View Full Version : Cooked Vegan Recipes

Unmanagable
12-12-15, 10:30 AM
Been creating some cooked vegan dishes that I'd like to remember, also, so here we go:

Honey Dijon Roasted Cauliflower and Purple Cabbage

The recipe called for mixing specific amounts of dijon mustard, oil, garlic, etc., tossing the veggies in it, then placing on a baking dish.

However, I just used a little olive oil to lightly grease my baking dish and set it aside, then preheated the oven to 400 degrees, then added each ingredient by itself to the veggies, and added honey to the mix. (which is not considered vegan by many, so I guess I broke the rules already.....lol.....go figure)

Use 1/2 head of cauliflower, (but I plan to use a whole one next time since it was so tasty), wash, dry, and cut the stems from the head.

Wash and slice the small head of purple cabbage, with core in tact to hold it together, into about 1/2 inch slices. Hold cabbage with core facing upward towards the ceiling and slice.

Place cauliflower and cabbage in baking dish and use a brush to "paint" either dijon or spicy brown mustard directly onto the veggies. Not too thick, but enough to cover as much surface as possible. I painted each cauliflower "tree" individually to cover as much as possible, so maybe tossing it all together would be more user friendly for others. lol

Then drizzle a little bit of honey (preferably local raw honey) across the tops of the veggies.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, then broil for 3 to 4 minutes to brown a little more, if desired.

Hubster said it was the best tasting cauliflower he'd ever had, and he cleaned his plate before I was halfway done. :yes: (and he's not one to offer up compliments on veggies very often....lol)

Unmanagable
12-12-15, 11:56 AM
We were gifted a giant Hubbard squash recently and have decided to attempt a pie-like dish with it. Will report back on how it worked once I actually follow through.

Cut the squash in half, very carefully in hopes of each side being stable in the oven, and scoop out the seeds.

Slice and layer as many pink lady apples as it takes to fill both halves.

Mix the sliced (or diced, if you prefer) apples in a bowl with raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Stuff mixture into the squash halves, place on a baking dish, and drizzle with either local raw honey or locally sourced hickory syrup infused with vanilla, or local maple syrup, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until done.

This is my first time trying to bake with a Hubbard variety squash, and it's rather freakin' large, so I'm thinking there's great potential for an entertaining mess. May it at least be a tasty one.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............just had a thought to add cranberries to the mix. Yum!

Little Missy
12-12-15, 05:35 PM
That is just evil posting that recipe.

Fed Ex here, now!

Unmanagable
12-14-15, 02:01 PM
Tonight's menu will include a carrot/ginger/rosemary soup that has already been prepped and is slowly cooking in the crock pot.

I washed and cut about 24 carrots in half, added a 2 inch knob of peeled ginger, several stems of fresh rosemary, pink sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and just enough water to cover.

Once it's done cooking, I'll use a stick blender to turn it into soup and serve with some kind of fresh salad using local kale and swiss chard as the base.

dvdnvwls
12-14-15, 07:13 PM
Been creating some cooked vegan dishes that I'd like to remember, also, so here we go:

The recipe called for mixing specific amounts of dijon mustard, oil, garlic, etc., tossing the veggies in it, then placing on a baking dish.

However, I just used a little olive oil to lightly grease my baking dish and set it aside, then preheated the oven to 400 degrees, then added each ingredient by itself to the veggies, and added honey to the mix. (which is not considered vegan by many, so I guess I broke the rules already.....lol.....go figure)

Use 1/2 head of cauliflower, (but I plan to use a whole one next time since it was so tasty), wash, dry, and cut the stems from the head.

Wash and slice the small head of purple cabbage, with core in tact to hold it together, into about 1/2 inch slices. Hold cabbage with core facing upward towards the ceiling and slice.

Place cauliflower and cabbage in baking dish and use a brush to "paint" either dijon or spicy brown mustard directly onto the veggies. Not too thick, but enough to cover as much surface as possible. I painted each cauliflower "tree" individually to cover as much as possible, so maybe tossing it all together would be more user friendly for others. lol

Then drizzle a little bit of honey (preferably local raw honey) across the tops of the veggies.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, then broil for 3 to 4 minutes to brown a little more, if desired.

Hubster said it was the best tasting cauliflower he'd ever had, and he cleaned his plate before I was halfway done. :yes: (and he's not one to offer up compliments on veggies very often....lol)
I recently made something like yours, though mine was not as good because I didn't think of using mustard or honey. There are a lot of possibilities here for using different vegetables - it depends on three things - what you can get, what you like, and what won't be ruined by baking.

The tossing in an oily sauce is partly for the taste of course, but also to prevent the items from being scorched.

Parsnips turned out nicely in mine, if you like that sort of thing. Onions (cut into chunks rather than slicing thin) go well too, as do garlic cloves.

Anything that's leafy or thin or prized for its delicate flavour would probably fail, except perhaps if it was acting as part of the sauce.

Grated ginger as part of the sauce was really good - but I didn't use mustard - they might clash if both used at once.

Unmanagable
12-14-15, 07:54 PM
Parsnips are yummy. Had a root soup at my favorite cafe the other day. He used parsnip, sweet potato, carrot, salt, pepper, garlic, and a little cilantro. Warmed the innards rather nicely and the taste buds were diggin' it.

I want to practice making more sauces and salad dressings. Zoodles are one of my favorites, but I tire so quickly of the same old sauces I'm used to....like marinara. But then I hesitate and cave for the store bought organic option of french dressing, more often than not.

Tonight's carrot/ginger/rosemary soup turned out quite tasty. That'll be added to the list to make again. Yay! Threw a salad together with romaine, kale, green onion, watermelon radishes, red and yellow peppers, cilantro, and crimini mushrooms.

Unmanagable
12-18-15, 10:29 AM

Wanted to update now that I've fixed it a few times. I would continue to do the cabbage the same way, but changed the cauliflower part a little.

I now mix the mustard and a little oil together in a bowl, and the coarse stone ground mustard tends to be my favorite flavor, but dijon works just as well, then toss the cauliflower "trees" in to coat it. (I refer to each little cauli stem as a tree, and broccoli, too)

Unless I feel like serving it up to look sort of like brains, then I cut the cauli head in half, carefully remove the core, then paint the mustard on all the surface areas with a kitchen brush.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. The higher cooking temp allows the cauliflower to get nice and crisp on the outside and steam itself on the inside. Perfect consistency.

Let it bake for about 25-35 minutes, keeping a close eye on it so it doesn't burn. Once it gets nice and brown, it's ready. And OH MY GARDEN! It's so good, especially if you don't really dig cauliflower all that much. I may even be able to convert some peeps with this one!!! Hahahaha!!

stef
12-18-15, 10:41 AM
so it would be possible to do just the cauliflower and not the cabbage...? (like you described - and then drizzle with honey)

Unmanagable
12-18-15, 10:51 AM
so it would be possible to do just the cauliflower and not the cabbage...? (like you described - and then drizzle with honey)

Yepper. Been doing the cauli solo the last couple times. I get a kick out of having it "brains style", but others don't seem as tickled when I describe it. :giggle: Brain food looking like brains, what's the big deal. Geez. lol

Gonna try the sauce on some broccoli, yukon gold potatoes, and maybe even some white sweet potatoes in the near future, too. One of our favorite farmers is currently growing broccoli in his hoop house and we get some Saturday. Yummmmmmmm!!!! Hop on over the pond and join us for some grub, sometime, stef! :)

Unmanagable
12-22-15, 01:04 PM
I didn't create this one, but plan to try it out with a butternut squash I need to use:

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/slow-cooker-butternut-squash-soup-recipe/print/

Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:

2 cups vegetable stock
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
1 medium (uncooked) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
(http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/how-to-peel-seed-and-cut-butternut-squash/)
1 sprig fresh sage
1 white onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, or more to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
pinch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
(optional garnishes: extra coconut milk and cayenne)

Directions:

Add vegetable stock, garlic, carrot, apple, butternut squash, sage, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg to a slow cooker. Toss to combine.
Cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high, or until the squash is completely tender and mashes easily with a fork. Stir in the coconut milk.

Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. (Or you can transfer the soup in two batches into a traditional blender, and puree until smooth, being very careful when working with the hot liquid.) Taste, and season with additional salt, pepper and cayenne if needed.

Serve warm, with optional garnishes if desired.

dvdnvwls
12-22-15, 04:28 PM
Yes, certainly. Any combination (or lack-of-combination :) ) of vegetables that can be cut into chunks and that won't obviously be ruined by putting them in the oven can work. When using vegetables with different densities and textures, try to cut the pieces so that they have a chance of being done at the same time - a hard dense vegetable would have to be cut in smaller pieces so it wouldn't come out of the oven half done, while a softer lighter one could be cut in bigger pieces.

Unmanagable
01-03-16, 09:02 PM
Found this one on allrecipes.com and it's definitely a keeper.

The family went back for thirds.

Served it with steamed locally grown broccoli.

Ethiopian Cabbage Dish

Ingredients:

1/2 cup olive oil

4 carrots, thinly sliced

1 onion, thinly sliced

1 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric

1/2 head cabbage, shredded

5 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.

Cook the carrots and onion in the hot oil about 5 minutes.

Stir in the salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, and cabbage and cook another 15 to 20 minutes.

Add the potatoes; cover.

Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are soft, 20 to 30 minutes.

Unmanagable
02-01-16, 11:03 AM
Some more vegan yumminess coming at ya'. This was amazing, but I did a few things differently based on what I had available, which I noted below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJqPQmRvxR8

I had no cooked white beans (navy beans), so I used a handful of leftover chickpeas and some green split peas I'd cooked with ginger and garlic, instead.

I used red onion.

I had some white and orange sweet potatoes already peeled and cubed, so I just steamed those. They equaled about two sweet potatoes. We ended up with 5 patties.

I used an old school potato masher to mash it all up, and I chopped my onions a lot smaller than she did.

I used cayenne instead of chipotle. Gave it nice heat w/o biting back.

I added an additional 3 minutes of broiling time after baking.

We didn't have avocado.

I no longer eat breads of any kind.

I served them on romaine lettuce leaves (press the spines while drying them off, or use a rolling pin to roll over them to make them more pliable - and use two per pattie to make a more complete wrap or "bun" - use a toothpick to hold it in place - DO NOT FORGET toothpick is there! yes- it happened....lol), added spicy brown mustard, a little veganaise, roma tomato slices, and red onion slivers.

Definitely will make these again, and again, and again. :)

Unmanagable
03-03-16, 07:55 PM
This is simmering on the stove now, smells good, looking forward to testing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukBZZmREcc0

Ingredients (use organic whenever possible):
* Don't be afraid of the long ingredient list - you probably have many of these items in your kitchen already!

6 cups vegetable broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped + shredded carrots for garnish
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups dried split peas, rinsed
1/2 large sweet potato, chopped
bay leaf
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1-2 green onions, sliced
frozen peas (optional)

Directions:

Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Once heated add carrots, celery, onion, bell pepper (if using), and enough broth to keep veggies from drying out. Sauté for 5-10 minutes until soft.
Add garlic, sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant. Season with spices.
Pour in broth, dry split peas, sweet potato and bay leaf. Turn heat down to simmer for about an 1 hour (or until ingredients are soft).
Cool slightly, then purée half of soup in a blender. Return purée to the pan and mix with rest of soup.
Garnish with shredded carrots, green onions, frozen peas (if using), and salt and pepper to taste.

Unmanagable
03-11-16, 09:37 AM
That soup up above was delish!!!!

Whenever the urge hits, my next edible experiment will be this:

Pad Thai w/Zoodles (zucchini "noodles")

Pad Thai Elements:

2 zucchini’s
2 cups of beansprouts
1 red capsicum/bell pepper (finely sliced)
1 green capsicum/bell pepper (finely sliced)
1 red onion (finely sliced)
1/4 cup roasted cashews and/or peanuts (optional)
2-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. sesame seeds
lime wedges
Himalayan pink salt and cracked black pepper (for seasoning)

Sauce Elements:

250g Shiitake mushrooms
the freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 a lime
2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 red chilli (finely sliced)
1-2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tsp. coconut sugar
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Directions:

Step 1: firstly, flash fry the shiitake mushrooms for 2-3 minutes then transfer to a small mixing bowl, add all of the remaining sauce ingredients, stir to combine then set aside

Step 2: spiralise the zucchini’s to create zoodles (zoodles = zucchini noodles), transfer to a strainer, season with Himalayan pink salt and stand for 10-15 minutes

Step 3: heat the sesame oil in a wok, add the beansprouts, the capsicums/bells peppers, the red onion and the garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes, strain to remove excess liquid then transfer to a large mixing bowl

Step 4: rinse the zoodles, remove as much moisture as possible then add to the large mixing bowl

Step 5: add the sauce and the sesame seeds to the large mixing bowl, toss to combine then transfer to serving bowls

Step 6: finally, garnish with roasted peanuts and/or cashews (if using), the lime wedges and, if you’re like me and you like your food to have some kick add some extra red chilli

stef
03-11-16, 10:03 AM
Well here's something I discovered yesterday:
It's actually faster and easier to slice up 3 zucchini and sauté in olive oil than to cook the frozen organic stuff we usually have. (had some extra time so I bought some on my way home from work last night)

Unmanagable
03-11-16, 10:23 AM
This sounds mighty tasty, too. I might have to break my own rule of no cooked food for breakfast, like soon:

"Good Morning Mushrooms"

1 teaspoon olive oil
6-8 medium/large button mushrooms, sliced.
1 cup shredded baby spinach
1 clove garlic crushed
1/4 teaspoon, turmeric
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 avocado - pitted and skinned

Heat oil in pan on medium heat.

Add mushrooms and spinach.

Sauté until limp. Turn off heat.

Add garlic, tumeric and paprika and stir through.

Pile onto your avocado and season with salt and pepper.

RkitRkit
03-11-16, 04:16 PM
I made this chapati today and it's vegan
Hope it's helpful

Phulka or Roti is an Indian unleavened flat bread, made with whole wheat flour. The word "Phulka" is a hindi word which means puffed, so these flatbreads are made to puff on direct flame and known as phulka roti.

Ingredients
•2 cup whole wheat flour
•¾ cup water or more preferably warm
•A pinch of salt( optional))
•1 teaspoon oil (optional)

Instructions
1.Sieve the whole wheat flour in a large mixing bowl.
2.Add ½ tsp of oil and salt.
3.Mix it thoroughly. Now make a well in the dough add half of the water.
4.Begin to knead the dough.
5.In starting you can do it by spoon, soon it start crumbling.
6.Add a little more water and it slowly starts coming together in a ball.
7.Now start kneading with your your fist and knuckles till it is soft.
8.It took me about 12 minutes to make crack free dough.
9.The dough should not be sticking to your hands.
10.Once the dough is ready, smear remaining ½ tsp of oil over the dough.
11.Cover the dough with cling film or a wet cloth and keep aside for at least 10 minutes to rest.
12.Now roll the dough into a thick log and cut 15 equal size portion.
13.Take one dough piece and make it to a smooth ball.
14.Flatten it lightly and coat it in flour on both sides.
15.Keep the remaining balls covered with a damp cloth while you make the phulka.
16.Meanwhile turn on the gas stove and put the griddle to become hot.
17.Now start rolling them with a light hand from insideout to give a round circle.
18.Once the skillet get hot, sprinkle a pinch of flour if it gets brown fast it means tawa is hot.
19.Place the roti gently on griddle.
20.After 10 - 12 seconds flip it.
21.Now cook the roti for one minute.
22.Once you see there are brown spots on the under side, flip it over.
23.Now turn the gas on high flame and take the phulka off the griddle/tawa and place it on direct flame.
24.Phulka roti should starts getting puffed up.
25.Cook the roti on direct flame for 6 -7 seconds and let it puffs up completely.
26.Smear ghee or butter on top surface and keep them aside covered with cloth.
27.Now the second method
28.Roll the roti as described above.
29.Follow the next step : Place the roti gently on griddle.
30.After 10-12 seconds flip it. Now cook the roti for one minute.
31.Once you see there are brown spots on the under side, Instead of taking roti off the griddle flip it over tawa only.
32.As you flip it air will start filling in it.
33.Now you can lightly press down with a dry towel or spatula on the areas filling up so as to encourage the air to pass through the entire roti.
34.If there is any tear or hole, press the towel on it so the air doesn't escape.
35.Your hot phulka is ready. Smear some butter or ghee and keep them covered with cloth.

I found this recipe on http://www.rachnas-kitchen.com/
Find step by step with pictures at http://www.rachnas-kitchen.com/roti-recipephulka-recipe-how-to-make-roti-or-phulka/

Unmanagable
04-06-16, 09:15 PM
May these come to life in my kitchen, like really soon:

BAKED SWEET POTATO FALAFELS

1 large sweet potato (500 g raw or 1¼ cup cooked and mashed)
½ cup of raw chickpeas, soaked overnight
¼ cup chickpea flour
1 large garlic clove, pressed
1 level tsp salt
1 heaped tsp cumin
1 level tsp ground coriander
½ level tsp hot chilli
¼ cup (packed) fresh coriander or parsley, chopped finely
sesame seeds, to coat (optional)

TAHINI SAUCE

2 tbsp tahini
½ lemon, juice only
1 small garlic clove, pressed
1 tsp maple syrup
salt & pepper to taste
water

Method

BAKED SWEET POTATO FALAFELS*

Put a whole potato into a 200° C / 400° F oven and roast it until soft, it takes about 1 hour (depending on size). Let it cool down, peel it and mash the flesh up with a fork.
Rinse your soaked chickpeas and grind them finely (they should resemble medium bulgur wheat after grinding) in a food processor.
In a large bowl, combine mashed potato, 1 and ¼ cups of ground chickpeas, chickpea flour, garlic, herbs and spices. Mix it all very thoroughly and place in the fridge for several hours (or freezer for an hour) to firm up.
Using your hands, form small falafels out of the mixture. Mine were 30 g each. Once shaped, press them lightly into some sesame seeds spread on a small plate. If you have trouble shaping the mixture, you may need to add a bit more chickpea flour.
Pre-heat the oven to 200° C / 400° F. Brush a bit of olive oil onto a baking tray and place falafels on it, making sure they do not touch. Bake for 15 minutes on one side, then using a spatula flip onto the other side and bake for another 15 minutes. They are done when the exterior is crispy and golden.

TAHINI SAUCE

In a bowl, mix tahini with lemon juice and a splash of water.
Add maple syrup, garlic and a bit more water to achieve pourable consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

Notes

*It’s best to prepare the mixture the day in advance as it makes it easier to shape falafels and the spices have had a chance to mingle.

(shared from lazycatkitchen.com)

Vector
04-06-16, 10:24 PM
O, I see many delicious vegan dishes, well done Unmanageable. :)

Unfortunately, I only make quick and easy vegan dishes for myself. For example, I bought a packet of pre-deepfried and spiced tofu-cubes at the grocery store. Divided it in half so that yesterday I made a dish with it together with rice and broccoli; and today, I made a kind of Italian vegan dish with it together with spaghetti and tomatos. :)

Unmanagable
05-10-16, 09:56 PM
Absolutely divine:

https://sites.google.com/site/gardengrazerrecipes/vegetable-lo-mein?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F&showPrintDialog=1

Vegetable Lo Mein

Ingredients

8 oz. lo mein noodles (or spaghetti, linguini, rice noodles, etc.)
1 small red onion
1 yellow bell pepper
1 carrot, julienned
8 oz. mushrooms
5 green onions
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup hoisin sauce (I recommend Wok Mei brand for gluten-free)
1 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
1 Tbsp. sesame oil, more for drizzling

Other add-ins: broccoli, bok choy, mung bean sprouts, baby corn, asparagus, celery, cabbage, spinach, snow peas, tofu, ginger
Optional toppings: cilantro, peanuts, cashews

Directions

Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drizzle with sesame oil to prevent sticking, and set aside.

Meanwhile, slice mushrooms, red onion, bell pepper, green onion, and mince garlic.
In a wok or very large pan over med-high heat, add sesame oil.

Once oil is hot, carefully add mushrooms, red onion, bell pepper, and carrots. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes, or until veggies are crisp-tender.

Add green onions and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring continuously.

Add noodles, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce. Stir well to combine and heat for 1-2 minutes.

I used mung bean noodles and didn't have to drizzle them with oil.

I substituted liquid aminos for the soy sauce.

I didn't have sesame oil, so I used my usual olive oil.

I will definitely make this again, and again, and again............

Unmanagable
06-06-16, 12:33 PM
Gonna throw this together, eventually:

Creamy Kohlrabi Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]

Ingredients

Olive oil
2 cups of chopped kohlrabi, peeled and chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
5 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
Salt and pepper

Preparation

Into a large Dutch oven, add a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add your kohlrabi, carrots, onions and potatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes until they start to cook and caramelize.
After that add your broth and bring that to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and add your spices. Give it a good stir and let simmer for an hour or so.
Prior to serving, puree the soup in a high power blender or by using a hand immersion blender. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve topped with pumpkin seeds.

TygerSan
06-06-16, 02:15 PM
Ooh, I'm going to have to try that soup. I *love* kolrahbi. Cut it thin, use a tiny little spray of oil in the bottom of the pan and let it brown on both sides. . . add salt . . . this works when I have potato chip cravings.

qanda
06-07-16, 05:43 PM
Some recipes my 14 yr old daughter likes - who eats very little meat - most have protein:

Quinoa with black beans -
pour 1/2 cup Quinoa (buy it pre-rinsed) with 1 cup of water in a small pot. Bring to boil. Cover and cook on low heat until water is gone (about 15 minutes).

Meanwhile, saute a couple cloves of chopped garlic in olive oil in frying pan for a minute

Then, add a can of black beans to the garlic, and cook down until most of the liquid gone.

By that time, the quinoa is almost done. Mix the beans/garlic with the quinoa and DONE

Salad:
cut up cucumbers, add red onion, add chick peas. Use Italian salad dressing.

Kale with butter beans:
Saute Kale and butter beans in butter or olive oil in frying pan. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Salt/pepper to taste

Salad:
Chop kale, add sliced strawberries, add blueberries. We like Marzetti Simply Dressed strawberry poppy seed dressing as the salad dressing (found in the veggie isle in our super market)

Veggie fried rice:
-Chop an onion.
-You need about 2 cups of rice that's already cooked. I use "2" Minute Ready Rices (they are small microwavable cups of rice that microwave in 1 minute)
*Microwave the Ready Rice. Then Cook the onion and rice for a few minutes in preheated olive oil in a large frying pan

-Add frozen veggies and some water crest nuts to the rice/onion & cook another 5-10 minutes until the veggies are warm.

-scramble an egg. Push the rice to outside perimeter of the frying pan and add the egg to the middle of the pan. When egg is cooked, mix it in with the rice/veggies. Add some low sodium soy sauce and mix again. DONE

Unmanagable
06-07-16, 09:18 PM
That all sounded great........until the egg part. Blech. I find in my attempted restaurant travels how few folks understand that vegan/plant-based eating means no animal products. I'm often offered egg and cheese recipes as a vegan option.

qanda
06-08-16, 07:46 AM
Yeah, sorry, forgot about the egg not being cool. But we made it both ways & it taste great either way.

Unmanagable
06-12-16, 08:03 PM
Made the kohlrabi soup tonight and it was delish, Tyger!!! My favorite 9 yr old buddy even requested a serving to go. lol That's the greatest compliment a chef can hear.

Gonna throw this together, eventually:

Creamy Kohlrabi Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]

Ingredients

Olive oil
2 cups of chopped kohlrabi, peeled and chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
5 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
Salt and pepper

Preparation

Into a large Dutch oven, add a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add your kohlrabi, carrots, onions and potatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes until they start to cook and caramelize.
After that add your broth and bring that to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and add your spices. Give it a good stir and let simmer for an hour or so.
Prior to serving, puree the soup in a high power blender or by using a hand immersion blender. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve topped with pumpkin seeds.

Unmanagable
07-10-16, 10:29 AM
Diving into the task of making a bunch of this yummy lasagna today. Made it last week and it was a huge hit, even with meat eaters. Gonna deliver some and freeze some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPR_W2HQ8jg

Little Missy
07-10-16, 11:21 AM
Diving into the task of making a bunch of this yummy lasagna today. Made it last week and it was a huge hit, even with meat eaters. Gonna deliver some and freeze some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPR_W2HQ8jg

Sounds even better with eggplant.

stef
07-10-16, 01:54 PM
Well im going to go back inside and cook vegetables for this french summer salad I always thought was some huge mystery: diced turnips, carrots, potatoes, green beans and peas.
( oops im sorry tho but the sauce isnt vegan).
Ive been just buying this pre-made, for years.

stef
07-10-16, 02:27 PM
lol, not potatoes! good thing i checked the ingredients agzin.

Unmanagable
11-12-16, 06:25 PM
Good stuff. Even a few (former) brussel sprout haters have enjoyed it. Tossed in the do over pile, for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7LjLLYUOFo

Unmanagable
12-03-16, 04:38 PM
Gonna make a version of this later today, but I'll be adding leeks and garlic, using black and cayenne pepper instead of white, fresh rosemary, hemp milk instead of almond milk, and a little bit of fresh picked finely chopped spinach. Looking forward to the taste test. Not looking forward to all the chopping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsDkfoLi2oE

namazu
12-10-16, 11:40 PM
We have a farm share at the farm up the road, and last week got a giant squash and a small Long Island cheese pumpkin, cauliflower, potatoes, and assorted other stuff (mostly leafy greens).

Made a soup tonight, a variant on Vegetarian Times' "Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Chowder" with a bunch of substitutions for ingredients on hand, and made it vegan.

The ADHD version (didn't measure or time anything carefully!):

In a stockpot, sauteed mirepoix (onion, carrots, celery) in olive oil until softened.
Added enough water to cover and simmered for a while.
Added a big bowlful (maybe 3-4 cups?) of cubed pumpkin, a similar amount of chopped cauliflower, and 1 chopped potato (not sure of variety -- skin looked like russet with tinges of purple, but interior was more like a red potato) instead of flour/starch. Also added some ground pepper and a little salt (but not much, because I have high blood pressure).
Let it all steam/stew for a while.
Added 1 can light coconut milk and a pinch of dried thyme.
When it was all up to boiling and the squash, cauli, and potatoes had softened, I pureed it in the pot with a stick blender.
Added a bay leaf and some lemon zest and red pepper flakes, and threw in a fistful of ancient frozen corn from the bowels of the freezer.
Let it all cook another 10 min.
Served with some fresh-squeezed lemon juice and chives from the indoor herb garden. Toast points optional.

The actual recipe called for pre-made vegetable broth (either from home or from a store) rather than carrots and celery, and using that would save a bunch of time/prep at the beginning.

Comments on the recipe on the website suggested it was rather bland, and suggestions for spicing it up included adding curry powder, more lemon zest, garlic (which I can't eat), cinnamon....

In our version, it was pretty mild (which for some people might be a plus), but the texture and basic flavor were good. I think next time I might put in more red pepper flakes, and actually squeeze the whole zested lemon into the soup. And maybe our indoor herb garden will have fresh parsley or cilantro by then.

Here's Vegetarian Times' photo, since I didn't think to take a picture of my soup bowl. Obviously they didn't puree it:
http://static-vegetariantimes.s3.amazonaws.com/vt/styles/wide/s3/images/2014/10/Cauliflower_and_Butternut_Squash_Chowder-458x326.jpg?itok=763ZKIOE

Also made -- well, spouse made -- a couple of loaves of vegan [?] squash bread yesterday, which was good.
We used a squash whose name I can't remember; from the outside, it looks like an overgrown butternut squash with a long crookneck, but I don't think it was called a crookneck squash:
http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M78c49910c0a30d723c6f350744cb2151o0&w=265&h=199&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7
Alas, its seeds weren't that good roasted -- but not sure if it's the seeds, or my prep (though I've roasted other seeds that were good, and will try the cheese pumpkin seeds tonight or tomorrow).

Unmanagable
12-20-16, 07:55 PM
This was quick, inexpensive, easy and tasty, and can be blended/mashed by hand or with an old school potato masher, no food processor required. I served ours with some of my favorite spinach/artichoke hummus instead of what they suggested:

Sweet Potato Falafel

Delicious served with the tahini lemon dressing within a romaine leaf. These sweet potato falafel are healthy, tasty, and perfect for a snack or a meal.

Expansions: add 1 tsp of smoked paprika, 1 tsp lemon zest, topping the falafel with sesame seeds before baking.
serves 2-4

1 medium sweet potato, baked or steamed in the skin
14 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Place all of the ingredients into a food processor, and pulse until the ingredients are combined. Be careful not to over blend or puree.

The ingredients should hold together, but maintain their texture. Use a cookie scoop (about 2 tbsp) to scoop falafel balls and place directly onto the baking sheet.

Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.