View Full Version : Strong smell of hairspray

BellaVita
12-29-15, 12:21 AM
Every once in a while lately, I've been smelling a STRONG smell of hairspray.

Weird thing is, I don't use hairspray, there isn't any spilled hairspray anywhere near me (I've searched), nothing that could generate a hairspray-like smell.

When it happens it is strong and makes me feel sick, gives me a headache.

No one else seems to be bothered or notice a smell of hairspray.

Has something similar ever happened to anyone else?

Any possible causes etc?

dvdnvwls
12-29-15, 12:28 AM
Do you smell it strongly at a certain place in the house and weaker everywhere else, or is this something that doesn't change based on your location?

BellaVita
12-29-15, 12:33 AM
Do you smell it strongly at a certain place in the house and weaker everywhere else, or is this something that doesn't change based on your location?

It has only happened when I am in my room, but I haven't exactly tested it in other areas because I'm so busy trying to find the source/overwhelmed by it.

It like, gets stuck in my nose too.

I usually have to get out to get some fresh air because of how sick/irritable it makes me, and the smell seems to be stuck in my nose somewhat.

It has happened 4 times in the last 2-3 months.

Once the smell lasted for hours. It was horrible.

dvdnvwls
12-29-15, 12:35 AM
So... if you go outside it's gone?

BellaVita
12-29-15, 12:37 AM
So... if you go outside it's gone?

The smell lingers in my nose.

Sometimes it feels like the smell is stuck to me.

So no not really, but the air helps somewhat.

It does get worse once I go back into my room though.

dvdnvwls
12-29-15, 12:44 AM
I'm thinking two kinds of things:

- something in the house that you notice even though others don't, because your smell receptors pick up some chemical that most people are not sensitive to

- an internal chemical situation in your own body that you're able to smell for some reason

I have no idea which one or how to tell.

dvdnvwls
12-29-15, 02:00 AM
Do you also get a strange urge to sing "Good Morning, Baltimore"?

Tracy, it's up to you! :D

stef
12-29-15, 03:36 AM
Has someone been in your building (visiting the landlord?) who wears hairspray or something scented and the smell came through a ventilation or heating system...?

BellaVita
12-29-15, 03:42 AM
Has someone been in your building (visiting the landlord?) who wears hairspray or something scented and the smell came through a ventilation or heating system...?

No, I don't think so.

stef
12-29-15, 04:28 AM
Are you sure that it's actually hairspray? (I'm not downplaying at all what you're feeling!)
but maybe it's some other kind of product somewhere, that could produce a hairspray like scent.

OMG this must be so preoccupying :grouphug:

LOL I sound like my dad, making suggestions! he just had to solve these kinds of things. he simply could not stop thinking about something until he knew. Like if someone else misplaced something. he would keep asking if we found it and say maybe it's in the closet, etc (even if it wasnt important and didnt matter any more).

BellaVita
12-29-15, 05:13 AM
Are you sure that it's actually hairspray? (I'm not downplaying at all what you're feeling!)
but maybe it's some other kind of product somewhere, that could produce a hairspray like scent.

OMG this must be so preoccupying :grouphug:

LOL I sound like my dad, making suggestions! he just had to solve these kinds of things. he simply could not stop thinking about something until he knew. Like if someone else misplaced something. he would keep asking if we found it and say maybe it's in the closet, etc (even if it wasnt important and didnt matter any more).

Haha, thanks stef!

It smells exactly like the hairspray I used to use for years.

Except, as if someone sprayed some everywhere in a large amount.

I don't smell it anymore, actually.

I don't have any product spilled anywhere that I could find...

Maybe I'll never know!

Fuzzy12
12-29-15, 05:26 AM
You mentioned a headache. Could it be an indicator of a migraine coming on? If I remember right they are sometimes preceded by strong specific smells.

Little Missy
12-29-15, 06:40 AM
I sure do hope you find it. That nostril clinging is not good. Does it invade the upper palate of your mouth and burn into your throat too?

Unmanagable
12-29-15, 07:30 AM
Happens to me rather often. It's like cellular memory stores the scents, too, and sporadically releases them. I tend to smell fabric softener that I used to use, body sprays, hair sprays, colognes and perfumes of others long since passed on, scents that bring back memories of traumatic events, etc. All this happens in my own home when the offspring isn't around and there should be absolutely no other scents in the air.

BellaVita
12-29-15, 08:30 AM
You mentioned a headache. Could it be an indicator of a migraine coming on? If I remember right they are sometimes preceded by strong specific smells.

I've never had a migraine.

I do get frequent headaches, that are triggered by many things.

I have had a headache every day since 2012.

BellaVita
12-29-15, 08:31 AM
I sure do hope you find it. That nostril clinging is not good. Does it invade the upper palate of your mouth and burn into your throat too?

No, no burning.

The one time it was the strongest I felt like I could almost taste it.

BellaVita
12-29-15, 08:33 AM
Happens to me rather often. It's like cellular memory stores the scents, too, and sporadically releases them. I tend to smell fabric softener that I used to use, body sprays, hair sprays, colognes and perfumes of others long since passed on, scents that bring back memories of traumatic events, etc. All this happens in my own home when the offspring isn't around and there should be absolutely no other scents in the air.

:grouphug:

Interesting that it happens to you too.

I was wondering if it could be a scent-memory of some sort that gets triggered. (I don't even know if that's a thing)

Little Missy
12-29-15, 08:33 AM
I've never had a migraine.

I do get frequent headaches, that are triggered by many things.

I have had a headache every day since 2012.

Headaches, the bane of my existence.

BellaVita
12-29-15, 08:34 AM
Headaches, the bane of my existence.

:grouphug::(

Dancer
12-29-15, 08:14 PM
The psychic in me can't resist asking, does the smell remind you of someone you used to know? :)

dvdnvwls
12-29-15, 08:55 PM
I don't know how to find out if there are any conditions (diseases, chemical imbalances, etc) that cause strange smells to magically appear.

Little Missy
12-29-15, 10:01 PM
phantosmia?

dvdnvwls
12-29-15, 10:16 PM
phantosmia?
This would be, I'm guessing from the name, "smelling a weird smell for no known reason"?

Little Missy
12-29-15, 10:19 PM
This would be, I'm guessing from the name, "smelling a weird smell for no known reason"?

Sort of, wiki goes quite in depth on it. And there are many different reasons for having the phantom smells.

Pilgrim
12-30-15, 06:30 AM
Maybe hyperosmia?