View Full Version : What are YOUR biggest handicaps/flaws when it comes to being in the workplace?

Lloyd_
01-07-16, 06:51 PM
Mine is understanding verbal instructions, I swear this will be the death of me and something no drug or amount of therapy can cure. :(

If that wasn't the one thing holding me back then I'd be at the top of my game but I'm not and sucks to be me. :lol:

What are YOUR biggest handicaps/flaws when it comes to being on the job and do you feel hopefully a bit more optimistic in overcoming these flaws than I do?

acdc01
01-07-16, 08:23 PM
Mine is understanding verbal instructions, I swear this will be the death of me and something no drug or amount of therapy can cure. :(

If that wasn't the one thing holding me back then I'd be at the top of my game but I'm not and sucks to be me. :lol:

What are YOUR biggest handicaps/flaws when it comes to being on the job and do you feel hopefully a bit more optimistic in overcoming these flaws than I do?

Yes that's what screwed me over too - listening. It's better now that I've been diagnosed and take precautions - but the damage was done.

DJ Bill
01-07-16, 08:38 PM
Listening and not retaining what I heard....and careless mistakes. There are workarounds for both. (Tape recorders, notepads, repetition, having a proofreader for written stuff, etc.)

My boss is also affected by ADHD like symptoms at times, so he tries to understand and work with me. (That's unusual but I like it!)

Lloyd_
01-07-16, 09:53 PM
Yes that's what screwed me over too - listening. It's better now that I've been diagnosed and take precautions - but the damage was done.

The damage at your current employer? Or just all around knowing as in my case I'll never be able to make up for the lost time and years of ruin for being a mental defect. :(

Lloyd_
01-07-16, 09:54 PM
Listening and not retaining what I heard....and careless mistakes. There are workarounds for both. (Tape recorders, notepads, repetition, having a proofreader for written stuff, etc.)

My boss is also affected by ADHD like symptoms at times, so he tries to understand and work with me. (That's unusual but I like it!)

I work in the trades so I could only imagine how much crap everyone would give me if I carried around a digital tape recorder! :lol:

acdc01
01-07-16, 11:50 PM
The damage at your current employer? Or just all around knowing as in my case I'll never be able to make up for the lost time and years of ruin for being a mental defect. :(

I guess I mean career growthwise. I'm an engineer and I've always had stable employment so on paper I look like I've done well. But an incident happened a long time ago which hurt my reputation with a client who unfortunately has a lot of influence in my highly specialized branch of engineering. Long story short, it's limited my career growth opportunities.

I could get another job where sales isn't as important for growth but unfortunately another problem I have is that I can't motivate myself to apply for jobs. My weaknesses when it comes to listening have been overcome enough that it won't cause me to make errors or create poor results (it was really only a 1 time incident to begin with which unfortunately had huge repercussions). But my inability to motivate myself to look for jobs continues on so maybe I should call this my biggest weakness instead.

Do you mean stock trades?

anonymouslyadd
01-08-16, 12:16 AM
Poor planning skills.

Planning is only a portion of the job so it doesn't crush me.

KarmanMonkey
01-08-16, 10:32 AM
To quote the cartoon 6Teen: "The list is long and distinguished"

I'm thinking the biggest one for me is time management. I have a lot of conflicting priorities in my job and trying to balance all of them as well as my self care can be quite challenging.

Other challenges include a lousy memory, the ability to lose track of time, and a tendency to say yes to things before figuring out if I have the time to follow through.

There are many others, but those are the ones that have the biggest impact on my current job.

sarahsweets
01-08-16, 01:37 PM
The fact that there is no workplace because I cant keep a job. I am on disability now.

stef
01-08-16, 01:48 PM
Misunderstanding or completely zapping verbal instructions; but this doesnt bother me too much because I'm super aware of it so I always write things down.

Even worse: MISREADING written instructions and information in emails. I have to organize lots of meetings for example and I mix up the dates & availabilities. OrI'll print out or email the wrong document, etc etc.

SB1985
01-08-16, 01:57 PM
Quite a few things:
1) Same as many of you, I have a hell of a time following verbal conversations/instructions. I need things written down, or at least visually presented in one way or another in order to get it.

2) Keeping organized. I simply do not have the patience to keep proper planners/to-do-lists/etc. so a lot of times, tasks that I had every intention of completing slip through the cracks. Not usually big ones, but enough to be noticed. Answering emails is a huge one here.

3) Distractions. I can lose hours in a day socializing or browsing the web

4) Appearing disinterested. This is more of a "perception" problem than anything I do or don't do. But I've been accused many times of being disengaged or appearing as if I don't care, even if I do. I don't know if it's body language, or the fact that I don't like to panic people with urgency so I don't outwardly display it, I don't know. But it's an issue.

5) Biting off more than I can chew. I love showing how productive I can be, and often don't know my limits so I start over-promising and under-delivering.

Luckily my new job is perfect for me. I have great, supportive co-workers who recognize my value and appreciate my contributions. The actual work I'm doing is exactly what I am good at, and I can handle the workload. I'm in an industry I'm passionate about so I have rarely been accused of appearing disengaged. Getting fired from my last job (the thread is in here somewhere) was the worst experience of my life, but perhaps a blessing in disguise because I love where I am now

Lloyd_
01-08-16, 09:02 PM
Misunderstanding or completely zapping verbal instructions; but this doesnt bother me too much because I'm super aware of it so I always write things down.

Even worse: MISREADING written instructions and information in emails. I have to organize lots of meetings for example and I mix up the dates & availabilities. OrI'll print out or email the wrong document, etc etc.

I'm OK I guess with reading compared to listening but of course I work with people who are illiterate which is about everyone within the trades. :lol:

Lloyd_
01-08-16, 09:06 PM
I guess I mean career growthwise. I'm an engineer and I've always had stable employment so on paper I look like I've done well. But an incident happened a long time ago which hurt my reputation with a client who unfortunately has a lot of influence in my highly specialized branch of engineering. Long story short, it's limited my career growth opportunities.

I could get another job where sales isn't as important for growth but unfortunately another problem I have is that I can't motivate myself to apply for jobs. My weaknesses when it comes to listening have been overcome enough that it won't cause me to make errors or create poor results (it was really only a 1 time incident to begin with which unfortunately had huge repercussions). But my inability to motivate myself to look for jobs continues on so maybe I should call this my biggest weakness instead.

Do you mean stock trades?

Engineering career is something I want to get into because I'm okay with math and use more of the analytical/abstract part of my brain compared to the more logical/street smart/ common sense part of my brain. :D

I totally HATE sales, being an introvert obviously I'm not good at it.

Lloyd_
01-08-16, 09:08 PM
The fact that there is no workplace because I cant keep a job. I am on disability now.

How many careers were you in while you worked if you don't mind me asking?

sarahsweets
01-09-16, 08:21 AM
How many careers were you in while you worked if you don't mind me asking?

Lets see...
Pre-degree/ high school:
2 fast food joints, ice cream place, two waitress jobs
daycare and summer camp
deli(2 stores)
During college:
retail sales (2 stores)
daycare
deli
Post degree:
daycare
law office
answering service
dispatcher
claims adjuster
telemarketing
salon helper
Also went through 10 months of beauty school and failed out.
All the jobs I either was fired from, quit because I was about to be fired,dissappeared because of fear, job-jumped in the same field of work (one deli to another or different daycares)
Last job was claims adjuster for a huge insurance company. Was a great job and awesome company. The started me part time and promoted me to full time.
There are only so many times you can be late, have sick kids, panic attacks or bipolar rapid cycling, forget to enter information or turn your phone back on from break before they get sick of you.
I went back to them and said that I wanted to go back to part time because I couldnt handle full time, but they didnt need me there. I tried to get them to work with me but I had to resign. Thats when I started the long process for disability.
I have stayed home with my kids who are all adhd since my youngest was born (shes 12). I barely handle the chaos of motherhood, or at least the way all the other soccer moms do.
The only saving grace is I have a great relationship with my kids and husband. We may not have a lot of money, or tons of activities, the best car and house or the most christmas presents under the tree. It hurts to say I cant afford something that they want. It also hurts when people ask me what I do all day long...
But it was the safest and wisest choice I could make.

Little Missy
01-09-16, 08:27 AM
Making up my own rules. But, most of the time they worked out very well.

Twiggy
01-09-16, 12:11 PM
I don't have a job now, but when I did:

I would work at 110% and overwork myself, but it made me feel inadequate when other co-workers would slack off.

I felt like I couldn't slack off (not even a little) or else I will get in trouble one way or another.

Rebelyell
01-09-16, 12:14 PM
Dottling, wandering,lack of motivation especially if I don't like what I'm doing,staying on the task at hand,following 2 many orders given to me altho I've gotten hugely improved w it.

Goofycook
01-09-16, 12:48 PM
My biggest handicap is saying exactly what I think. Once the words are out you cant take them back. although I do well on my job my impulsive mouth makes me look really immature. As much as I try I will never be able to completely curb my mouth. Before I accepted the fact there is such ting as adult add every time I spouted off I would get this horrible sick feeling that something was terribly wrong with me. After my dx and therapy I still spout off but I dont get so sick feeling. no longer feeling like I'm going to pass out I just get a small twinge of 'oh no",

as far as my other handicaps years of untreated add has made me develop strategies to help me remember things and get things done. I have had add unfriendly jobs and on those all the add traits would show no matter how many different strategeis. the reasoning behind that is that I could feel my peers disapproval and thus I became a nervous wreck. My add symptoms would come out 10 fold making me totally mess up on things I can do my sleep. that is why I firmly believe you need an add friendly job to be your best.

What add friendly means to me is being able to use your passion and working with people who aren't rigid or judgmental. for me the joy of doing what I love gives me a boost that is equal to adderal. Working with easy going people helps my stress level so I don't fall back and add symptoms aren't exacerbated.

goofycook(judy)

Rebelyell
01-09-16, 12:51 PM
Dealing with a bunch of mental midgets who act like kindergartner and having to bite my tongue hard

Lloyd_
01-09-16, 01:32 PM
Lets see...
Pre-degree/ high school:
2 fast food joints, ice cream place, two waitress jobs
daycare and summer camp
deli(2 stores)
During college:
retail sales (2 stores)
daycare
deli
Post degree:
daycare
law office
answering service
dispatcher
claims adjuster
telemarketing
salon helper
Also went through 10 months of beauty school and failed out.
All the jobs I either was fired from, quit because I was about to be fired,dissappeared because of fear, job-jumped in the same field of work (one deli to another or different daycares)
Last job was claims adjuster for a huge insurance company. Was a great job and awesome company. The started me part time and promoted me to full time.
There are only so many times you can be late, have sick kids, panic attacks or bipolar rapid cycling, forget to enter information or turn your phone back on from break before they get sick of you.
I went back to them and said that I wanted to go back to part time because I couldnt handle full time, but they didnt need me there. I tried to get them to work with me but I had to resign. Thats when I started the long process for disability.
I have stayed home with my kids who are all adhd since my youngest was born (shes 12). I barely handle the chaos of motherhood, or at least the way all the other soccer moms do.
The only saving grace is I have a great relationship with my kids and husband. We may not have a lot of money, or tons of activities, the best car and house or the most christmas presents under the tree. It hurts to say I cant afford something that they want. It also hurts when people ask me what I do all day long...
But it was the safest and wisest choice I could make.

Ever thought about working around animals like at a shelter or zoo, etc? People suck and you'd probably do better working with animals than people, I know I would! :lol:

Swordson
01-10-16, 09:01 AM
My greatest weakness is the ability to set priorities - when there isn't a clear, screaming in-your-face deadline, all of a sudden everything floats and nothing seems even remotely interesting. I find that I need something new and exciting that has never been done before in my field to motivate me - if it seems to be routine, I get bored, and nothing happens (until the last minute - then I scramble to get it done, and it usually does, but the physical and mental toll is so much greater.)

Rebelyell
01-11-16, 02:27 AM
I think at this point it's dealing with being passed over for promotions.etc cause i.don't suck up,physical job is starting to catch up to me,hands are going numb and i.see rheumatologist in a few weeks to.follow up on nerve study i.did. I have 25 more years give or take a few and I pray and wonder if my bodies gonna make it another 10.

midnightstar
01-11-16, 06:43 PM
My memory about what I've already done (which is one reason why I do everything in a set order and get anxious if I have to change the order of work) :o

Bethylphenidate
01-11-16, 07:59 PM
1. I hate workplace politics. They say those of us with ADHD have trouble with social nuances; I guess that's where this comes into play for me. At some jobs, I got along with co-workers well (almost too well), but typically I'm more "professional" than "friendly" when I start a new job. Some people don't like that, lol.

2. I "slip through the cracks" in that sometimes I'll excel in certain manners, but then 3 months later I'm getting reamed for saying "I didn't know" about something that "everyone knows," but apparently I never learned properly (whether it be because I couldn't focus or I simply forgot).

3. Extreme difficulty with punctuality. I do make it to work on time, at every job, but... I'm not going to lie, it's really hard for me. :p

ToneTone
01-11-16, 09:50 PM
I'm a teacher and sometimes my brain simply won't turn on when I need it to do so to prepare for class. So I end up staying up late to get my preparation done ... which leaves me exhausted ... which makes it harder to concentrate .....

Thankfully I am in a job where I can choose what materials I teach with ... so I try to always teach stuff that really interests me ...

Tone

Corina86
01-12-16, 04:36 PM
Procrastinating
Being irritable and lashing out- especially when interrupted
Being unsociable
Sensory issue- sensitive to noise and cold
Hating my job because it gives me no satisfaction

DJ Bill
01-12-16, 07:17 PM
Major forgetfulness, of part numbers, prices, or directions given to me verbally. I have to write down everything as it seems to fall out of my brain when I climb the steps to my work area. Sometimes just getting out of my chair leaves my thoughts on the ground. Keeping on task can be an adventure.

I list things on Ebay for a living right now and it is a good fit for me, at my own pace. If rushed.....not so much. I must be doing OK , as we seem to sell everything I list fairly quickly and we haven't had any bad feedback in quite a while...

This morning my boss says to me, Bill, do you remember....at which point I burst out laughing....and so did he. Gotta love an understanding boss. Unfortunately I barely make over the poverty level.

And then there's my forgetfulness.....I already posted in this thread!!

Pixelatedmind
01-14-16, 09:07 PM
Loud voice and joking around, disruptive, easily distracted, moving a lot, visiting the fun room too often, procrastination and forgetfulness.

aeon
01-15-16, 01:07 AM
Being thorough and precise at the expense of speed when there should be a balance, or when speed should have primacy. (Told this today by my manager.)

Distraction from task by other tasks with competing urgency.

Paperwork is painful. I do it, but it takes longer to organize.

Too much information and time-sensitive tasks given in too short a time window can frazzle me, and then I’m only half-effective until I get some time/space to chill.

Powderbucket
01-15-16, 08:20 AM
I can't sit for 8 hours. Kills me. And I get bored incredibly quickly.

Unmanagable
01-15-16, 09:44 AM
People, repetition, power plays, political BS, shady manipulation, and people. Otherwise, I remember it all rather fondly. lol

Andi
01-15-16, 03:03 PM
Goodness, so many things.

1 - Noise: Normally, if by chance I'm not on the phone, I have to put my headphones on and blare music so I can concentrate.

2 - Visual: I have to wall myself off from seeing too much movement. This is an impending doom issue as they're moving to a spirit or active environment with no walls...oy

3 - Expression: For some reason I've lost my poker face and there are times where what I'm thinking shows. Really not helpful in a face to face exchange.

4 - Conversations: When I'm in a face to face chat I often don't "hear" everything the person has to say because I'm too focused on them tapping their pen or something else distracting. I don't know why I do way better on the phone, unless there's too much of an accent. I think phone calls can make accents worse.

I also have to take my computer with me so I can reference and show people what I'm talking about. Work is really moving away from professional devices.

5 - Politics: I agree, I'm really not the type that plays in the political world. I do my job to the best of my ability and I'm known for my skills...that's all that really should be considered in the grand scheme of things.

6 - Anxiety: Last year I learned from Doc that it's not my Bipolar that requires an accommodation, it's my Anxiety that is impacting my health. Coming into the office drains me because I have to be on my best behavior. Appearing normal is exhausting and I often don't feel like I succeed doing it. Thankfully I have the ability to have a flexible work arrangement, working from home, so I'm not nearly as drained by the end of the week.

Fuzzy12
01-15-16, 03:10 PM
Definitely procrastination, closely followed by making a million little errors that sometimes I don't notice for years...:(

Fuzzy12
01-15-16, 03:43 PM
And not wanting to chat with most people...

Pilgrim
01-16-16, 06:43 AM
Now that I'm on medication - mindfulness, if that degrades I start to get lost and then my performance is poor.

This is a battle but I'm getting there.

Chicky75
02-16-16, 12:40 AM
Noise or lack of noise around me. I work in a cube in a shared office with others who are on the same team. If they're talking, it's usually something that I know about so I can't shut the conversation out like I would at a cafe. But when no one is talking, it's too quiet for me to concentrate. I've been wearing headphones, but I think I'm getting a reputation of being anti-social.

Having a really hard time getting myself to do the parts of my job that I don't enjoy. And I don't know why I don't enjoy them - they're not hard, just kind of tedious, like writing case notes. Although I think that also annoys me right now because the system is so inefficient and dumb.

That's another one - not being able to deal with things that are done inefficiently or only done in a particular way just because that's the way it's always been done, even though there is technology that could make it easier. And in my current place, feeling like some of my coworkers won't ask me for help with computer stuff, even though they'll ask many others, because I'm a woman.

And politics. I HATE politics.

Roundmouth
02-16-16, 05:27 AM
I do honestly believe that I have many qualities that should be useful in work situations. However, hiding and compensating for the deficits and trying to act normal takes so much energy. So in reality I'm trying to compete under conditions dictated by normal people and I never really manage to keep up.

My practical problems are: Executive functioning, poor face recognition, lazyness, losing focus, understanding verbal instructions, understanding written instructions, remembering where to find certain things, telephone phobia.... I may have forgotten one or a few things. Besides I don't really blend with others socially, never belong to a group, even if I'm socially competent on a lower level and on a higher level, I never manage to handle simple informal social situations.

WheresMyMind
02-16-16, 02:08 PM

Anybody who's been to management school knows that the worst way to give instructions is verbal.

For years, I thought I was worse at this than most, because I hated how much I forgot. The boss told me "actually, you remember this better than most. I should send all my employees to memory school." I spouted off and said "Or just write it all down and fix the problem in five minutes." Boss gave me a nasty look...then distributed written instructions and never again did them verbally.

You probably aren't any worse at this than anybody else, but we ADHDers tend to be hard on ourselves.

WMM

ginniebean
02-16-16, 03:48 PM
Paperwork kills me!

Jenn1202
02-18-16, 01:11 AM
1. Attention and memory problems (significantly improves when meds are working)

2. Disorganized work environment - no matter how hard I try I can't keep it organized. I often can't find a file or code that I wrote when I really need it (significantly improves when meds are working)

3. Failing to follow instructions. I often misunderstand the instructions or fail to remember them, especially when they're long/complicated or if I really don't feel like following them.

4. Constant daydreaming to the point where I'm staring at the ceiling most of the day instead of working.

5. I'm internally distracted to some degree most of the time. I have random thoughts popping in my head every other second and I have to work hard to try to remember what I was doing before the thought popped in my head (significantly improves when meds are working)

6. Forgetting meetings

7. Can't prioritize

8. Can't estimate how long each task will take to complete (significantly improves when meds are working)

9. Can't plan

10. Trouble showing up on time

11. Trouble sitting down and actually working (significantly improves when meds are working). I'll do anything other than work (any potential distraction will do).

12. I tend to get bored with my job/field relatively quickly and want to try something totally different. Then I change jobs/carrees and get bored again...
Forgetting what I was working on while working on it (significantly improves when meds are working)

13. Putting off tasks that I don't feel like doing (e.g. difficult or boring tasks) and doing unnecessary tasks that I find more interesting or easier instead. Sometimes I get yelled at for this.

14. Inability to pay attention during long meetings (anything past 10-15 minutes). At first I'll zone in and out and then I'll lose track of what's going on.

15. Complicated attention-heavy tasks tend to give me a headache (significantly improves when meds are working).

16. I can hardly read anything longer than a short paragraph. I tend to skip around and my comprehension level is around 0% unless I read each line at least 5-10 times and even then I tend to miss important information. (significantly improves when meds are working)

Most of these issues significantly improve when I'm on meds (and when they actually work..), but some don't.

finallyfound10
03-03-16, 04:03 PM
1. Time-management

2. Prioritizing (which may cause time management issues since I spend so long "figuring it out."

3. Poor self-esteem (which leads to poor prioritizing since I don't trust myself, my knowledge and instincts so I over think and re-do things physically and in my head.)

4. Worry far too much about what others think (I get things ready for the next shift so people won't think poorly or worse of me, when I really should work getting things done on mine)

Truth be told, I'm a mess right now!

TurtleBrain
03-03-16, 04:07 PM
I'm reading assistant at an elementary school and I have the maturity level of a 10 year old, but I'm a good snitch when I have to be... yeah, I'm a mess. lol

Radio Hiker
04-08-16, 02:47 PM
I don't do well with verbal instructions. I am much better with either written instructions or having somebody coach me as I actually do the work (where that is possible).

I don't do small talk well. I prefer to dig into the meat and potatoes of the situation (i.e. let's get to the point so I can be of assistance in addressing the concern).

In past jobs, I have been perceived as unfriendly by some people, but this has usually been because they wanted to stop and "chat" (i.e. small talk) while I am right in the middle of focusing on a task.

Little Missy
04-08-16, 03:10 PM
hhahahahahaha, I just read over the back pages. If I was a doctor I'd be wondering,"Why don't the meds work?"