View Full Version : Recently started medication for ADHD.

BettyB
01-01-16, 03:17 PM
I have taken Ritalin when I was 7 and didn't respond well to it. I think the dosage or something was too high. Then I took Adderall when I was 15 for a few months and it worked well, but I was kid so... Didn't want to take the time to continue taking it. My anxiety/panic attacks, so impatient and frustrated all of the time, I'm so sensitive to "vibes" around me, everything bothers or distracts me, lack of social skills, ability to focus on day to day task or finish college or perform well at a job (unless it's one where I can run around and do things), sit down and read to my children... It's just get worse as I get older.

Anyways, I recently went to a psychiatrist and was prescribed Adderall 5mg, twice a day. I'm on day 4, since day 2 I started feeling overwhelmed. I'm not sure if it's because I have a lot going on my life and I really need help to finally achieve goals. Even simple goals like cleaning the entire house. Is this a normal side effect? Should I keep taking it? It's been helping a little, but I still get a distracted (I'm sure reading all of this you have already grasped that).

I don't know what to do. I'm so tired of being restricted. I want more for myself, I want more for my family. I see my Dr in a few days, but I'm unsure to bring this up. I just don't want to be taken off of it if it's going to help me. If anyone has any similar experiences please share.

Also I feel good when I'm doing stuff, it's just when I sit down to relax I feel like crying. I have no problem sticking it out if I need to. I would rather be crying than be angry all the time.

Pilgrim
01-01-16, 04:56 PM
I think adjusting to medication is a bid deal. I could tell almost immediately that it was helping in a way. I was so depressed and miserable that I would have tried to do anything in a way.
When it comes to tasks this is a bit of a mind game, if I'm finding it difficult I try to break it down a bit, and I just concentrate on one thing at a time. One of the markers I use in regards to how medication is working is my ability to plan and my level of anxiety.

Obviously if your anxiety is high you don't want to make it higher, in regards to planning if I I'm planning well the medication is working well; this is however dependent on many things ( diet ,sleep ,fluids, overall fitness).
The overall thing with medication is I find it relaxing, if it's not relaxing I'm wasting my time.
I hope this answered your question a bit. Goodluck

sarahsweets
01-04-16, 05:38 AM
Anyways, I recently went to a psychiatrist and was prescribed Adderall 5mg, twice a day. I'm on day 4, since day 2 I started feeling overwhelmed. I'm not sure if it's because I have a lot going on my life and I really need help to finally achieve goals. Even simple goals like cleaning the entire house. Is this a normal side effect? Should I keep taking it? It's been helping a little, but I still get a distracted (I'm sure reading all of this you have already grasped that).
Who with adhd, can clean the entire house with or without meds? I know that I cant. You may need a higher dose but dont expect things like that to show you that meds are working.

I see my Dr in a few days, but I'm unsure to bring this up. I just don't want to be taken off of it if it's going to help me. If anyone has any similar experiences please share.

Absoutely bring it up that you notice a slight improvement but not much. It could be a dose issue.