View Full Version : Professors with Adhd expertise

johnny_walker
12-29-15, 01:26 AM
Hi all, I was wondering if you know a professor in your area that is very knowledgeable in Adhd. I prefer to study in Holland but any other professors would be a good place to start with.

Regards
Johnny Walker

namazu
12-29-15, 01:33 AM
Sounds interesting, Johnny!

What major field(s) are you considering studying?

There are professors who approach ADHD from the points of view of psychology, psychiatry, education, genetics, anthropology, economics, and several other areas... You will get a different perspective and have a different experience studying with professors who approach the subject from each of these disciplines. (Of course, there is and should be some overlap...but the study methods and main foci will be quite varied.)

Also, would you be studying at the undergraduate or (post)graduate level, or doing some kind of independent study, or maybe just planning to take some courses offered by these professors?

johnny_walker
12-29-15, 02:47 AM
Firstly thanks for the reply. I didnt know it can expand that far haha. I just think within the medical science region. Never expected economics in that regard(unless were talking about impulsivity).

What i would like to do is within the field of psychology /neuropsychology/neuroscience. Since im prepared to conduct a phd and the theory I'll be doing looks convincing but not enough data/articles to prove its case.. Hence the reason why I would like to ask professors in that region. I know Russel Barkley is one, but I do not know any others. So yea feel free to post any professors out there!

Also i wanted to prepare for a major adhd conference in 2017 which I wanted to attend(quite ambitious but thats the goal ). But if i have some evidence. I can place that theory into the picture.

TygerSan
12-29-15, 10:28 AM
On phone and off the top of my head: Stewart Mostofsky and Barbara Denckla at Johns Hopkins (Kennedy Krieger) have some interesting work.

Barbara Sahakian and Trevor Robbins at Cambridge for the more general and theoretical work.

Xavier Castellanos at NYU.

Fuzzy12
12-29-15, 01:34 PM
Google papers on adHD . Pick the ones you find interesting and see who the authors are. Then Google the authors. Sometimes their affiliation is given on the papers as well.

namazu
12-29-15, 04:23 PM
At the PhD level, I would recommend taking the approach Fuzzy suggested.

You'll want to start becoming familiar with the scientific literature on ADHD, on general principle.

PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/)is one database where you can use keywords (including things like location) to search for scientific papers. It is sponsored by the US National Institutes of Health, and is free to search. PsycInfo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PsycINFO) is another database, sponsored by the American Psychological Association, and the database is available at many libraries. These will both bring up abstracts of articles matching the keywords you search. Some articles may be freely available online (yay!), but to see the full text of others (in journals that require subscriptions), you may need to connect through a university library or a public library that has a subscription or interlibrary loan agreement.

Even if no one has comprehensively studied the exact hypotheses you want to investigate (which is good, because otherwise you wouldn't have much left to write about for your PhD!), reviewing related literature could give you a very good idea of who's working on related issues.

Conferences can be great for getting ideas and for finding out who's most recently been working on what. I find them (at least in small doses) invigorating, because it's neat to hear what people approaching things from different perspectives are finding, and generally what's new and interesting.

If you approach a professor with the idea of having them advise your PhD work, be sure you've done your homework. Look at the work they've published (especially recently) and be able to explain how it meshes with what you're interested in doing.

Some prospective PhDs or postdocs send out messages indiscriminately to a lot of professors that do anything related to [their topic of interest] in the hopes that something will stick. I do not recommend this "shotgun" approach; most such messages get deleted or declined.

You're more likely to get a favorable response if you show that you've put more-than-superficial consideration into whom you're contacting and can articulate your reasons for wanting to pursue the hypotheses you mentioned with them.

(Be cautious not to overstate your confidence in your hypothesis, though -- part of being a mature and honest researcher is recognizing your own biases and being open to the possibility that you could be wrong. That's why you do the research, to find out whether there's evidence to support -- or sometimes refute -- your hypotheses! And sometimes really interesting findings come from being wrong or making mistakes.)

Without a bit more to go on -- ADHD + neuroscience/psychology/psychiatry + [what's your hypothesis about?] -- it's hard to make specific recommendations of people to talk to or whose stuff you should read. But hopefully the databases I mentioned (as well as Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.com/) or other sources), and the names TygerSan gave (all of whom have done some really interesting work) will provide you with some good leads.

Good luck, Johnny!