View Full Version : How your child has been diagnosed? Evaluation, testing...

Khamy25
12-11-15, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I was surprised when after a 45 minutes evaluation the psychiatrist diagnosed : adhd, anxiety and dysthymie and talked about medication. It was too quick for me we refused the medication.

I was expecting few more sessions for evaluation and neuropsychological and/or psychoeducational testing. That's the process in France but the testing cost only few hundreds dollars in Maryland it's around $3000!

If I understand people use to do only an evaluation to diagnose their children, am I right?

Did someone do some testing to confirm adhd and find out if there is no other disorder?

I'm thinking about doing neuropsychological testing if it's covered by my insurance (they cover psychological testing) but I don't know if it worth it.

My husband said we'll never be 100% sure about the diagnosis I think he's right.

We sought a second opinion this time the psychiatrist diagnosed : add, mood and language disorders.

dvdnvwls
12-11-15, 04:41 PM
Do you strongly disagree with the psychiatrist? Or do you just want to be sure?

If you really do disagree, and you believe you already know what this really is, then go to a different psychiatrist.

If you don't strongly disagree, then try medication immediately. There is no long-term risk in trying it.

Khamy25
12-11-15, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I agree with him (the second psychiatrist) but we need to talk more next time because he said add not adhd I need to know if he thinks my son isn't hyper. Well during the one hour and half evaluation he did not move at all from his seat but it does not mean he's not hyper. He's predominantly inattentive and impulsive but he is quite hyper as well.

He said for him medication is the last solution after everything has been exhausted, for him there isn't any emergency we could wait few months the time to build a good relationship before thinking about medication.

That's where I disagree his grades are falling for me it's an emergency and I told him but he is more concerned about his mood disorder than his inattentiveness.

I think we'll see him every 3 weeks for a while I plan to do a blood draw at the end of December from my pediatrician to check any deficiency before talking about medication with the psychiatrist.

I do not know yet what to think about this pychiatrist. He said 90% of his patients are under medication because parents push for it. At least I know I won't need to fight to get mediaction if needed.

I wonder if it's usual to start medication after an evaluation before doing any testing? The psychiatrist didn't talk about any testing. When I asked if he'll check if my son has any deficiency he said briefly maybe for thyroid but later.

Is an evaluation really enough to make a diagnosis? My concern is what if he had more disorders alongside adhd? The second pyschiatrist diagnosed a language disorder which the first one did not. My son is fluent in English but he is bilingual.

dvdnvwls
12-11-15, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I agree with him (the second psychiatrist) but we need to talk more next time because he said add not adhd I need to know if he thinks my son isn't hyper. Well during the one hour and half evaluation he did not move at all from his seat but it does not mean he's not hyper. He's predominantly inattentive and impulsive but he is quite hyper as well.

He said for him medication is the last solution after everything has been exhausted, for him there isn't any emergency we could wait few months the time to build a good relationship before thinking about medication.

That's where I disagree his grades are falling for me it's an emergency and I told him but he is more concerned about his mood disorder than his inattentiveness.

I think we'll see him every 3 weeks for a while I plan to do a blood draw at the end of December from my pediatrician to check any deficiency before talking about medication with the psychiatrist.

I do not know yet what to think about this pychiatrist. He said 90% of his patients are under medication because parents push for it. At least I know I won't need to fight to get mediaction if needed.

I wonder if it's usual to start medication after an evaluation before doing any testing? The psychiatrist didn't talk about any testing. When I asked if he'll check if my son has any deficiency he said briefly maybe for thyroid but later.

Is an evaluation really enough to make a diagnosis? My concern is what if he had more disorders alongside adhd? The second pyschiatrist diagnosed a language disorder which the first one did not. My son is fluent in English but he is bilingual.
There is no test for ADHD - or, more accurately, the verbal evaluation your son already had is the only legitimate test. So, not only is an evaluation enough, it is the only thing that counts.

Good reasons to avoid medication for a physically healthy child who has ADHD: None.

I was a child with ADHD, but it was never diagnosed until my mid-40s. I really wish I had had the benefit of medication through my early adult years - I had a lot of failures and made a lot of bad decisions that are obviously a result of my having untreated unrecognized ADHD.

Khamy25
12-11-15, 07:25 PM
Hi,

So in usa an evaluation is enough. Maybe that's why the psychiatrist didn't talk about neuropsychological/psychoeducational tests.

I need to get used to for me it's as if a piece of the puzzle is missing because we didn't do any testing.

If someone did some testing don't be shy please tell your story! :lol:

BellaVita
12-11-15, 07:28 PM
Hi,

So in usa an evaluation is enough. Maybe that's why the psychiatrist didn't talk about neuropsychological/psychoeducational tests.

I need to get used to for me it's as if a piece of the puzzle is missing because we didn't do any testing.

Hello there,
It is accepted universally that there isn't a test for ADHD.

Perhaps they do some things different in France, I am not familiar with how it works there.

Meeting the diagnostic criteria and symptoms being present since age 12 is all that is required for an ADHD diagnosis.

Hope you find it well here. :)

CanadianDad
12-11-15, 08:14 PM
I think you're going to find with most people here (either for themselves or their children) the diagnosis was done fairly quickly by their family Doctor or Pediatrician. That seems to be fairly normal, and being honest, I think most of us knew that it was a probability before the testing was even done.
With our little guy, we did a private PsychoEducational test that ended up officially diagnosing him, but more importantly gave us and his school the needed information for his schooling. He is fairly young though and we wanted to get a more in-depth picture into his struggles and co-morbid issues (language and high-functions). You're correct though, a more in-depth PsychoEducational assessment is quite expensive. Luckily we were covered.
As for the ADHD PI vs Hyperactive vs Combined thing, I think it can be a little fluid sometimes, with a lot of kids being Hyper in certain situations but not in others. Since you've already gotten a second opinion, and both agree with some sort of ADHD diagnosis, whichever one you trust more, see what they recommend as a treatment and give it a try.
Good luck, stay strong, and you and your husband support each other as best as you can while you help your child.
p.s. I know medicating is scary and trust me, you'll question yourself at first. But it is ABSOLUTELY worth it in most cases. Just ask any adult ADHD sufferer on this board and they'll tell you the same.

Khamy25
12-11-15, 08:25 PM
Yes medicating is scary and I feel guilty.

My son's school is not helpful at all a psychoeducational test won't change anything I think we only talked to the counselor maybe the principal will be more understanding. If it's covered we'll do it to get a more in depth understanding of his weaknesses and strengths.

CanadianDad
12-11-15, 08:38 PM
Yup, some schools seem to be better than others. I see you talking about the school troubles in another thread. Follow the advise over there and see if you can get them to perform better. Sometimes just knowing what you're entitled to rather than asking what your entitled to gets them to actually get off their Asses and do the right thing.
I'm in Canada and we have slightly different rules, but still the waiting process for a school board evaluation was too long for us, hence the private evaluation. In retrospect though, it ended up being much better than the school would have eventually provided.
The school saw that we were heavily involved in getting what was right for our little guy, and they've been great the whole time, being very supportive. Hopefully you can ring out the same from your school :) Bonne chance et rester forte.

Khamy25
12-11-15, 09:44 PM
Yes when we met the counselor we had no idea about our son's right for evaluation and accomodations but now I have more knowledge. We'll write to the principal this time if my son is ok to get some accomodations.

I think I will trust more a private evaluation than one done by the school. We'll wait until we do the tests before contacting the school in written. Here the pschologist can do the assessment in Spring :scratch:.

Merci beaucoup!

sarahsweets
12-13-15, 06:24 AM
Regarding school, try and find out who you need to talk to to get him evaluated for an IEP or 504 plan. This can be the difference of him doing barely ok in school, to doing well enough to truly enhance his education. Some schools ask that you write a request to the child study team or office of special services, not sure how it works in Maryland.

Fuzzy12
12-13-15, 07:04 AM
Just wanted to add that ADD and ADHD are the same thing. ADHD is the newer term. Neither of them on their own specify if someone is primarily inattentive or hyperactive.

momto2js
12-13-15, 11:23 AM
I had a physcoeducational evaluation done for both of my kids. Mostly because I wanted to have the whole picture. I paid @$2000 for it. It was a valuable tool to get my kids what they needed in addition to medication. Our mental health coverage stinks so for us almost everything in that area is self paid and man it adds up fast!!

Khamy25
12-13-15, 12:48 PM
Just wanted to add that ADD and ADHD are the same thing. ADHD is the newer term. Neither of them on their own specify if someone is primarily inattentive or hyperactive.

Ok I thought add means no hyperactivity. Thanks!

Khamy25
12-13-15, 12:51 PM
I had a physcoeducational evaluation done for both of my kids. Mostly because I wanted to have the whole picture. I paid @$2000 for it. It was a valuable tool to get my kids what they needed in addition to medication. Our mental health coverage stinks so for us almost everything in that area is self paid and man it adds up fast!!

Fortunately for us it's covered by our insurance but it's hard to find an in network psychologist. I found one but I'm trying to find more for a better choice not sure she had experience with adhd I've asked her by email. It cost $3000 in my state.

I think testing is helpful as you said to get a full picture and maybe getting more accomodations at school as well.

Khamy25
12-13-15, 01:09 PM
Regarding school, try and find out who you need to talk to to get him evaluated for an IEP or 504 plan. This can be the difference of him doing barely ok in school, to doing well enough to truly enhance his education. Some schools ask that you write a request to the child study team or office of special services, not sure how it works in Maryland.

Yes I will check if we still want to request some accomodations (it's up to our child as well) but I think it's the counselor. She was unhelpful when we met her she said our child isn't entitled for iep or 504 because he doesn't have Ds in all subjects. I think it's better to send a letter to the principal this time.

I'm talking about this issue here :

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1775303#post1775303

momto2js
12-13-15, 03:17 PM
Let me clarify, the in-network providers, have been really really bad. I have truly gotten what I pay for. I do submit receipts to our insurance and generally get about 60% back.

dvdnvwls
12-13-15, 06:28 PM
Hi,

It isn't that the evaluation is considered perhaps enough, it is the fact that no other test has any validity at all and is rejected. No test, other than interview and evaluation by a professional who knows ADHD, has any meaning in a diagnosis of ADHD, anywhere.

The reason for this is that there are no things about ADHD that reliably show up on any test. There's nothing detectable in our blood, urine, etc. We can be highly intelligent, or not. Many of us get excellent scores on skill tests of various kinds. And so on.

It is possible, and sometimes necessary, to test for other things when considering a diagnosis of ADHD. That may be the type of test you're referring to. But if the ADHD is obvious so that tests to rule out other problems are not required, then testing outside of the verbal evaluation could simply be a waste of time and money.

Khamy25
12-13-15, 08:17 PM
Let me clarify, the in-network providers, have been really really bad. I have truly gotten what I pay for. I do submit receipts to our insurance and generally get about 60% back.

I found a psychiatrist who seems to be good not like the first one we saw but we need time to know him better. My son also likes which is a good sign.

Khamy25
12-13-15, 08:22 PM
It is possible, and sometimes necessary, to test for other things when considering a diagnosis of ADHD. That may be the type of test you're referring to.

Yes exactly. My insurance will cover it I think it's helpful to do it if I don't need to pay. Maybe we'll waste our time but I prefer to take the risk :lol:

Khamy25
12-16-15, 08:42 PM
Hi,

I've filled in the intake forms for neuropsychological testing in Children's Hospital Medical Center in Rockville there are various clinics in Maryland.
They will assess this :

- General intellect
- Achievement skills such as reading and math
- Executive skills such as organisation, planning, inhibition and flexibility
- Attention
- Learning and memory
- Langage
- Visual-spatial skills
- Motor coordination
- Behavioral and emotional functioning
- Social skills

My child is on a waiting list we will get an appointment only in Spring :eek: but I think it's worthy.