View Full Version : Seeking Help to Become a Professional Blogger

Noitartst
01-01-16, 07:25 PM
I sent out the following ad on Craigslist, and am seeking help, to become a professional blogger. If you know of anyone that could help mentor me, please let me know.

Hello; I'm 37, have aspergers, and am seeking a mentor, or someone that could help guide me into becoming a professional blogger.

It may be tooting my own horn, but I daresay I have talent, as a writer, and am seeking to make a living off it. To that end, I am ready to start by writing articles for the blogs of other people, or, alternatively, I am willing to partner with someone else on a blog, in order to gain experience.

Either/or.

That, and I really could use someone functioning as my agent, basically.

Sincerely, Noitartst

Hathor
01-01-16, 09:20 PM
Hi, I am not convinced you need a partner/agent. Sorry to be direct, but if you can't get a blog up by yourself with info found using a search engine you are probably in the wrong business.

mildadhd
01-01-16, 10:33 PM
ADDForums is a great place to practice discussing topics your interested in online. What topics would you blog about?

mildadhd
01-01-16, 10:42 PM
Look up vBulletin written at the top left corner of this forum's page.

dvdnvwls
01-02-16, 02:14 AM
I disagree pretty strongly with the view of ADDF as a practice ground for private bloggers. A discussion forum is not a blog, and treating it like one is IMO harmful to the forum and also just badly missing the point.

On a blog, you the author are in control of the content, and it is bad for your blog if you aren't.

On a discussion forum, if you are in control of the content - even on an individual thread - the whole idea of a forum is ruined.

mildadhd
01-02-16, 02:56 AM
I disagree pretty strongly with the view of ADDF as a practice ground for private bloggers. A discussion forum is not a blog, and treating it like one is IMO harmful to the forum and also just badly missing the point.

On a blog, you the author are in control of the content, and it is bad for your blog if you aren't.

On a discussion forum, if you are in control of the content - even on an individual thread - the whole idea of a forum is ruined.

I thought we all already had the option to start a blog here at ADDF?

dvdnvwls
01-02-16, 05:55 AM
I thought we all already had the option to start a blog here at ADDF?
Certainly, yes. It's an option not many people take - among those, fewer still write more than a couple of entries - and I hadn't even remembered its existence when I was writing my post.

acdc01
01-02-16, 08:02 AM
I remember some of your posts from earlier. Sorry, it sounds like you haven't been able to find the scaffolding help that you need so far.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing here but I'm going to be honest with you.

I remember your writing abilities from your past threads. My strong opinion is that while your writing was fine, it was not even close to professional quality. Don't feel bad about that, very few people write to that quality. But it means that not only will your mentor/agent/partner have to edit to the point where they are really rewriting what you wrote, they will also have to show you how to do everything else involved in making a financially successful blog.

That means they'll pretty much have to do everything for you. No "partner" or "agent" or "mentor" will do everything for you. You can probably do little pieces of things after they teach you how to do it. But for those things, they'd be better off hiring cheaper labor and keep the blog for themselves if they wanted that help.

What are your ultimate goals when it comes to a career? Is it to do something you are truly good at? To help others and if so are there a specific group of others you wanted to help? Is it to make a certain amount of money and if so how much? What subject matter were you planning to write about in your blog - maybe we can help you more if we knew what you wanted to write about?

I don't think you are headed in the right direction for achieving those goals right now. I think you'll need much more than the mentor/agent/partner your asking for if you continue to want to be a professional blogger. But maybe there is some other type of work that suits you better and will help you achieve your ultimate goals which is what matters.

Fuzzy12
01-02-16, 09:26 AM
Just curious: how does a blogger make money? Is it through ads? Linking other websites or products?

Oh. Or is it that on this case the people you write blogs for pay you?

acdc01
01-02-16, 03:13 PM
I'm regretting my earlier post. I think I was too against the idea and shouldn't have shown any bias at all as I can't see the whole story of your situation - sorry about that. I spent 15 minutes looking up some resources for you since I felt bad.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2050755_make-money-from-blog.html

This website talks about how to make money (ads, selling services and products, and it doesn't mention sponsors and donations but those are ways too) and also gives some tips on websites for hosting your blogs. I'd pick a website and then play around with it. You might be able to figure out how to set up the website yourself just by playing around with things on that site (and look at youtube videos as well).

If you need someone to help you out through every step of the process, I can see you needing to hire a number of people/companies. I see at least a web designer/graphic artist to help you set up the page and a writing editor (although maybe you can find one person who act as both). You might want to contact a marketing company specializing in either branding or internet marketing (not sure which, you'd have to research). Those types of companies can tell you the most important part of a blog - how to market and make money from it.

"71 Great Websites to Find Freelance Jobs" (http://www.printfriendly.com/print/?source=homepage&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffbooks.wpengine.com%2Fblog%2Ffre elance-jobs%2F)

The above lists a bunch of websites you can hire freelancers from to help you out with the job positions I mentioned above.

If you wanted to, you could also advertise yourself on those websites as a writer/blog editor. Note, if you do that, do not mention you have aspergers like you did in your craigslist ad. When looking for someone to hire (if you're wanting to hire them to help train you), it's probably a good idea to mention aspergers but when trying to find a job - no. Sorry but it's just like ADHD - you don't want to tell potential employers of your mental illness.

If someone answers your craigslist ad, be careful. I'm guessing that person isn't worth the dollars you'd pay them. I'd be even more careful if someone wants to hire you from it. People generally do not want to hire someone with aspergers for a writing position that requires the ability to understand and captivate an audience so something may be up.

Although I regret showing a bias against whether you try or not, I don't regret telling you that from what I've seen, you may have a number of weaknesses you should pay attention to.

Your writing skills so far do not (in my opinion) suggest a skilled blog writer. Your vocabulary seems excellent enough. I'm guessing your grammars fine too though I'm not strong in that so can't really judge. But I had a hard time understanding what you were trying to say in some posts and your writing was somwhat off-putting to me. Like I didn't get the sense you didn't realize you shouldn't mention aspergers when asking for a job on craigslist and may say things on accident that turn your audience away from you and not realize it. Also, some of your phrasing felt negative and would have turned me off as well - I didn't feel the charm required for captivating an audience. This is only my opinion which may be wrong but there were others that told you they had difficulties understanding you as well in your past posts so I don't think I'm alone in this opinion. Sorry if I'm sounding too harsh but I do feel like we need others to tell us of our weaknesses sometimes so I'm giving you my (not guaranteed to be right) opinion. I guess if you have a great topic, you can probably live with less charm but I don't know what your topic is.

Money and hiring people to help you can overcome many obstacles but be careful you don't end up spending a tons of money you can't afford on something that makes very little money.

One thing I was very impressed by you with is your perseverance. I hope you still continue to persevere and follow your dreams, whether you take the current path (blogging) you're thinking of or if you decide on a different path.

BellaVita
01-02-16, 03:27 PM
People generally do not want to hire someone with aspergers for a writing position that requires the ability to understand and captivate an audience so something may be up.

I don't understand, why do you say this?

Lots of autistics have very good writing skills and just because there are social issues doesn't mean they don't have the ability to understand/captivate an audience.

There are fantastic autistic bloggers out there.

acdc01
01-02-16, 04:24 PM
I don't understand, why do you say this?

Lots of autistics have very good writing skills and just because there are social issues doesn't mean they don't have the ability to understand/captivate an audience.

There are fantastic autistic bloggers out there.

I'm not saying autistic people can't be good writers just like I'm not saying ADHDers can't be good at their jobs - I know they can be.

It's just that the general public/employers rarely knows this and even if they do, they still see it as a risk and won't want to take a chance on you. So it's a mistake to let your potential employer know this about you before they've hired you (unless you have a really good story surrounding it but even then it's still a risk and the OP didn't have any story in his craigslist ad at all that would make aspergers a plus instead of a minus).

And me knowing the OP has aspergers didn't affect my views on his writing. Even if I hadn't known he had aspergers I would have said the same thing after reading his past posts because his posts suggested some weaknesses in his writing abilities. I'm not saying he's not a good writer by the way. I think he writes better than average and may even be good at certain types of writing jobs. I just suspect (though could be wrong) that there's some weaknesses in his writing he really should be aware of otherwise it may hurt him when it comes to blogging. I don't know, maybe I shouldn't mention other people's weaknesses that I see at all on this forum but for many of us, if we don't hear it on this board, we don't hear it anywhere.

InvitroCanibal
01-08-16, 05:25 AM
Professional is subjective to the audience you are writing for.

I'd look at writing for other blogs if you want to write. Freelancer.com is also useful. Look into submitting your work everywhere. Practice writing different styles. From creative to technical to humor and informative.

Don't take yourself or your work too seriously and don't take on more work than you can handle. You need to be freelance first imo before you start a website.

There are plenty of "professionals" out there that are excellent at confusing or boring their audience but the writer that is most valueable is the one that knows how to clarify and simplify all of the garbage that the "professionals" produce.

InvitroCanibal
01-08-16, 06:19 AM

A forum by definition means "A meeting ground to exchange and present ideas." To practice presenting an idea is to also practice writing.

Other than the cookies and milk, what else are you here for DVD?