View Full Version : ADHD Medications & Supplements Interactions

Rockafella83
01-04-16, 10:09 PM
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone who try to take supplements would like to share their experience about supplements that can affect negatively medications effectivness ?

I tend to think that an integrative perspective could be a good idea to help reliefing ADHD symptoms or simply addressing a specific deficiency. But by taking different supplements, it could indirectly affect stimulants medications effectivness and then wondering why attention is still poor even on medications. I think it could be a great time saving to put into a thread instead of searching the whole forum for those who like to include supplements into their diets about possible side effects on stimulants medications.

Feel free to share your experience !

dvdnvwls
01-04-16, 11:06 PM
First things first: Most supplements are a waste of money and time. In general, the more expensive they are and the better their marketing is, the more useless they are. Don't get caught wasting your time in Supplement-Land when you could be doing something worthwhile.

OK, now that that's over... :) In my opinion, and from what I have seen in the reports of others, the main thing to avoid taking with your stimulant is anything that is also a stimulant. The side effects can often multiply instead of adding, or at least become very unpleasant.

This includes such well-known things as caffeine, but also any more interesting or exotic supplements with a stimulant effect.

Positives: Omega-3 fish oil is known to be a significant help, but only for some people. It is safe and worth trying. The vegetarian substitutes for fish oil are generally found not to work, but of course there would be no harm in trying.

sarahsweets
01-05-16, 03:50 AM
I agree with dvd. Unless you have a specific medical issue where you need supplements, using them overall (in some cases) can be a waste of time. I have absorption issues from a surgery and I have to take a list of supplements and none of them save the fish oil, have ever done anything to help with my adhd.
Once thing that I have heard some people share is that vitamin c can get in the way of how stimulants are absorbed, not sure if this is true.
Another thing that I notice is when I take a PPI (protein pump inhibitor-like prevacid) its best if I take that one a night.

Rockafella83
01-05-16, 10:14 AM
Thanks for sharing your opinions on supplements. I do agree that it could be a waste of time and money if you just want to boost effectivness of medications or try to threat symptoms of ADHD with "special herbs" that are supposed to be magic. It sound pretty gimmic from the start if your condition is modderate to severe.

But I also think that when your health need it to address specific issue that could be validated, preferably with tests with a Doc, that supplements could be integrate to your diets.

From my experience, I've had problem with digestive enzymes (too acid), magnesium, vitamin c.

Unmanagable
01-05-16, 11:02 AM
I use them regularly to address nutritional deficits and overall wellness issues. I also painfully learned that healing your digestive system first is critical in allowing proper absorption of anything we ingest.

I take B complex, D3, zinc, and magnesium. The source of your supplements is critical. I only purchase from Thorne and Swanson, and make it a point to choose vegan options whenever possible.

It took me a few years to get it right for my personal needs, but I'm so damn glad I didn't dismiss their potential effectiveness, and even more glad I took the time to learn how my body works in order to be sure I was getting the most out of everything I choose to ingest. Time well spent. Been blindly and painfully following the "professionals" for too long.

Pilgrim
01-05-16, 05:02 PM
Good multivitamin, zinc, magnesium, iodine , and omega 3 and 6.

Or a good diet. And water

Greyhound1
01-05-16, 05:16 PM
Once, I tried taking 2 Rolaid antacids 30 mins. before my morning Adderall. I read it was supposed to potentiate the medication.

I got so sick to my stomach about 15 minutes later and threw my guts up. I felt horrible for the rest of the day. Never again!

Rockafella83
01-09-16, 01:06 PM
I found a lot of interesting informations concerning ADHD including supplements infos (that include interactions in a few articles). Really interesting..

http://adhd-treatment-options.blogspot.ca/

Zenod_ADHDi
01-24-16, 05:15 PM
Use examine.com

Unbiased scientific research about supplements.