View Full Version : Taking Ritalin for the first time

Pixelatedmind
12-23-15, 05:26 AM
Hello everyone,

After second throrough screening and assessment, my doctor assured me i very much do have ADHD.

I got my first prescription of Novartis Ritalin 10mg instant release.. Starting at half a tab for two days then full tab. I only got 30 tabs.

Told to take it in the morning, expect a 2-6 hours effect duration.
I forgot to ask her whether to take it with or without food, i read somewhere that this is an important consideration.

I am about to take my first dose, any recommendations or insights?

Pixelatedmind
12-23-15, 05:56 AM
Also, how come is Ritalin so cheap? In my city it is the same price as a Marlboro cigarette pack ( ~ $3.25) for Novartis 10mg 30 tabs. As a tightly controlled stimulant that is limitedly available in a handful of pharmacies it is cheaper than my cold medicine.

sarahsweets
12-23-15, 11:49 AM
Well to your first questions, whether to eat or not, its dependent on how your body reacts to it so try it both ways. Some people will say it works better to take it on an empty stomach but if you have stomach issues then maybe not. AS far as how cheap it is, my theory is that its been around so long and now has so many generic ones available, that drives the price down?

Pixelatedmind
12-23-15, 01:55 PM
Well to your first questions, whether to eat or not, its dependent on how your body reacts to it so try it both ways. Some people will say it works better to take it on an empty stomach but if you have stomach issues then maybe not. AS far as how cheap it is, my theory is that its been around so long and now has so many generic ones available, that drives the price down?

That does make sense. I was just surprised when I went to buy it :D

I took my first 5mg on an empty stomach before breakfast, hours ago, and I had no effects that I could notice. Maybe it's too little a dose for me. I will wait for after tomorrow and see where the 10mg go.

Question
12-24-15, 07:52 AM
IIRC, my doctor said that its usually better with food. I was originally on a 10mg dose twice daily, but after the ritalin wore off, i would always get a really bad headache and feel very drowsy...its apparently the most common side effect.

Pixelatedmind
12-26-15, 09:45 AM
IIRC, my doctor said that its usually better with food. I was originally on a 10mg dose twice daily, but after the ritalin wore off, i would always get a really bad headache and feel very drowsy...its apparently the most common side effect.

I had neither effects or side effects with 10mg. I will try it today with food.

Question
12-27-15, 11:32 PM
My bad, i mistyped, i meant to say that i was on a 20 mg dose twice daily. At the very beginning it was 10 mg but it didnt do much for me, so the doctor told me to go to 20 mg and that worked.