View Full Version : Appropriate age for testing

drb471
12-22-15, 08:45 PM
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked many times.

What is the appropriate age to have your child tested for ADD?
My 5 year old daughter started kindergarten this year, and she's definitely showing signs, but at school, and at home when we try to do her homework with her. We're also thinking that she may just be immature (not being mean towards my child, just being honest).

I'm ADD as well as Bipolar, so I understand the possibilities of passing it on.

Anyone?

dvdnvwls
12-22-15, 09:29 PM
I haven't actually read what I'm about to recommend to you, because I don't have any children...

Are you familiar with the section of this forum called "Dizfriz's Corner"? There is a ton of useful and important information in there, specifically made for the parents of children with ADHD.

mctavish23
12-22-15, 09:52 PM
Ditto on the above.

Dizfriz, like myself, is a retired professional counselor. As a former Licsensed Psychologist, I must have (seriously) conducted around 1K Psych. Evals.; mostly on kids. One of the things I learned over my 30+ years on the job, during which time I developed an evidenced based (research derived & supported) ADHD specialty practice, was that there are NO TESTS of any kind, appropriate for diagnosing ADHD.

Good luck.

mctavish23

(Robert)

sarahsweets
12-24-15, 03:16 AM
My son was diagnosed at age 3.5 and started meds at age 4. It was the best thing that I ever did for him.

Khamy25
12-24-15, 08:41 AM
Hi,

My child showed signs since pre-kindergarten but like you I thought he was just immature.

His behavior got worst at school and at home. He has been diagnosed this September at age 12.

Because you have also add you should test your child just in case.

mctavish23
12-24-15, 11:11 PM
A true evidence based diagnosis is based on questions regarding Family History and

Developmental Deviance (when compared with same age / same gender, non-ADHD peers).

The symptoms change with age, and are different for girls.

Good luck.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Khamy25
12-25-15, 08:06 AM
One of the things I learned over my 30+ years on the job, during which time I developed an evidenced based (research derived & supported) ADHD specialty practice, was that there are NO TESTS of any kind, appropriate for diagnosing ADHD.

What about neuropsychological testing? In this case how diagnosing accurately adhd? I know there are no blood test but there are tools they can use for assessment.

mctavish23
12-25-15, 06:18 PM
Neuropsych testing, which comprised 1/2 of my Internship, is THE least reliable of ALL

psychometric instruments (and the most expensive), due to the small sample sizes used in

developing the tests themselves, as well as both poor Face (i.e., the degree to which those

tests accurately measure what they purport to do) and Ecological Validity (i.e., degree to

which those instruments accurately measure constructs in the "real world").

As I stated before, Diagnosis is derived from Questions.

Good Luck & Merry Christmas

mctavish23

(Robert)

Skymall22
01-22-16, 06:39 PM
What would you suggest for us who are 100% that our 6 yr old suffers from either ADD or some form of cognitive delay. (Its seems as though he is about 1 - 2 yrs more immature than his twin brother)

sarahsweets
01-26-16, 04:05 AM
I would suggest a visit to a qualified psychiatrist asap.

Caco3girl
02-05-16, 02:45 PM
What would you suggest for us who are 100% that our 6 yr old suffers from either ADD or some form of cognitive delay. (Its seems as though he is about 1 - 2 yrs more immature than his twin brother)

I am new to this world, I have no history of ADHD and never had close contact with anyone who had it. I gather by the diverse group on here that everyone has their own breaking point.

For me, for my son, my breaking point was when he couldn't function in his everyday life like his peers were and it was affecting him on a social level and an academic level. When the teachers teach something in 3rd grade they teach, show, and repeat a few times. However, in 8th grade the teachers teach it....and move on. My son didn't understand his classes, teachers, assignments...he would show up to class and not know there was a test! He had a horrible time reading, couldn't figure out what to study, and his peer relationships didn't seem to be going well either....if you had a friend who barely listened when you talked would you confide in them often?

I actually asked for the school to test him for a learning disability, what they found was that he didn't have a disability he had an inattentive issue. I thought well yeah, he's a 13 year old boy, isn't that just part of the package? However, the school said "We have 1500 12, 13, and 14 year old boys in this school, what your son is doing isn't typical and may have a biological cause, we recommend you speak to your pediatrician about what you have seen at home, and so I did, and after written notes from the school and home were compared his fog was called ADHD.

He is newly on the meds but we are hopeful. So, I guess you have to ask...what is your breaking point?

Lunacie
02-05-16, 02:58 PM
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked many times.

What is the appropriate age to have your child tested for ADD?
My 5 year old daughter started kindergarten this year, and she's definitely showing signs, but at school, and at home when we try to do her homework with her. We're also thinking that she may just be immature (not being mean towards my child, just being honest).

I'm ADD as well as Bipolar, so I understand the possibilities of passing it on.

Anyone?

It's pretty well documented that kids with ADHD are about 30% behind their peers in some areas of development, making them seem immature.

Read everything in Dizfriz's Corner (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130), starting with The 30% Rule. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=641396&postcount=18)

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=641396&postcount=18

Tmoney
02-19-16, 10:58 AM
Because all children are different and levels of the disorder are different I don't think there is a set age that is the best. I was diagnosed at age 6. Because I was so hyper they knew something was definitely not right. We're talking about 1969! If I was ADD they may have never noticed!
Although they did test me with puzzles and questions and supervised play behind a mirrored glass, the information they obtained from talking with my mom and teachers was what they used to diagnose me.

At the time I would not sit down to eat or stop playing to use the bathroom. I was really bad! I had absolutely no fear of anything! I was a danger to myself and others around me. Without the medication I would have never made it through school or life for that matter!

sarahsweets
02-20-16, 05:39 AM
At the time I would not sit down to eat or stop playing to use the bathroom. I was really bad! I had absolutely no fear of anything! I was a danger to myself and others around me. Without the medication I would have never made it through school or life for that matter!

No you werent. You had a disability.