View Full Version : Info about Mono?

sarahsweets
12-23-15, 11:43 AM
Thats right folks- Our Christmas break is starting off with Mono. I really was hoping for strep. I wonder if anyone knows how its spread? The doctor said its spread through saliva but she hasnt shared any drinks or kisses with anyone who was/is ill. Of course last night she was smooching the BF but the doc said she already had it. She told the boyfriend to be on the lookout. How else would she pick this up at school? The poor girl cant catch a break.

Abi
12-23-15, 11:45 AM
AFAIK only saliva.

PS smooching boyfriend? I thought she was gay?

Lunacie
12-23-15, 12:16 PM
Thats right folks- Our Christmas break is starting off with Mono. I really was hoping for strep. I wonder if anyone knows how its spread? The doctor said its spread through saliva but she hasnt shared any drinks or kisses with anyone who was/is ill. Of course last night she was smooching the BF but the doc said she already had it. She told the boyfriend to be on the lookout. How else would she pick this up at school? The poor girl cant catch a break.

Chances are that last night wasn't the first time she and her BF (best friend?) have been smooching.

I don't know how I got mono, I was working in a restaurant, but if the glasses and cups weren't disinfected by the dishwasher then surely someone else there would have gotten it?

I wasn't dating or kissing anyone at the time. No one else in my family had it. It was a mystery then and it's still a mystery now.

Abi
12-23-15, 12:18 PM
Maybe Mono has gone airborne.

TygerSan
12-23-15, 01:11 PM
Saliva= close physical contact including sharing utensils/drinks. So doesn't have to be kissing, and may just be unlucky.

dvdnvwls
12-23-15, 05:09 PM
It's very easy to say to any friend "Can I have some of your water? Mine's empty." And easy to forget doing that.

Even easier to have used a cafeteria utensil that was supposedly clean but wasn't quite clean.

BellaVita
12-23-15, 09:30 PM
When I was in grade school I got mono by sharing utensils/food with this boy who also had mono.

BellaVita
12-23-15, 09:51 PM
PS - Prepare for her to be sick for a long time, I think I missed 2 months of school and was sick with it for 3 months.

willow129
12-23-15, 10:22 PM
My Dad had mono before I was born, for like a year :( He was a farmer and had to quit that job, unfortunately. He never figured out where he got it from, he didn't know anyone who had it at the time.