View Full Version : Musician with ADD, need help/suggestions

hyperpotato
12-28-15, 03:12 PM
I am a 23 year old musician. I've gotten a few things published, and have been working on a project (my first album) for about 2 years now. My goal is to get my album finished and published by the end of next year, but I keep hitting a major road block with my ADD. It's not so much that I keep getting distracted by stuff, or that I can't focus on it when i do work on it; in fact, when I can get myself to sit down and work I can do the ADD hyper focus thing. The problem is that I just can't seem to... well... "get around" to it. It's a lot like going outside to feed the dog, and then coming in an hour later without having fed it, but not because I forgot, just didn't seem to do it, if that makes sense.

This is pretty much my future job. I'm a music major in college, play a lot of instruments, and have put so much blood, sweat, and tears into my music. I would hate to be stopped by one of the things that made it possible. Does anyone have suggestions, or are in the same boat?

Thank you!!!

Roundmouth
12-29-15, 05:17 PM
Two years for one album - I'm impressed! My ambition is to record seven albums in one year, and I don't even play any instruments properly. Drums I can't play at all but they will be included on all tracks and I have no one else but myself to play them. Well, the big difference may be that my records won't exactly be played on the radio.

Lloyd_
01-07-16, 11:20 PM
I am a 23 year old musician. I've gotten a few things published, and have been working on a project (my first album) for about 2 years now. My goal is to get my album finished and published by the end of next year, but I keep hitting a major road block with my ADD. It's not so much that I keep getting distracted by stuff, or that I can't focus on it when i do work on it; in fact, when I can get myself to sit down and work I can do the ADD hyper focus thing. The problem is that I just can't seem to... well... "get around" to it. It's a lot like going outside to feed the dog, and then coming in an hour later without having fed it, but not because I forgot, just didn't seem to do it, if that makes sense.

This is pretty much my future job. I'm a music major in college, play a lot of instruments, and have put so much blood, sweat, and tears into my music. I would hate to be stopped by one of the things that made it possible. Does anyone have suggestions, or are in the same boat?

Thank you!!!

Have you considered maybe just doing the session musician thing? You could still work on your own projects "for fun" and do the session thing, recording or playing live gigs whichever you're better at.

You're majoring in music at your college so networking with others is a MUST! Especially if the scene is a tight knit one.

Work on some covers and record them, put it out there on youtube and promote yourself as a session musician. Just don't quit your day job in the beginning because it's one of the most difficult and most competitive fields to get into.

Anything to do with the arts, media, entertainment is almost impossible without knowing the right people, the absolute worst musician which seems like most pop musicians these days get where they are all because of who they know, not what they know. ;)

dvdnvwls
01-08-16, 05:48 PM
One suggestion, which you can easily take or leave but I hope you at least try it out:

You said this is your job, so try treating it more like that. Set yourself a schedule, don't show up late for work, and force yourself to write progress reports even though no one but you will read them. Just a list of what you got done each day, no more fancy than that.

I find if I make a list of goals for such a project, it backfires on me. The goal is obvious - the finished product as soon as possible. Instead, simply monitoring what you get done from day to day is simpler, more realistic, and doesn't backfire.