View Full Version : Falling Asleep While Reading...Always

Pjbapper
01-15-16, 02:13 PM
I am so sick of this problem in my life. It has me behind in most anything I do, especially work. I cannot read without having a need to put my head on my desk and fall asleep.

This has always been the case. I am 51 years old! Junior high school through college, early profession, etc. It's been a part of my being as long as I can remember.

Not only do I need to sleep while reading, I have difficulty staying awake in meetings, where I have an uncontrollable need to close my eyes and phase out. Man I can't even concentrate on the news on TV without feeling a need to snooze.

This is not narcolepsy. I have no problems driving and other things. I believe this is pure ADHD, inattention, as I have other tell tales signs.

I hate stimulants!! They make me very anxious. Sometimes I think they make me depressed too. Anybody found a stack of supplements, herbs, vitamins, what not to get energy, focus, alertness WITHOUT anxiety?

I'm so sick of this being who I am....

dvdnvwls
01-15-16, 03:36 PM
No, nobody has found that "stack" because it doesn't exist. Sorry. That's why there are stimulants. But there are some other non-stimulant medications that sometimes help a lot - have you been prescribed any of those?

Fuzzy12
01-15-16, 03:47 PM
I used to have this problem till I started stimulants. :scratch:

Other things that help me:

1. Underlining or highlighting keywords in the text that I've just read, writing little comments or immediately looking up terms, definitions, etc. You know anything that makes your reading more active, or requires you to do something rather than just following lines with your eyes.

2. Reading while walking or standing (though it doesn't help me with focus).

3. Reading in very small chunks.

4. Reading aloud.

Donny997
01-16-16, 12:23 AM
Definitely had that same problem until medication. When the meds are working right, it's amazing how much and quickly I can read even the most verbose of textbooks. There was 0 chance of that happening before, and natural supplements and nootopics like piracetam didn't help.

Stimulant medication takes some time getting used to. I no longer have the anxiety I had when starting up on both adderall and wellbutrin.

sarahsweets
01-16-16, 10:15 AM
You absolutely need to have a sleep study done. I can briefly share about my husband. He has narcolepsy. His is not the super dangerous kind where he will fall asleep standing up or driving or something but any kind of low stimulus activity like reading, watching tv in a dimly lit room, seminars, and back in the day church causes him to fall asleep. He almost always has to take a power nap after dinner.
When he had his sleep study one of the things that led to a diagnosis was how quickly he fell into the second and third stages of sleep. And he didnt stay in them long. When he is sleeping at night he jumps around those stages and rarely spends enough time in the deep sleep stages III and IV so he has daytime sleepiness. Combine that with how fast he falls asleep in these low stimulus environment, it was determined that he needed medication . Provigil saved his life.
I am not trying to diagnose you but whats the worst that can happen? You find out there is nothing wrong or worse that there is something wrong with an easy fix.

Just my two cents.

Pixelatedmind
01-16-16, 10:22 AM
I am sorry this is frustrating for you. When I have to study, 15 minutes in I feel very exhausted and sleepy and end up taking a nap. So far stimulants has only helped me with staying awake and feeling less fatigued.

Most nights the only way I get myself to fall asleep is reading random Wikipedia articles or reddits. Works better than sleeping pills.