View Full Version : reading books and artiicles

englanjk
01-04-16, 01:03 PM
I have lived most of my life with ADD and have gotten by for the most part but lately I have needed to really focus. I have always had problems staying focused on books (or anything for that matter) and I probably have not read a book from cover to cover since I was in high school 20 years ago. I will start a book and just read paragraphs over and over again because I won't take in what I just read. I have a desperate need to get this under control as my job is demanding my focus to get certifications and then host training sessions.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a handle on this issue?

thanks

sarahsweets
01-04-16, 01:28 PM
Books on tape.

englanjk
01-04-16, 02:16 PM
I actually have a subscription to Audible and it does help a bit, however my mind still bounces from topic to topic while I am listening to the audio book. So I get the same out of it that I do paper books.

Swordson
01-05-16, 03:56 PM
I can recommend something called "The Great Courses." These are lecture series on a wide range of topics recorded by renown lecturers from all over the world. I use them while I am doing household chores to help give my brain something to work on while my hands are busy cleaning, cooking etc. (makes it easier to actually complete said chores - just listening while doing nothing does not work, then I constantly pick up my phone to google something that I heard about or something.) With noise cancellation head phones on, they help me shut out noise and other distractions while feeding me something stimulating and interesting. (I love history, and have already finished two lectures series on ancient Rome, one on Victorian Britain, and one on the history of the Far East.)

Unmanagable
01-05-16, 06:32 PM
It helps me to listen while driving or doing tasks, too. The narrator must have a non-annoying voice, or all bets are off. Bath time is another good opportunity to listen. If I try to make myself sit down and listen, I get too easily distracted and want to be elsewhere.

I can read if the book/article engages my senses early on. I scan what doesn't keep my attention, so I may not finish something word for word, but I can often get through the majority of it, IF it holds my interest.

Wireless headphones rock my world. Until I get startled, then I hate them. lol

acdc01
01-06-16, 11:22 PM
Meds.

When do you read? Read during the hour(s) you are most alert.

Read in a small, fairly empty, white walled room or as close to this as you can get.

Try noise cancellation headphones if you have to be in a loud room.

Try putting on headphones with different types of music and see how that affects your concentration. You'd think it'd make it worse but I found that while driving, it actually helped me concentrate when not on meds. It's cause normally, I'd be flip flopping between multiple thoughts while with music, my mind only switched between 2 things (mainly) - music and the road. Interestingly, with meds, I was better with the music turned off.

Read outloud.

Try breaks and try reading for extended periods.

Basically just try a whole bunch of stuff to see if anything works.

anonymouslyadd
01-07-16, 02:57 AM
I have lived most of my life with ADD and have gotten by for the most part but lately I have needed to really focus. I have always had problems staying focused on books (or anything for that matter) and I probably have not read a book from cover to cover since I was in high school 20 years ago. I will start a book and just read paragraphs over and over again because I won't take in what I just read. I have a desperate need to get this under control as my job is demanding my focus to get certifications and then host training sessions.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a handle on this issue?

thanks
Write the most important information on note cards and carry them around with you. Note cards are easy to carry around.

acdc01
01-07-16, 04:35 AM
Write the most important information on note cards and carry them around with you. Note cards are easy to carry around.

Good point. "Remembering" has a lot to do with how you take notes. Are your notes very concise, like practically small bullet items and not many bullet items per page of reading?

If not, learn to notetake that way and read the bullet items again immediately once you finish taking the notes, outloud if need be.

You can also go back and read concise notes again very quickly.