View Full Version : 23andMe

Uberend
01-07-16, 12:32 PM
Hi guy,

Was diagnosed with AdHD in college (23) and spent a lot of time of this site looking for options, feeling pretty hopeless about a career.

I fit all the characteristics of SCT, but medications didn't work...

Recently I set off a genetic kit to 23andMe (google venture supported company) and found I had a genetic mutation that affects methylation - it is almost certainly the cause of my ADHD...

Only started researching it now, but it seems it can be managed...

Would recommend people trying it out, hopefully it will work out for me

Scott

Fuzzy12
01-07-16, 01:39 PM
I've considered trying out a kit from 23andme (and then forgot again). I thought the exact genes responsible for adhd haven't been identified yet so you can't test for them either.

I'm not up to date with the latest research though. It would be interesting to hear more about this.

Donny997
01-07-16, 04:53 PM
I did that test. I think I had problems with methylation too. I know for sure I had the warrior gene, meaning low dopamine associated with lower thinking abilities and a higher need for stimulation (risk taking, etc.). This is in comparison to the moderate type and high dopamine type, which makes for a strong intellect but greater anxiety/ fear.

I wonder if that could be a marker.

Lunacie
01-07-16, 05:11 PM
Hi guy,

Was diagnosed with AdHD in college (23) and spent a lot of time of this site looking for options, feeling pretty hopeless about a career.

I fit all the characteristics of SCT, but medications didn't work...

Recently I set off a genetic kit to 23andMe (google venture supported company) and found I had a genetic mutation that affects methylation - it is almost certainly the cause of my ADHD...

Only started researching it now, but it seems it can be managed...

Would recommend people trying it out, hopefully it will work out for me

Scott

What sort of management tools are recommended for methylation mutation?

Polymorphed
01-07-16, 05:18 PM
23andme is an excellent service (especially cost-wise), although it is worth noting that compared to a full genome, it barely touches upon 1%. That being said, the specific DNA/RNA they do scan has the potential to be very revealing. There are more thorough tests (yet again, still nothing like a full genome, which could take 10 years and millions), but they cost over 10 times as much.

The 23andme data, with appropriate interpretation, can help people like us identify potential mutations affecting specific nuerotransmitters and stages within the methylation cycle, like the MTHFR gene defect, which would allow you to learn that you can't absorb regular folate (B9) and need to supplement with Active Folate (5-methyltetrahydrofolate [5-MTHF]).

It goes well beyond that though. If you have some knowledge of genomics, you can really get down into the nitty gritty and identify all kinds of issues that can then be addressed either dietarily or with medical or supplemental aides. There are also a number of services available that interpret and report what they find from your 23andme data, along with recommendations on what to do.

It is possible from 23andme data and a symtpom check-list alone, to get a very good understanding of what is going on at the immune system level and work from the ground up in developing a health plan.

Polymorphed
01-07-16, 05:26 PM
What sort of management tools are recommended for methylation mutation?

https://ihateticks.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/yasko-methylation.jpg

http://www.myquinstory.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Methylation1.jpg

Difficult question to answer without knowing where the problem is. From my previous post regarding Folate, you can see where the folate cycle fits and how being unable to metabolise active folate could lead to a broken cog in the works, but trouble can arise in any of the stages, really. COMT is another common trouble defect area, as is B12 and SAMe. Ultimately though, even just one partially expressed defect, like MTHFR can lead to insufficiences throughout the whole cycle, as well as factors outside the cycle contributing to methylation issues.

Lunacie
01-07-16, 05:38 PM
Difficult question to answer without knowing where the problem is. From my previous post regarding Folate, you can see where the folate cycle fits and how being unable to metabolise active folate could lead to a broken cog in the works, but trouble can arise in any of the stages, really. COMT is another common trouble defect area, as is B12 and SAMe. Ultimately though, even just one partially expressed defect, like MTHFR can lead to insufficiences throughout the whole cycle, as well as factors outside the cycle contributing to methylation issues.

Are you saying that you paid for this information but don't know what to do with it now?

Polymorphed
01-07-16, 06:07 PM
Are you saying that you paid for this information but don't know what to do with it now?

Myself, I have not had any genetic testing done. I want to, but I'm in a financial pickle at the moment and want to get all 4 of us in my family done at the same time.

I have helped others interpret their data and am working on a couple of projects with other more clever people who are developing online interpreting services. After completing Biomedicine, I'm thinking about doing a masters or PhD in nutritional genomics (aka nutrigenetics), so I can devote my academic career to it. Perhaps within the next 10-20 years, genome testing and integrated personalised health management might become a public health reality.

The biggest social issue is the potential unethical use of genetic data if it gets into the wrong hands ... and while public awareness of and access to genetic data is so new, a lack of understanding may perpetuate some social resistance for a while. Eventually, though, I see it as the next big step in health management!

23andMe do provide a report and basic interpretation of the raw data that makes it understandable to the average Joe, but to really get the most out of it, professional interpretation and advice can really pay off.

Another controversy 23andme are faced with is the stance that people are not ready nor emotionally equipped to deal with factual data that alerts them to susceptibility to certain diseases etc, but no one is forcing these people to pursue the testing ... I'm fairly liberal, so my stance is strongly pro-information.

EDIT: it is worth adding that 23andme use the genetic data for humanitarian purposes (if you opt-in); the larger the data-set and the wider the cultural span it is collected from, the more targeted their research into the genetic commonalities underpinning prevalent health issues can be. They constantly publish their findings and are working closely towards finding cures for things like Parkinsons Disease.

Lunacie
01-07-16, 06:32 PM
Myself, I have not had any genetic testing done. I want to, but I'm in a financial pickle at the moment and want to get all 4 of us in my family done at the same time.

I got confused here, you responded to my post to the OP and I thought you were the OP.

Polymorphed
01-07-16, 10:07 PM
I got confused here, you responded to my post to the OP and I thought you were the OP.

No worries! It can be surprising how smoothly communication runs on this forum, given our (at least my) susceptibility to missing tiny details and the potential confusion it can cause (emotional inferrence and misunderstandings notwithstanding). :D

sarahsweets
01-14-16, 05:59 AM
Something about these home kits feel off. It just seems too easy to send a test off and get a scientifically supported result. It seems like gene testing should be left to a doctor. Once you get your result then what? I doubt if a doctor wants a patient to walk in with these sorts of results expecting the doctor to base treatment off of them.

BellaVita
01-14-16, 06:57 AM
I always find these commercials hilarious and pathetic.

They're so dramatic.

One in particular is talking about something like:
"I struggled all of my life. I would feel sick to my stomach and weak. I had no clue there was something so important wrong with me. For years I suffered.

Then I found out I had lactose intolerance.

I can live a happier and brighter life now, I hadn't known all along that this was the cause of my symptoms.

Thanks to 23 and me."

It was so ridiculous. Seriously? It took you years to figure out you were lactose intolerant? And what's with the dramatic tone of the commercial and making it all dark and putting music as if someone had died?

For LACTOSE INTOLERANCE?

Really.

It makes me cringe every time I see it.

Uberend
01-21-16, 12:05 PM
I am the OP

I didn't mean for post to be as dramatic as it was. I actually agree with what Bellavita said above.

I meant that I now have a direction I can now take to improve my symptoms. Before I had tried all medications and they came with bad side effects.

I doubt i'll improve everything with a folate supplement, but at least there's a prospect of improving my situation and that beats knowing that your are clinically incapable of handling responsibility in the workplace.

Uberend
01-21-16, 12:06 PM
If anyone else wants to try a different route, they should be open to 23andMe. It won't cure everything (I suspect), but it would definitely help if you have a MFTHR mutation like mine

BellaVita
01-21-16, 05:01 PM
I am the OP

I didn't mean for post to be as dramatic as it was. I actually agree with what Bellavita said above.

I meant that I now have a direction I can now take to improve my symptoms. Before I had tried all medications and they came with bad side effects.

I doubt i'll improve everything with a folate supplement, but at least there's a prospect of improving my situation and that beats knowing that your are clinically incapable of handling responsibility in the workplace.

Hey, I hope you know I wasn't saying your post was dramatic, I meant the commercials I sometimes see for 23andme are dramatic. I think your post was fine and I can see that you have been having difficulties, and I'm sorry for that.

I hope the situation gets better for you.

br3akingchains
08-18-16, 03:12 PM
I always find these commercials hilarious and pathetic.

They're so dramatic.

One in particular is talking about something like:
"I struggled all of my life. I would feel sick to my stomach and weak. I had no clue there was something so important wrong with me. For years I suffered.

Then I found out I had lactose intolerance.

I can live a happier and brighter life now, I hadn't known all along that this was the cause of my symptoms.

Thanks to 23 and me."

It was so ridiculous. Seriously? It took you years to figure out you were lactose intolerant? And what's with the dramatic tone of the commercial and making it all dark and putting music as if someone had died?

For LACTOSE INTOLERANCE?

Really.

It makes me cringe every time I see it.

This really put a smile on my face, only because that was exactly my situation :giggle: . As a newborn I became very sick ( my mom thinks it was severe dehydration) because of lactose intolerance. My mother gave me soy milk ( or something else) until I could eat solid foods. She thought the problem was only for newborns. I've had dairy my entire life, up until 6 months ago and never had pain...just gas, extreme urges to go #2 . no diarrhea, only when I was a child.
I've many memories of trying to make it home and never getting there in time.

I believe the absence of pain or any other severe symptom, plus ADHD, made it hard for me to make the connection...I think it's a coincidence I made the connection while on meds.:lol: