View Full Version : Do I have ADHD-PI? Really need some advice

NewGuy94
12-18-15, 05:30 AM
Recently I've been studying up on ADHD-PI and I feel like I fit most of the symptoms. I've never been able to focus on anything specific for a long period of time. Every-time I pick a major that I feel I'm interested in, I lose the interest in a few months and start thinking that something else would be more interesting. I also suffer from anxiety issues and cannot perform tasks that normal people can. I have zero social skills and cannot deal with people effectively. The reason that I'm posting this now is I moved to a new country and I'm really struggling because I've to support myself financially and my parents cannot afford to cover even my basic expenses, let alone my Tuition fees(I moved from a third world country). I should have taken this into account when making a life changing decision with such a huge financial repercussion but now it's too late and I cannot change my decision. The current problem is that I'm really struggling with Student jobs like retail, hospitality etc. because I'm too slow and cannot pay attention to detail. Just today I went to a job that should havee been straightforward but I got fired after 3 hours because I couldn't pack takeaway food fast enough. So are my problems caused by ADHD-PI? and what alternatives do I have? I've never been diagnosed and don't even know how to go about the whole process here(costs etc. would be a huge deterrent) and I don't have any options to solve my financial problems because I'm an international student with to access to benefits and social security. I'm in a really terrible situation and any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Little Missy
12-18-15, 07:15 AM
You may need to try Student Services on your campus. They usually have great accomodations with jobs for students that are from other countries right there on the campus. Sometimes it is called a work study program and they never fire you.

NewGuy94
12-18-15, 07:37 AM
You may need to try Student Services on your campus. They usually have great accomodations with jobs for students that are from other countries right there on the campus. Sometimes it is called a work study program and they never fire you.

Thanks for the advice but I don't see them being too helpful because Uni I go to is like a degree for international students. They do have a student services but they are more inclined towards helping with the academics. I am also really worried about my prospects in the long run because I'm not able to learn any skills at all and recently I'm beggining to lean towards the possibility that I may have ADHD-PI. I'd also like to know how effective the medication's are and how to get diagnosed in Australia. I've heard that rules regarding psychostimulants are a bit strict over here.

Little Missy
12-18-15, 08:16 AM
You should make an appointment with a psychiatrist.

ToneTone
12-21-15, 01:23 PM
Keep it simple ... You may not need to go through expensive evaluation ... One, find a psychiatrist and schedule an appointment and ask about getting diagnosed ... Tell them exactly what you've said here. Or two, you might start with your family doctor. Same thing. Tell them of your suspicions and of your struggles with workload that you report here ...

Some providers do not put you through a long evaluation ... though some might want to ... but start simple.

Tone

NewGuy94
12-21-15, 09:01 PM
Keep it simple ... You may not need to go through expensive evaluation ... One, find a psychiatrist and schedule an appointment and ask about getting diagnosed ... Tell them exactly what you've said here. Or two, you might start with your family doctor. Same thing. Tell them of your suspicions and of your struggles with workload that you report here ...

Some providers do not put you through a long evaluation ... though some might want to ... but start simple.

Tone

Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking at my options once my 2 month waiting period for pre existing mental condition is over. Extensive diagnosis would be a huge burden on me financially so I'm hoping for a doctor who is willing to listen to the research I've done and just verify my doubts. Also is the medication prescribed straight away? I'm a bit worried about impact of psychostimulants because I also suffer from anxiety and I've heard Dexedrine users complain about anxiety issues. Adderal is not available here and riatlin is not that effective for inattention..

sarahsweets
12-22-15, 11:56 AM
How old were you when you were diagnosed?
Recently I've been studying up on ADHD-PI and I feel like I fit most of the symptoms. I've never been able to focus on anything specific for a long period of time. Every-time I pick a major that I feel I'm interested in, I lose the interest in a few months and start thinking that something else would be more interesting. I also suffer from anxiety issues and cannot perform tasks that normal people can. I have zero social skills and cannot deal with people effectively. The reason that I'm posting this now is I moved to a new country and I'm really struggling because I've to support myself financially and my parents cannot afford to cover even my basic expenses, let alone my Tuition fees(I moved from a third world country). I should have taken this into account when making a life changing decision with such a huge financial repercussion but now it's too late and I cannot change my decision. The current problem is that I'm really struggling with Student jobs like retail, hospitality etc. because I'm too slow and cannot pay attention to detail. Just today I went to a job that should havee been straightforward but I got fired after 3 hours because I couldn't pack takeaway food fast enough. So are my problems caused by ADHD-PI? and what alternatives do I have? I've never been diagnosed and don't even know how to go about the whole process here(costs etc. would be a huge deterrent) and I don't have any options to solve my financial problems because I'm an international student with to access to benefits and social security. I'm in a really terrible situation and any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

GoalieMel33
12-22-15, 05:05 PM

From my understanding, OP is undiagnosed.

Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking at my options once my 2 month waiting period for pre existing mental condition is over. Extensive diagnosis would be a huge burden on me financially so I'm hoping for a doctor who is willing to listen to the research I've done and just verify my doubts. Also is the medication prescribed straight away? I'm a bit worried about impact of psychostimulants because I also suffer from anxiety and I've heard Dexedrine users complain about anxiety issues. Adderal is not available here and riatlin is not that effective for inattention..

Depends on how conservative your doctor is (some like to start with a nonstimulant regardless of your situation), whether you have a past history of drug/med abuse, if you have a medical condition that might ''proscribe it'' (like hypertension) or a comorbid (anxiety or depression that is predominant or suspected to cause ADHD-like symptoms), the severity of your ADHD (can affect which treatment will be used), etc.

Abcdef
12-22-15, 09:36 PM

Age plays no big part in these things.

We can lead a destructive life and have things merely past off as dysfunctional wild child!

I would be more doubtful if the person has lead a successful life and "suddenly" thought "ADHD"

I wish my ADD was noticed when I was younger..easier to to diagnose a hyper active child in class rather than a constant day dreamer who can be panned of as a lazy no good-er

I wish my head had not been in the clouds so much.....