View Full Version : App or method for tracking treatment?

eastons3541
01-11-16, 12:29 AM
Hi All, I'm brand new here and our son was diagnosed with ADHD several years ago. He was in a self contained gifted class last year doing above grade work but we moved him back to a regular class this year but with advanced math. During the first quarter he dropped out of the advanced math into grade level math and now he's struggling even with that. We're worried that he might fail 5th grade now despite his intelligence. He's now 10 and in 5th grade public school with both parents working and despite a slew of doctors and medications, we get success that then backslides to something less than success or side effects that are unbearable. My question is this: Is there an app or best method for tracking your child's progress while on medication so that you can figure out what's working, what's not and what should be tweaked? We are so wrapped up in the day to day of things that when things turn to crap, we tend to make a drastic change. Couple that with all the different medications and combinations and other factors and it's confusing as can be. Thanks so much for any feedback.

dvdnvwls
01-11-16, 02:03 AM
Welcome to the forum!

What kinds of "drastic changes" have you made in the past?

sarahsweets
01-11-16, 05:33 AM
What worked for me was a simple notebook.

ToneTone
01-11-16, 10:22 PM
Well, it seems like you have tracked your son's decline quite precisely right here .... So you want a day-to-day tracking ... Maybe a weekly call to a teacher ... or a weekly email to a teacher asking how your son did the previous week could be a good tracking method ...

Also, a good psychiatrist is a good tracking "device." The best ones can be expensive, but they will ask really good questions ... that help the patient/parents report on progress or decline or stasis.

I don't know how frequent your appointments are with the doctor ... but one, I would recommend getting to a child psychiatrist who has experience with ADHD ... and two, I would say you need monthly appointments until you notice some real improvement ... and from there you can go to every other month or every three months ...

Good luck.

Tone

Twiggy
01-12-16, 07:48 AM
Is there a chance that he is bullied, stressed out, or depressed?

Sometimes kids hide their emotions and need more positive encouragement.

Does he get enough outdoor exercise?

Try going on walks with him and let him open up and tell you what is going on in his life.

eastons3541
01-12-16, 01:55 PM
thanks all. I truly do appreciate everyone's response. Obviously a lot of people care about the struggles we all face as parents, family members or actually folks with ADHD. It's so exhausting to recount everything about my son's history and I'm sure I'll do so eventually. I was just looking for a method to track things. I've started an excel spreadsheet but like with some apps, it's not easy to do it from multiple platforms so this morning I had to ask my wife "what did he eat for dinner last night? when did he go to bed? what was the report from school today (because I wasn't home). It would be awesome if when you see your child eating well you could simply go into an app, record it and it registers or if he/she cheerfully does his homework, you can mark it.. Or if he/she takes a new multivitamin and has something good happen that day you can quickly record it. That's all I'm asking. Any more feedback is awesome!

dvdnvwls
01-12-16, 05:18 PM
The paper notebook is superior because often things happen that don't have a pre-determined slot to fit into. Abandon the electronics.

TygerSan
01-12-16, 07:35 PM
The paper notebook is superior because often things happen that don't have a pre-determined slot to fit into. Abandon the electronics.
I tend to share your ambivalence for categorization. However, one thing an app does that paper doesn't do is aggregate data and present it in a clean, summarized form. So it's easy to, say, see that the kid tanks moodwise every time he eats lunch late, or eats food X, or that his ability to concentrate tanks every Wednesday afternoon post activity Y.

There are mood trackers for people with mood disorders. I don't know how well they would work for a kiddo in school, though.

If you're looking for something like Excel that can be used from multiple platforms, as long as things aren't too complicated, you should be able to do most of what you want through Google Docs (and might even be able to put together a survey type thing for others to complete as well; Google forms does aggregate data, though not necessarily in the best format). I can access Google Sheets from my phone without much issue, for example.