-16, 10:38 AM
I was afraid a zucchini hummus would be runny from the water content, but it isn't. This was another hit with everyone who tried it, including a couple peeps who cook for a living:

Raw Bean-Free Hummus

makes 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
1 cup diced zucchini (peel if you like)
1/3 cup raw tahini
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
2 teaspoons ground cumin

Blend in food processor until creamy and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve chilled with your favorite veggies.

Unmanagable
08-11-16, 12:25 PM
Haven't tried this specific blend yet, but will be soon. She has some amazing recipes and I love her energy. She also helped me realize how incredibly beneficial rebounding (on the mini-trampoline) can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFtiieytU84