View Full Version : broccoli addiction

mildadhd
12-31-15, 12:08 AM
If I ate broccoli every meal for years, would I eventually become addicted?

SB_UK
12-31-15, 06:32 PM

With a dip?

midnightstar
12-31-15, 06:47 PM
Why would you want to try to get addicted to broccoli? :scratch:

mildadhd
12-31-15, 10:15 PM
With a dip?

Great question. I never consider what I take with the broccoli. Anything good. What kind of broccoli dip?

(lets start a list)

-is broccoli addictive
-is broccoli with a dip addictive
-is broccoli steamed and fried in olive oil addictive
-is broccoli..(recommendations appreciated)
-

mildadhd
12-31-15, 10:31 PM
Why would you want to try to get addicted to broccoli? :scratch:

Great question. I don't want to get addicted. I want to scientifically explore and discuss any possibility of broccoli addiction, before I begin my new years resolution to eat broccoli with every meal.

mildadhd
12-31-15, 10:46 PM
Does broccoli cross the blood brain barrier?

Unmanagable
12-31-15, 10:49 PM
Soups minus any dairy, salads, steamed, and raw with home made low to no fat dips are my favorite methods of broccoli ingestion.

I don't have it every day, but have greatly increased my consumption of it since switching to a plant based diet in April of this year.

Not feeling an addictive desire towards it......yet. And we get the good stuff that's grown by a neighbor in the same zip code. I'd say the risks aren't too great to give it a shot. Live on the edge a little. :)

Abcdef
01-01-16, 05:29 AM
When you eat things you don't particularly like on a daily basis you can become accustomed to them.

The chances of addiction setting in would be small-broccoli hasn't got that moreish appeal to it.

I think you will be ok.....haven't seen much rehab clinics for broccoli users :)

SB_UK
01-01-16, 07:04 AM
Does broccoli cross the blood brain barrier?

Makes broccoli sound a bit like the Starship Enterpise bumping along the edge of the Universe.

To boldly go where no broccoli has gone before.

Stimulation (blood glucose elevation) is the enemy.
Silent immersion in sun is your friend.

There's this epic battle between free dopamine and polymerized dopamine occurring in your head and free dopamine is addictively alluring like a broccoli floret coated in MSG and deep fried until it's gently tanned.
The cerebellum fails when neuromelanin is lost !

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26695514

It is generally accepted that the loss of dopaminergic neurons containing neuromelanin involves mitochondrial dysfunction, protein degradation dysfunction, the aggregation of alpha-synuclein to neurotoxic oligomers, oxidative neuroinflammation and endoplasmic reticulum stress, but the question of what induces these mechanisms remains unanswered. where
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11050221
Neuromelanin biosynthesis is driven by excess cytosolic catecholamines not accumulated by synaptic vesicles.meaning that we'll get more of the goody (neuromelanin) if we stop STIMULATING (blood glucose elevation) the baddy (synaptic vesicle dopamine release) ... ...

Or in other words your brain's your belly.

ps sugar, starch and glutamine coated broccoli is bad.

Corina86
01-01-16, 07:48 AM

No. You're only addicted to something if you can't stop taking it, if your brain craves for it so badly, you're willing to do anything to have it. Unless you absolutely love broccoli, not only will you not get addicted, you'll get bored of it quickly and you won't even stand the sight of it.

I like raw broccoli though. The boiled one not so much.

SB_UK
01-01-16, 09:52 AM
You could re-make Star Wars as the epic battle between mashed potato and raw broccoli.

Little Missy
01-01-16, 09:58 AM
I love it. I'll never drain my bank account for it or have clandestine alley encounters to obtain any. It can be annoying picking the bits out of your teeth though, unless you love to advertise your new daily broccoli eating endeavors.

mildadhd
01-01-16, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntp8_KFv59Y

mildadhd
01-01-16, 11:27 AM
Very helpful posts, thanks!

mildadhd
01-01-16, 11:38 AM
Soups minus any dairy, salads, steamed, and raw with home made low to no fat dips are my favorite methods of broccoli ingestion.

I don't have it every day, but have greatly increased my consumption of it since switching to a plant based diet in April of this year.

Not feeling an addictive desire towards it......yet. And we get the good stuff that's grown by a neighbor in the same zip code. I'd say the risks aren't too great to give it a shot. Live on the edge a little. :)

Very helpful, I heard broccoli calcium. :)

SB_UK
01-01-16, 11:55 AM
I really want to know whether radiotrophic fungae need things like Calcium, broccoli, Potassium and bananas sunny side up ... ... it's just the dark broody characters may be the best animal model of ADHD to date. They're notably slower growing than other fungae in the absence of light (similar to ADDers) but come into their own in the absence of food when immersed in the sun in the silence without a mashed potato bagel in sight.
Melanin is by far and away the coolest organic chemical polymer ever.

mildadhd
01-01-16, 12:17 PM
I really want to know whether radiotrophic fungae need things like Calcium, broccoli, Potassium and bananas sunny side up ... ... it's just the dark broody characters may be the best animal model of ADHD to date. They're notably slower growing than other fungae in the absence of light (similar to ADDers) but come into their own in the absence of food when immersed in the sun in the silence without a mashed potato bagel in sight.
Melanin is by far and away the coolest organic chemical polymer ever.

Sun before broccoli.

mildadhd
01-01-16, 12:43 PM
No. You're only addicted to something if you can't stop taking it, if your brain craves for it so badly, you're willing to do anything to have it. Unless you absolutely love broccoli, not only will you not get addicted, you'll get bored of it quickly and you won't even stand the sight of it.

I get bored easy, that's why I think an all or nothing broccoli approach maybe my best chance of success at this point. I prefer steamed broccoli to raw broccoli. Broccoli makes me happier. But I often forget. So far all the posts seem to indicate its extremely hard to get addicted broccoli. I am going to attempt to take broccoli four times a day on a empty stomack after some silence in the sun. Great discussion.

Fuzzy12
01-01-16, 02:00 PM
I don't think you need to be addicted to broccoli to be able to eat it regularly. If you forget having it regularly how about setting up reminders??

Am I missing something here? :scratch:

Little Missy
01-01-16, 03:59 PM
I don't think you need to be addicted to broccoli to be able to eat it regularly. If you forget having it regularly how about setting up reminders??

Nah, just talking broccoli all over the place.

SB_UK
01-01-16, 04:59 PM

I wonder whether we actually can get bored of the veggie.
Just wait till you're hungry is an idea - however if we're eating just to overcome the crushing boredom of life in dumbo world - then I don't think that broccoli cuts it - though I really do like grilled (turning black) broccoli - it's a treat.

Lunacie
01-01-16, 06:38 PM

Interesting username change. ;)

I like broccoli. If I did become addicted I don't that would be a bad thing. Green veggies are good for us.

mildadhd
01-01-16, 08:36 PM

I was discussing about addiction with a family member, when I wondered if I could get addicted to broccoli if I ingested broccoli like a panda bear ingests bamboo, etc? It turns out that discussing about broccoli addiction is a wonderful way to explore addiction, lessening distressful triggers. I did not expect to learn as much as I am about treatment for addiction using the broccoli addiction approach.

mctavish23
01-01-16, 08:49 PM
Still trying to picture Little Missy and her "dealer," making the "broc connection."

Deep stuff. Seriously, I don't recommend snorting it though. :lol:

UR Welcome :cool:

mildadhd
01-01-16, 08:51 PM
When you eat things you don't particularly like on a daily basis you can become accustomed to them..

Something I do not like on a daily basis that is good for me.

Something I do like on a daily basis that is bad for me.

mildadhd
01-01-16, 09:13 PM
I am really going to attempt broccoli rehabilitation, to eat broccoli with every meal, with the idea of replacing things I like that are personally bad for me, with things that I don't like that are good for me. There are tonnes of great topics already discussed in this thread to explore more. I will keep updating how the silence in the sun broccoli approach is going. My goal for now is to replace dairy with broccoli.

mildadhd
01-01-16, 09:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntp8_KFv59Y

Still trying to picture Little Missy and her "dealer," making the "broc connection."

See song maybe about Little Missy's alley free trips downtown starting about 2:25

"Local" broccoli ingestion sites are a "necessary first step", in reducing pesticides poisoning, etc.

Hathor
01-01-16, 09:59 PM
I am really going to attempt broccoli rehabilitation, to eat broccoli with every meal, with the idea of replacing things I like that are personally bad for me, with things that I don't like that are good for me. There are tonnes of great topics already discussed in this thread to explore more. I will keep updating how the silence in the sun broccoli approach is going. My goal for now is to replace dairy with broccoli.

I hope you grow to love it, I am about to steam some now and eat it with salt and butter - the thought has me drooling like a ST Bernard.

SB_UK
01-04-16, 07:55 AM
Was cabbage ever a contender ?

SB_UK
01-04-16, 08:17 AM
Today's 4th and 5th key stories tell us all we need about mainstream addiction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/12079233/Third-World-dentistry-crisis-in-England.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/12069267/Children-aged-five-eating-own-weight-in-sugar-every-year.html

Throw in starch and MSG and we've the evil brother glus that we need fear in addiction.

Cabbage has no evil within it.

Broccoli sounds like it might be the posh person's cabbage.
You need to know how many cs and ls in broccoli but cabage just doesn't sound right.

SB_UK
01-07-16, 12:04 PM
from the other thread (the opposite of love of addictive substances is ?) -
addictions are by definition harmful.

We need to assess whether at maximal broccoli consumption whether there are any measurable effects on health deterioration - which escalate on continued consumption.

mildadhd
01-14-16, 10:21 PM
from the other thread (the opposite of love of addictive substances is ?) -
addictions are by definition harmful.

We need to assess whether at maximal broccoli consumption whether there are any measurable effects on health deterioration - which escalate on continued consumption.

It's much harder to experience silence in the sun this time of year and maximal broccoli consumption, than I anticipated. Working in it. But eating a lot more leafy greens and avocado. I will let you know when I reach maximal broccoli consumption. How do we define maximal broccoli consumption neurophysiology?

dvdnvwls
01-14-16, 10:46 PM
How do we define maximal broccoli consumption neurophysiology?
That's a topic that could easily be discussed ad nauseam. ;)

mildadhd
01-14-16, 10:50 PM
That's a topic that could easily be discussed ad nauseam. ;)

"Broccoli is an edible green plant in the cabbage family whose large flowerhead is eaten as a vegetable...Broccoli is a result of careful breeding of cultivated leafy cole crops in the northern Mediterranean starting in about the 6th century BC."-Wiki