View Full Version : Attention Deficit Stomach

Powderbucket
01-15-16, 08:23 AM
Hi guys,

I've had problems with my colon for years. Actually, since I was born. I was in hospital for constipation when I was little and a few other problems have hit hard since then.

I was just "diagnosed" with IBS of the "constipated" kind. The doctor told me that mental problems are often linked to issues in the gut. I was hoping it could be an easy fix thing but she said I'm with it for life and have to live with it.... Like ADHD.....

Do you guys have similar issues? How do you handle it? Do you think it's all related?

Unmanagable
01-15-16, 09:34 AM
I was diagnosed most of my life with "nervous stomach" and IBS and was told there wasn't really much I could do about it, other than just deal with it the best I could and try over the counter aids to manage the symptoms. (which only serves to suppress the release of the waste our bodies are trying to remove, allowing it to go back into our blood stream) I suffered severely, even more so when stress of any sort was lurking. Paralyzed by needing to stay close to the potty.

Only recently have I found sustained relief, after making drastic diet changes and eliminating meat, eggs, dairy, and most grains (except lentils and chickpeas) starting in April of 2015, by having an ER scare with my gall bladder, then learning more about and eating a mucus lean and mucus less plant based diet. I thought they were f'n nuts when I first heard of it about two years ago, but severe pain and a fear of the surgical knife called me back to learn more about it and try it out.

So many symptoms that had been attributed to several different diagnoses, and that I'd been told I just had to learn to live with or manage with meds only, seem to have cleared themselves up and/or greatly improved through my new choices.

A drastic change of what I ingest and choose to use externally has made all the difference in the world for me. It is also the most difficult challenge I've faced, yet, but I've learned so much more about my own self-worth in my pursuits that I can say it's definitely been worth the struggle.

Powderbucket
01-18-16, 06:26 AM
Thank you for the reply. I agree that a diet change is probably coming, I just don't know where to start, and what to cut out first, but I'll try to cut out one thing at a time and see what happens.

dvdnvwls
01-18-16, 04:48 PM
It depends what you're eating now, of course. The things I'm about to say may be what you were already doing, or they may be totally irrelevant, or extremely difficult under the circumstances, or whatever. Take what you can use from what I say, and ignore the rest.

In my opinion, the first thing to cut out (it doesn't have to be complete, but cut down drastically) is any food that has been created in a factory. Basically, things in sealed packages with ingredient labels on them. The more factory work it has been through, the less you want it. (Of course, technically, something like rice is processed in a factory, but it hasn't been changed all that much - it's still rice. That box of cookies, on the other hand... :))

Completely (or as near as possible) cut out all sweet drinks of every kind, whether from a factory or made yourself. Even juice - eat the fruit instead. If you must have juice, then don't buy it; make it yourself.

When you want something baked or fried, go ahead, but make it yourself. Cut down severely on things that you can buy already baked or already fried.

Eat a lot of vegetables, different colours, preferably fresh or as close to it as possible. Any kinds you like, and in unlimited amounts.

BellaVita
01-18-16, 07:18 PM
It depends what you're eating now, of course. The things I'm about to say may be what you were already doing, or they may be totally irrelevant, or extremely difficult under the circumstances, or whatever. Take what you can use from what I say, and ignore the rest.

In my opinion, the first thing to cut out (it doesn't have to be complete, but cut down drastically) is any food that has been created in a factory. Basically, things in sealed packages with ingredient labels on them. The more factory work it has been through, the less you want it. (Of course, technically, something like rice is processed in a factory, but it hasn't been changed all that much - it's still rice. That box of cookies, on the other hand... :))

Completely (or as near as possible) cut out all sweet drinks of every kind, whether from a factory or made yourself. Even juice - eat the fruit instead. If you must have juice, then don't buy it; make it yourself.

When you want something baked or fried, go ahead, but make it yourself. Cut down severely on things that you can buy already baked or already fried.

Eat a lot of vegetables, different colours, preferably fresh or as close to it as possible. Any kinds you like, and in unlimited amounts.

This post just made my mouth water.

OhLookABunny
02-11-16, 02:08 PM
I have SED, i.e. Selective Eating Disorder, or as it's commonly known in everyday parlance, picky eating. The foods that are suggested to be cut out are most of what I can eat! :( Not that I don't try to make my diet healthier as best as I'm able, but it's a long slow process. I do know some definite IBS triggers which I avoid. My problem is usually constipation until a trigger trips and then it's the runs, bloating, painful cramping, and sometimes puking. To make things even more interesting, I share living quarters with a person who has food allergies and likes many vegetables that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. :doh: We manage but it's a challenge.

Lunacie
02-11-16, 02:23 PM
My autistic granddaughter had loose stools for years.

We were finally able to see a gasterontologist who said she was actually constipated.

When the stool stays in too long it gets soft and runny.

She said to give her MiraLax until her stools became normal.

We had to repeat the process twice, taking less time to normalize each time.

There haven't been any problems that can't be explained by a virus in the last two years.

acdc01
02-15-16, 10:34 AM
Do you get enough fiber? That alone was the difference between completely irregular all my life to mostly regular.

That's the first thing I'd do if it were me. It's an easy switch too. Could even be just a fiber supplement or a cereal with 40% of daily fiber needs in it. I'm actually trying to eat more like unmanageable does but haven't been very successful so far. Until I'm better at eating non-grain fiber rich foods, I keep eating my fiber cereal every morning.

acdc01
02-15-16, 11:10 AM
Do you get enough fiber? That alone was the difference between completely irregular all my life to mostly regular.

That's the first thing I'd do if it were me. It's an easy switch too. Could even be just a fiber supplement or a cereal with 40% of daily fiber needs in it. I'm actually trying to eat more like unmanageable does but haven't been very successful so far. Until I'm better at eating non-grain fiber rich foods, I keep eating my fiber cereal every morning.

Just saw 1 cup raspberries have 32% daily fiber needs. 1 cup broccoli 20% fiber needs. Guess it's not that hard to not eat the fiber cereal even if you want to limit grains and still get high fiber. I think I'm going to have to do more research myself. I kind of wish the exercise and nutrition sections of this forum were more active. I would imagine that behind medication, exercise and nutrition would be the biggest contributors in reducing ADHD symptoms. Well, maybe reducing stress and staying happy might top those two, not sure.

Pilgrim
07-31-16, 10:54 AM

This, I know this thread is old but I wanted to bring this up.

Psyllium husks can be bought at the health food store. Look at an alkaline food based diet, plenty of water.

I think people talk about hormonal problems, I seem to get a lot of pimples, compared to before. The hormonal imbalances could they be due to the body trying to put itself back in balance.
What sucks for me is the gut issues; to much bloating, uncomfortable and start to become toxic.
Just thought I would mention.

OhLookABunny
11-15-16, 01:51 PM
I have had co-existing anxiety disorders, which no doubt played a part. When I was younger, still having periods, IBS was a part of my PMS. Then after my hysterectomy, that ended but I developed an incisional hernia. Two mesh repair operations for the hernia didn't work out so well and my guts had adhesions and stuff, which led to the constipated side of IBS. Now I have just had a complete abdominal wall reconstruction, and my surgeon asked me how my "IBS" (he put it in finger quotes) was doing. I have to say it is greatly improved since my innards are back in their proper places.

Not everyone will have a mechanical issue as I did, but if you do think you might, it'd be worth getting it checked out.