View Full Version : Do dreams matter?

anonymouslyadd
12-26-15, 08:32 PM
I'm not talking about the dreams we experience at night while we're sleeping. I'm not talking about the daydream during Algebra class, either. I'm talking about the goal or aspiration so frequently linked to childhood, like becoming an astronaut or doctor.

Are those goals and dreams important? If so, why? What purpose do they fulfill in our lives?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AGiq9j_Ak

dvdnvwls
12-27-15, 12:33 AM
They can have a purpose, or not.

Sometimes - perhaps most often - those aspirations are no more than expressions of the childish desire to meet and exceed the expectations of parents and teachers.

anonymouslyadd
12-27-15, 12:40 AM
I apologize for the annoying way my OP turned out. I think the video made my signature act quirky.:doh:

anonymouslyadd
12-27-15, 12:44 AM
They can have a purpose, or not.

Sometimes - perhaps most often - those aspirations are no more than expressions of the childish desire to meet and exceed the expectations of parents and teachers.
We are told to follow our dreams. Why?

To what degree do humans naturally pursue dreams?

dvdnvwls
12-27-15, 01:45 AM

I suspect that the level of abstraction you're asking for will make any answers inconsequential anyway. Asking "Why dreams, at all, ever?" is likely to produce silly results. Giving a concrete example, and asking "Why this dream?" seems much more reasonable to me.

stef
12-27-15, 04:49 AM

I suppose, part of it is just a social " expectation" ( a thing a teacher or adult " should " say);

but then, its a beautiful thing to have aspirations and possibilities and it would be very wrong to tell a child, don't bother cause that's not gonna happen, kid.

degree? that would depnd on the person maybe; how is it that some are just driven naturally, from childhood? my aunt wanted to be a nurse. always. and she was, and that was her career and she loved it ( went back to work after her kids were born in the 70s, it was a big scandal in the neighborhood apparently).

i dont want to do the things i dreamed of as a child but that has not stopped me from dreaming of things and having goals.

anonymouslyadd
12-27-15, 08:19 AM
I suspect that the level of abstraction you're asking for will make any answers inconsequential anyway. Asking "Why dreams, at all, ever?" is likely to produce silly results. Giving a concrete example, and asking "Why this dream?" seems much more reasonable to me.I have the completely opposite view.

Little Missy
12-27-15, 10:03 AM
The headline threw me off a bit, I figured ole' p was at it again.

Of course dreams matter! They just wax and wane and evolve through time.:)

Unmanagable
12-27-15, 10:13 AM
It's the fuel that keeps me going, most days.

Not the dreams I had as a kid, but the dreams my heart holds daily. I have a feeling some of them may remain the same, but they are forever changing as I learn more and experience more in life.

Were it not for having dreams, I'd likely already be departed from this existence.

It's annoying to have peeps who automatically interpret that as just being of a childish mindset and not being capable of being a "responsible" adult.

But then I remember they likely were never given a chance to dream or had it disciplined out of them. I wasn't really taught, either. I just follow my instincts.

anonymouslyadd
12-27-15, 11:31 AM
It's annoying to have peeps who automatically interpret that as just being of a childish mindset and not being capable of being a "responsible" adult.
An ADDer like us had a dream of biking across the entire United States. He had to do it in piece meal. When he told his dad about his dream or goal, he said, "when are you going to grow up?" I'll never forget that. His dad must have been a miserable **** and indeed, he was an alcoholic.

anonymouslyadd
12-27-15, 11:42 AM
The headline threw me off a bit, I figured ole' p was at it again.

Of course dreams matter! They just wax and wane and evolve through time.:)
I'm thinking about writing a speech on the importance of dreams. I hope to have a better understanding of the issue to do it.

meadd823
12-27-15, 03:20 PM
An ADDer like us had a dream of biking across the entire United States. He had to do it in piece meal. When he told his dad about his dream or goal, he said, "when are you going to grow up?" I'll never forget that. His dad must have been a miserable **** and indeed, he was an alcoholic.

Underling in quote added by me.

In your opinion, is there a difference between a dream and a goal?

I can not really respond in a meaningful manner / understand the discussion until I understand if their is a difference in your mind between the two words.

anonymouslyadd
12-27-15, 04:52 PM
Underling in quote added by me.

In your opinion, is there a difference between a dream and a goal?

I can not really respond in a meaningful manner / understand the discussion until I understand if their is a difference in your mind between the two words.
I think that dreams are goals and vice versa.

meadd823
12-27-15, 05:04 PM
Then yes they matter. Without goals my life tends to go in circles thus I never get any where. Well not any where I want to go any way.

dvdnvwls
12-27-15, 05:23 PM
I think that dreams are goals and vice versa.
I think it isn't always the case. If my goal is to get my laundry done by tomorrow, and my dream is to live in the palace at Versailles... :)

anonymouslyadd
12-27-15, 05:55 PM
I think it isn't always the case. If my goal is to get my laundry done by tomorrow, and my dream is to live in the palace at Versailles... :)
I'm basing that on a dictionary reference.

dvdnvwls
12-27-15, 05:57 PM
I'm basing that on a dictionary reference.
The dictionary isn't a good place to figure out your life.

Little Missy
12-27-15, 06:02 PM
If I had a dream and I've had many, I set my goal towards the dream. I didn't meet some of those dreams but I sure have made many of my goals.

Gilthranon
12-27-15, 06:10 PM
I would say they help you understand why you think a certain way, better. I see it like in your dreams you take your mask of and your unconscious expresses itself

dvdnvwls
12-27-15, 08:11 PM
I agree on the concept that a big dream (or any dream) can direct your goals on the way to accomplishing that dream.

Having half of your dream is better than having all of something you never wanted or needed.

mildadhd
12-27-15, 08:25 PM
To me dreaming is imagination. Imagination is essential during every stage of human development.

BellaVita
12-27-15, 09:51 PM
The dictionary isn't a good place to figure out your life.

:lol:

Coming from the nerdy word boy! :)

dvdnvwls
12-27-15, 10:14 PM
:lol:

Coming from the nerdy word boy! :)
The dictionary is an excellent thing, but even I don't consult it to decide my future. (Except if my future turns out to depend on knowing a word I didn't already know. Somehow, though, I think I have enough words already, and what I need is found outside the dictionary. :) )

Dancer
12-28-15, 07:03 AM
Daydreams are like fantasies.

Midlife crisis is all about becoming disillusioned with life and the dreams and plans we had in our twenties.

A good positive, realistic plan for our life is the way to go.

Having said that, daydreams and fantasies are essential for our wellbeing. Keep them positive and wholesome because we do get what we expect to get - good and bad.

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans." - Woody Allen

SB_UK
12-28-15, 10:29 AM
I'm not talking about the dreams we experience at night while we're sleeping. I'm not talking about the daydream during Algebra class, either. I'm talking about the goal or aspiration so frequently linked to childhood, like becoming an astronaut or doctor.

Are those goals and dreams important? If so, why? What purpose do they fulfill in our lives?

That's interesting - I remember that the 2 options were just that ie rocket or brain scientist but who wants to live in yucky space ? and whyever would you want to open somebody else's head ?

Kids watching Sheldon on Big Bang Theory - and those were his 2 options also.

A mind surgeon is where it's at trimming away all the illogical edges until there's :eek: nothing left at all.

I know that I know nothing.

ps gatorade is bad
http://www.sciencealert.com/just-adding-sugar-to-water-is-as-good-as-or-better-than-energy-drinks-study-finds

SB_UK
12-28-15, 10:44 AM

Why do you think that nobody's Thanked your original post - I do believe ADDF is slipping.

SB_UK
12-28-15, 10:48 AM

SB_UK
12-28-15, 11:00 AM

Use vinegar in all your sweaty places - you'll never need to wash your clothes again - and as for Versailes - well just the thought of dusting the place should put some short shrift on that dream.

Life's better without a washing machine or a palace !!

Just ask Socrates.

Don't look at me; I know nothing but I know a TruthSia who does.
throw it all away,
never needed any of it anyway

stef
12-28-15, 11:01 AM
A goal, is like the practical sides to a dream!

aeon
12-28-15, 09:57 PM
Part of what makes dreams important to me is the fact they can be a source of pain when ignored, and so serve as a warning signal for a life not lived in accordance with those dreams.

Cheers,
Ian

SB_UK
12-29-15, 03:53 PM

So - the purpose of life to man with mind is to explore one's imagination through dreaming towards introduction of schemes into reality which one would call 'fun' -
with 'fun' we experience individuals becoming ever 'better' - call this becoming of ever greater individual personal quality.

Now the integral of personal intrinsic quality (a species quality scape) is the 'structure' which we're tasked with building.

Onerous :mad: I know :cool: - but the essential goal in life is to have more fun than is even imaginable and then some.

Somehow we'll manage.

SB_UK
12-29-15, 04:01 PM
another quality definition of enlightenment/renaissance and back again ... ... weeeeeeeeeeeeee!! (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1778283&postcount=37)