View Full Version : Teva Generic Experiences - Focalin?

mechanic_x
01-17-16, 08:56 PM
I've recently been prescribed Focalin IR Teva generic.

The side effects are awful, and it has no positive effect whatsoever. It seems to make me really depressed and weak feeling. I also feel really weird chest pain and anxiety from 5mg x 2 per day.

I've specifically read that Teva brand Focalin IR is completely different than brand.

I am very familiar with pharmaceuticals, having read the nocebo/placebo studies. I know our mind can confuse us. But I am getting an unreasonable level of chest pain and anxiety, with zero mental stimulation.

I'm familiar with stimulants, having taken various legal stimulants, including ephedrine, Sudafed, and Caffeiene. The Teva Focalin IR produces zero mental stimulation, meaning I cannot start any projects and cannot finish any existing tasks. I feel no mental improvement whatsoever, but feel very weak and my thoughts feel foggy. This can't be right based on the research I've done?

I'm willing to try brand Focalin again, but I need to know if anyone can verify if there will be a difference?

dvdnvwls
01-17-16, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Please talk to your doctor about this whole thing.

sarahsweets
01-18-16, 09:30 AM
I've recently been prescribed Focalin IR Teva generic.

The side effects are awful, and it has no positive effect whatsoever. It seems to make me really depressed and weak feeling. I also feel really weird chest pain and anxiety from 5mg x 2 per day.

I've specifically read that Teva brand Focalin IR is completely different than brand.
Yes, manufacturers can make a difference but in actuality its much more rare than you think it is. It seems like the easy answer but the answer might be that this is not the med for you. What you are describing is probably more because of the type of medication it is.

I am very familiar with pharmaceuticals, having read the nocebo/placebo studies. I know our mind can confuse us. But I am getting an unreasonable level of chest pain and anxiety, with zero mental stimulation.

I'm familiar with stimulants, having taken various legal stimulants, including ephedrine, Sudafed, and Caffeiene. The Teva Focalin IR produces zero mental stimulation, meaning I cannot start any projects and cannot finish any existing tasks. I feel no mental improvement whatsoever, but feel very weak and my thoughts feel foggy. This can't be right based on the research I've done?
Thos legal stimulants you mention are nothing like prescribed medication so throw those comparisons out the window.
All of what you are saying points to this med not being right for you.

I'm willing to try brand Focalin again, but I need to know if anyone can verify if there will be a difference?

No one can verify this as its individual.

Snake-Eater
01-19-16, 11:21 AM
I'm prescribed 10mg teva focalin. Sometimes I get anxiety, stiff neck, chest pains. Other days I don't. Same thing with Barr dex-amp when I was prescribed it. Teva/Barr pharm for the most part are far from quality. Their generic kolonopin is so so compared to brand name, but the mirtazapine actually was great. Never tried brand name remeron though. I've spent so much money on generics that felt like poison it's disgusting. Your going to have to play lab rat until you find something that works for you. Don't mean to come off as discouraging, but it's the truth.

sarahsweets
01-19-16, 12:52 PM
I'm prescribed 10mg teva focalin. Sometimes I get anxiety, stiff neck, chest pains. Other days I don't. Same thing with Barr dex-amp when I was prescribed it. Teva/Barr pharm for the most part are far from quality.
Teva/barr are the same company.
I've spent so much money on generics that felt like poison it's disgusting. Your going to have to play lab rat until you find something that works for you. Don't mean to come off as discouraging, but it's the truth.
Why would the generics feel like poison?

Snake-Eater
01-19-16, 01:42 PM
Sorry for the confusion. The / was to imply that they are the same company. I'm prescribed bupropion for anxiety/ depression. 1st was mylan 100 mg blue. Super speedy, anxious, racing thoughts, heart palpitations. Told doc, she said it isn't normal. So I was given samples of sandoz 100mg purple pill. Intense feelings of euphoria... Everything slowed down. Felt like some dream type of state. I've run both several times and the same thing happened, except the blue mylan sometimes did nothing at all. That also isn't normal. Then came par pharm bupropion xl. Worked fantastic. Told the doctor how it made me focus much better and Was diagnosed with adhd. Tried amp (activas) and d-amp generic (barr- not clean feeling at all) did try tevas xr Which I know shire makes but it was too highly dosed and decided amps are not for me due to sides. So now focalin by teva, it does work for adhd but I get sides that people don't report from brand. Searching for why there was a difference in generics and brand is how I found this forum.

mechanic_x
01-20-16, 01:45 AM
Snake-Eater, your information was precisely what I was looking for. I needed some validation. The Teva Focalin I've been trying for ADHD has extremely bad side effects.

The side effects are tolerable if I take less of the medication, but the mental effects include fatigue, anti-social feelings, sore muscles, brain fog, depression, and if I swallow the medication before dissolving it in my mouth, I get severe stomach cramps 4 hours later from 7.5 mg worth!

I was going to go into a lengthy explanation, but I'll just say: As a test, and with your doctors permission, try to take the Focalin sub-lingually. Study "Ritalin sublingual absorption" for more information. A smart person will notice something very peculiar about the difference in the effects from taking Teva Focalin sub-lingually. There should not be any major differences in the effect, but there is. There is an important conclusion that can be drawn from this test, which would seem to indicate that Teva brand generic Focalin isn't 100% pure dexmethylphenidate.

I get the feeling that molecularly, Teva generic dexmethylphenidate is not the same as Focalin. Similar molecule, but not the same molecule. Slight variations in a molecule can make a substance have a COMPLETELY different effect. It can also mean the difference between one drug being a poison and one being a helpful medicine.

Of course, I have a very limited experience with ADHD stimulant medications, so I'm still open to the possibility that my body isn't use to Focalin. I'm going to give it some more time.

Thank you for your verification. I needed to have validation so I know I'm not crazy!

I will attempt to change my prescription to the non-generic Focalin after my next doctors appointment, and I will comment back on the differences.

Snake-Eater
01-20-16, 11:43 AM
I'll look into sub-lingual more, Thanks for the advice. Another thing many people tend to overlook is diet. The food you eat determines how your body and mind performs. Eat as healthy as possible, take the forms of vitamins and minerals your body can actually absorb, stay hydrated and exercise. Gut flora also plays a role in mental health, so take quality probiotics like from garden of life. Then there's detoxification, to clear out the pollutants our bodies take in on a daily basis. These are key steps for overall optimal health. Then medication should be last resort. Hopefully this helps, and let me know how the brand name works out for you. Wish you the best!!

Greyhound1
01-20-16, 11:14 PM
***Moderator Note***
Taking stimulants sublingually (dissolving them under tongue) can be potentially dangerous and should only be considered if prescribed that way from your physician. This is considered off-label administering.

Also, please be careful of our med. guidelines in posts and to not endorse or encourage off-label uses or administering. This is considered med. misuse. Thanks, Hound

mechanic_x
01-24-16, 11:53 PM
I did not realize I had violated the terms of this website. I intend on following the rules.

The problem is, I am not able to edit my own post, or delete it, so now that I've violated the terms I'd like to be able to change my post to make it suitable. Can you help?

aeon
01-25-16, 11:10 PM
I get the feeling that molecularly, Teva generic dexmethylphenidate is not the same as Focalin. Similar molecule, but not the same molecule. Slight variations in a molecule can make a substance have a COMPLETELY different effect. It can also mean the difference between one drug being a poison and one being a helpful medicine.

Feel as you like, but know that science tells us otherwise.

Cheers,
Ian

sarahsweets
01-25-16, 11:13 PM
I'll look into sub-lingual more, Thanks for the advice. Another thing many people tend to overlook is diet. The food you eat determines how your body and mind performs. Eat as healthy as possible, take the forms of vitamins and minerals your body can actually absorb, stay hydrated and exercise. Gut flora also plays a role in mental health, so take quality probiotics like from garden of life. Then there's detoxification, to clear out the pollutants our bodies take in on a daily basis. These are key steps for overall optimal health. Then medication should be last resort. Hopefully this helps, and let me know how the brand name works out for you. Wish you the best!!
Why on earth would you say a proven first line treatment for adhd be a last resort?

Snake-Eater
01-27-16, 12:02 AM
Nutrition plays a major role in how your brain and body functions. Deficiency in essential nutrients may lead you to believe you have adhd, but you might actually not. A person that eats processed foods and drinks soda all day will not have better cognition than someone who has a nutritionally sound diet. The longer you deprive your body the worse the symptoms become. If you have your diet in check and there's still a problem, then yes by all means use medication. Don't just use medication as a bandage for a lack of nutrition. That's the point I'm trying to make.

mechanic_x
02-05-16, 01:52 PM
Just wanted to update on the Teva Focalin. I got another stimulant medication and it has zero stomach pain, zero fhest pain, zero side effects other than vasoconstriction and loss of appetite. No anxiety and profound improvements in ADHD symptoms.

After discontinuing Teva generic Focalin I had severe withdrawals despite never feeling benefits from it. After stopping it I had severe body pains, insomnia, and severe cracked lips which didn't occur until stopping. The withdrawals were far more pronounced than the primary effects and this was after only 30 days.

Conclusion: The Teva brand Generic Focalin is a lethal poison and there should be massive customer backlash.

mechanic_x
02-05-16, 02:00 PM
Just an update. I switched to a different medication and got non Teva generic by Mallinckrodt.

The Teva Focalin is the most toxic medicine I've ever taken in my life. The new stimulant medication by Mallinckrodt has none of the side effects of the Teva Focalin.

Let this message be a warning if you don't feel good from Teva generic Focalin please get a different generic brand and or try a different medication because the new medication I received literally has zero anxiety, zero stomach pain and zero chest pain, whilst also being much stronger and far more beneficial.

I hope this message helps someone. I think Teva has a bad reputation for a reason. Don't give up on medication until you try a NON Teva generic.

Snake-Eater
02-12-16, 07:05 AM
Which med r u using?

aeon
04-16-16, 11:34 AM
I’ve been on Teva dexmethylphenidate/Focalin generic (2x10mg 2x/day) for a few days now, and my experience has been good, and just what I expected.

Cheers,
Ian

Bouncingoffwall
04-20-16, 02:00 PM
I've had an inconsistent experience with Teva Amphetamine - some days were too speedy, and others I felt very drowsy. I tried controlling other variables, such as sleep and dietary intake; this made little difference. Teva has been reported to be a cheap, yet low-quality manufacturer of generic drugs. Switching to Sandoz Adderall made a huge difference - it was very consistent.

I'm taking Teva Dexmethylphenidate ER currently... Over the last few days, I've had one inconsistent day (weird "bursts" of speediness amongst general drowsiness), one drowsy day, and two "just right" days. I need a longer period of time to judge if a switch to the Mylan generic would be helpful - e.g., seeing how I react given consistent sleep, etc.

Don Draper
05-04-16, 03:46 PM
Neva is straight trash. The Teva Focalin doesn't work. Also, I noticed there are less beads than normal. Seriously, shake it, and listen for how loud it is because of how few beads there are. Go with brand name Focalin

jenwhatever
04-02-17, 09:48 PM
Just an update. I switched to a different medication and got non Teva generic by Mallinckrodt.

The Teva Focalin is the most toxic medicine I've ever taken in my life. The new stimulant medication by Mallinckrodt has none of the side effects of the Teva Focalin.

Let this message be a warning if you don't feel good from Teva generic Focalin please get a different generic brand and or try a different medication because the new medication I received literally has zero anxiety, zero stomach pain and zero chest pain, whilst also being much stronger and far more beneficial.

I hope this message helps someone. I think Teva has a bad reputation for a reason. Don't give up on medication until you try a NON Teva generic.
The pharmacies around my house carry Tris Pharma and Teva. I am def not getting the teva. Ever try the Tris generic focalin? I'm researching in case I don't have another choice. Maybe I'll call the chain drugstores and see what they carry, too. I only called 3 neighborhood drugstores.

jenwhatever
04-02-17, 09:51 PM
Oh, I currently take Dexedrine generic by Mallinckrodt, and do not have too much of a crash effect, just minimal. Teva/Barr generic give me headaches and I refuse to fill them with those generics anymore. I asked my dr if I could try Focalin again (it's been years), but want to find the best generic before getting it filled. Thanks!

hollywood
04-27-17, 12:06 AM
Nah , give the poster a break. Brand focalin works a lot longer and smoother in the ir formulation and the xr as well. I think a lot of generics have become total sh***t. So, he maybe right. I pay 1800 a month for blue cross and health providers really suck lately , so they flooded the generic market. Why ? More profits for sh**t drugs that work a hell of a lot worse.