View Full Version : Texas School Triples Recess Time Positive Results

Lunacie
01-11-16, 02:34 PM
Most of us here know that taking recess away from our school kids was a bad idea.

This school gave recess back to the kids and the results were outstanding.

But am I the only who's shocked that it was school in Texas that was wise enough to do this?

Article: Want kids to listen more, fidget less? Try more recess... this school did. (http://www.printfriendly.com/print/?source=homepage&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.today.com%2Fparents%2Fwant-kids-listen-more-fidget-less-try-more-recess-school-t65536)

Luvmybully
01-11-16, 02:58 PM
Most of us here know that taking recess away from our school kids was a bad idea.

This school gave recess back to the kids and the results were outstanding.

But am I the only who's shocked that it was school in Texas that was wise enough to do this?

Article: Want kids to listen more, fidget less? Try more recess... this school did.

:giggle: My FIRST thought was, Texas?!?

And I still do not understand why schools refuse to do what has been proven to work best for kids!

Fuzzy12
01-11-16, 05:53 PM
I don't understand. Are there schools with no recess? No break time? At all? How is that possible? Do they just have continuous classes???? :eek:

My school was brilliant. Each period was 45min and after every two periods we had a break with a maximum of 6 periods a day.

Hathor
01-11-16, 06:28 PM

Just a little shocked it was Texas- but very shocked it was TRIPLE and not and extra 3 mins or something.

I hope word gets out to the rest of the world soon. [besides Finland who already on the ball]

Lunacie
01-11-16, 06:50 PM
I don't understand. Are there schools with no recess? No break time? At all? How is that possible? Do they just have continuous classes???? :eek:

My school was brilliant. Each period was 45min and after every two periods we had a break with a maximum of 6 periods a day.

I would have to ask my oldest granddaughter what it was like, if she remembers.

I think pre-k through 3rd grade get two recesses per day, am and pm.
3rd grade through 6th grade gets just one recess a day, after lunch.
After that, no recess, the only break is for lunch, which can be very stressful in a big school.

:eek: is right. So is :doh:

And if you have adhd and your recess is taken away because of behavior issues, then NO recess at all. Very common.

Twiggy
01-12-16, 07:38 AM
That's awesome!
Kids need fresh air and time to play. It makes the brain learn better.

Lunacie
01-12-16, 12:38 PM
That's awesome!
Kids need fresh air and time to play. It makes the brain learn better.

We all need those things. It makes us all do better to get fresh air and some kind of movement a few times each day.

DJ Bill
01-12-16, 12:47 PM
Nuthin wrong with Texas, y'all.:D:lol: 'cept maybe their athletic teams. We may sound stupid to some of ya, but we are smart as a fox.....

OK, well some of us. ;)

Lunacie
01-12-16, 12:54 PM
Nuthin wrong with Texas, y'all.:D:lol: 'cept maybe their athletic teams. We may sound stupid to some of ya, but we are smart as a fox.....

OK, well some of us. ;)

We're not allowed to talk politics on this forum ...
... or religion ... but I'm glad I don't live in Texas.
Kansas (or Brownbackistan) is bad enough. :(

Fuzzy12
01-12-16, 01:34 PM

After that, no recess, the only break is for lunch, which can be very stressful in a big school.

And if you have adhd and your recess is taken away because of behavior issues, then NO recess at all. Very common.

That sounds so unbelievable that I actually can't believe it. So do these kids just have lessons till lunch???? Not even short breaks? How is that possible?

Even at uni, we make sure to give our students short breaks every hour (even if they don't need it I sure do).

To take away recess as punishment just sounds cruel..apart from totally counter productive.

Lunacie
01-12-16, 01:54 PM
That sounds so unbelievable that I actually can't believe it. So do these kids just have lessons till lunch???? Not even short breaks? How is that possible?

Even at uni, we make sure to give our students short breaks every hour (even if they don't need it I sure do).

To take away recess as punishment just sounds cruel..apart from totally counter productive.

Adults get a couple of coffee breaks, it's mandated by the government.
Kids ... not so much.

http://kansashealth.org/newsletter/new_study_examines_recess_time_kansas_schools

The KAHPERD survey of 487 Kansas schools found 54 percent of Kansas middle schools do not have recess, and 63 percent of Kansas elementary students get a total of 0 to 20 minutes for the entire day. In addition, 30 percent of elementary students receive only one daily recess.

From what I'm reading on Google and Wiki, it's the same story in all the states.

Bethylphenidate
01-12-16, 05:19 PM
That's awesome! Now if only this caught on everywhere!

mildadhd
01-12-16, 09:59 PM
High Five Texas!

Lunacie
01-12-16, 10:12 PM
High Five Texas!

Unfortunately not every school in Texas is doing this, only one school.

Little Missy
01-12-16, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately not every school in Texas is doing this, only one school.

High Five the one school in Texas!

BellaVita
01-12-16, 11:36 PM

That sounds about right.

And if you got in trouble, then you had to spend detention during lunch and just eat alone at your desk

School sucked.

Lunacie
01-13-16, 12:44 AM
We still had recess when I was in middle school (back when it was called junior high).

I don't remember if my daughter had recess in middle school two decades later.

I know recess was gone by the time my granddaughter was in elementary school and she really needed it.

Nope, only primary school got recess.

We tried to get some outdoor break time in my youngest granddaughter's IEP, but that's not possible for one kid out of a whole class. :(

And in my opinion, they all need it, whether they have autism or adhd or nothing.

Little Missy
01-13-16, 08:52 AM
I hated recess. I disliked slides and monkey bars or whatever was out there. I disliked playing with other children. If it was blizzarding or really cold the teachers wouldn't let you back in. I usually stood in some corner of bricked wall with a book out of the wind.
I did like it if it was raining and we were able to watch these crazy movies and I'd love to be able to find the one about Planet Q but I've never been able to locate it. I can still clearly hear the voice of the man who narrated it.

Lunacie
01-13-16, 11:43 AM
I hated recess. I disliked slides and monkey bars or whatever was out there. I disliked playing with other children. If it was blizzarding or really cold the teachers wouldn't let you back in. I usually stood in some corner of bricked wall with a book out of the wind.
I did like it if it was raining and we were able to watch these crazy movies and I'd love to be able to find the one about Planet Q but I've never been able to locate it. I can still clearly hear the voice of the man who narrated it.

I wasn't good at playing with other kids and hated waiting for my turn, but good manners demanded it.

The only time I remember other kids actually playing with me was when we had our picnic in the park the last week of school.

The teachers would choose two leaders and the leaders would choose teams, one person at a time. I was one of the last chosen.

Then we'd play Red Rover or Crack the Whip, but I knew they were only playing with me because everyone had to play.

I didn't get invited to birthday parties either. I didn't know why. Now I do.