View Full Version : Impulsive buying

Toss4n
01-19-16, 04:45 AM
Didn't see any other threads dealing with this subject, so I thought I would bring it up as it is a pretty common trait among ADHDrs.

What happened: I sat down at my desk yesterday at about 12 am in order to do some work I've been missing out on since I've been in the hospital. Next thing I know is that the clock is 5 am and I am researching which pads to buy for my headphones (started out with computer parts, and then got into headphones, and lastly I settled for researching which pads to buy from amazon). This happens all the time for me and I absolutely hate it, because all of the things I buy impulsively end up collecting dust a few days later, and then it's on to the next thing (really expensive stuff as well). I cannot control it, but luckily I did read about it on reddit the other day where someone suggested buying something related to what you are planning, but costs much less (hence the earpads). So I am trying to learn how to manage it.

It's scary how my brain persuades itself that I really need something and that it doesn't cost that much (which is never true) and completely loses its sense of time (usually happens when I get really into something my brain seems to enjoy, as normally it feels like everything is moving in slow-motion yet I'm completely stressed out all the time - talk about paradoxical thinking). I also have trouble sleeping and focusing on anything else (moreso than normal) for days afterwards. :(

Pixelatedmind
01-19-16, 05:02 AM
What makes it even worse is the impatience following the purchace. I keep checking the tracking 5799654 times a day (40% at morning and 60% at night)

It's like that impulsive purchase is going to make your life all easier and better!

I love the unboxing stage... But then the interest starts to decline rapidly.

sarahsweets
01-19-16, 05:28 AM
Didn't see any other threads dealing with this subject, so I thought I would bring it up as it is a pretty common trait among ADHDrs.

What happened: I sat down at my desk yesterday at about 12 am in order to do some work I've been missing out on since I've been in the hospital. Next thing I know is that the clock is 5 am and I am researching which pads to buy for my headphones (started out with computer parts, and then got into headphones, and lastly I settled for researching which pads to buy from amazon). This happens all the time for me and I absolutely hate it, because all of the things I buy impulsively end up collecting dust a few days later, and then it's on to the next thing (really expensive stuff as well). I cannot control it, but luckily I did read about it on reddit the other day where someone suggested buying something related to what you are planning, but costs much less (hence the earpads). So I am trying to learn how to manage it.

It's scary how my brain persuades itself that I really need something and that it doesn't cost that much (which is never true) and completely loses its sense of time (usually happens when I get really into something my brain seems to enjoy, as normally it feels like everything is moving in slow-motion yet I'm completely stressed out all the time - talk about paradoxical thinking). I also have trouble sleeping and focusing on anything else (moreso than normal) for days afterwards. :(

Being impulsive can definitely carry over to buying and spending. I know for me, amazon is a killer. I love amazon but when I am searching for something and then I see the section that says " people who bought this also bought..." then I am looking at even more than I wanted to see. I believe also that people with adhd have a higher chance with addiction and for some people compulsive buying and spending can be so difficult to control.

Toss4n
01-19-16, 05:28 AM
What makes it even worse is the impatience following the purchace. I keep checking the tracking 5799654 times a day (40% at morning and 60% at night)

It's like that impulsive purchase is going to make your life all easier and better!

I love the unboxing stage... But then the interest starts to decline rapidly.

Had to pick expedited shipping because of this. Feels insane that I don't have the patience to wait two days extra and ended up paying almost as much for the shipping as for the actual product. And the actual product will have zero affect on my life, and I will enjoy it for maybe an hour after it arrives (maybe a bit more if it takes me time to get it to fit my headphones), yet I absolutely HAD TO HAVE IT. And the worst part is it feels like my brain actually enjoys this much more than anything else in life, especially the things that actually matter (they feel boring). :(

Pixelatedmind
01-19-16, 06:44 AM
Had to pick expedited shipping because of this. Feels insane that I don't have the patience to wait two days extra and ended up paying almost as much for the shipping as for the actual product. And the actual product will have zero affect on my life, and I will enjoy it for maybe an hour after it arrives (maybe a bit more if it takes me time to get it to fit my headphones), yet I absolutely HAD TO HAVE IT. And the worst part is it feels like my brain actually enjoys this much more than anything else in life, especially the things that actually matter (they feel boring). :(

I feel your pain! sometimes I pay even more for international shipping and customs (us address then international 3 days shipping), its insane! and amazon prime is the devil because I impulsively signed up before only for the free 2 day shipping.

I thought I was addicted before ADHD :lol:

Pixelatedmind
01-19-16, 06:49 AM
I believe also that people with adhd have a higher chance with addiction and for some people compulsive buying and spending can be so difficult to control.

Super true.

Do you think treatment helps with that? or it turns into a habit?

sarahsweets
01-19-16, 07:16 AM
Super true.

Do you think treatment helps with that? or it turns into a habit?

I think since adhd involves impulsiveness that treatment with meds can help. Sometimes things can turn in to habit with the right medication. I know for me, Ive gotten much better. I used to love the mall, except for the crowds and stimulation but I would put up with it because I was unmedicated and really wanted "stuff". I know now that stuff doesnt fill the void. Being an alcoholic has and using a 12 step program has really helped me prioritize and stick with needs rather than wants, although when my husband gets paid there is always something sitting on my wish list tyhat I would like to buy. My addictive personality means that I had issues with shopping, overeating, and alcohol.
Meds saved my life.
So I guess my long winded advice is that meds can help you build better habits but wthout them I cant stick to the good habits.
I feel like I am rambling.

Babyd19
01-19-16, 08:59 AM
This was my big problem as it affected my whole family and we are still financially suffering because of my pre-medication impulsive/compulsive spending. It still creeps back up at the end of my day when my medication wears off but not like it was,,

aeon
01-19-16, 09:18 PM
I used to be like this, especially back when I was earning good coin, back before the world economy went into the ****ter. Imagine waking up one day and saying to yourself “Yes, you bought a Tiffany lamp.” :p

But then I changed, and this was before meds...I would research and research, but rarely pull the trigger, because there was always something more to consider and learn.

I’m still like that now, on meds...but perhaps a little less likely to become mired in “just a little more research.”

But I do love to shop and on Amazon I’ve got a cart with pages and pages of things “saved for later.”

I’m also a huge fan of seeking out and scoring deals. I built a computer at work where I took 3 months to amass the parts, but every one was purchased on sale, so the end PC was quiet, fast, and inexpensive, especially for its throughput.

I also used to be one of those people at the grocery store who would have a stuffed cart and pay under $20 because of all my coupons, promotions, and hitting what the store had on sale with those things. That is a heck of a lot of work on the back end though, and these days I can’t be bothered to do what is necessary.

I should never go grocery shopping without my meds, and doubly so if I am tired and/or hungry. Impulsive choices?

Well, it was double-digits below zero yesterday, and I have 4 flavors of frozen fruit juice bars in my freezer. And 3 ice creams because...I’m a damned fool.

It helps that my “buzz” from shopping is the searching and research, and that pulling the trigger is usually deflating, and sometimes anxiety-producing.

Cheers,
Ian

Corina86
01-20-16, 03:46 PM
Are you on meds? Concerta did help me with this kind of things. I'm more sure if it's a form of addiction or procrastination, but I'm handling it better on meds.

coffeesudoku
01-20-16, 04:27 PM
I freeze my credit cards in a giant block of ice. That way, it takes hours of thawing for me to regain access to them, giving me time to reconsider the purchase.

Twiggy
01-20-16, 04:30 PM
I only get impulse buying when it comes to used books.

But they are only like a few cents each.

BellaVita
01-20-16, 07:43 PM
I'm not an impulsive buyer because I was guilted often when I wanted something as a child.

So, I instead have the opposite problem of going months and months without a necessary item.

I feel guilty even when the things I buy are just things I need. I rarely ever buy something I want. (Thankfully I am with someone who is helping me unlearn the guilt)

I can see how ADHD can make buying impulsivity worse, though.

Delphine
01-20-16, 08:03 PM
"Impulse Buying" can be shortened down to a very simple, and less worrying, thing in my books.

Can you afford this little idiosyncrasy or not? (ie... if it's causing you big problems, like not being able to pay rent or buy food.... then you have a problem..... If not, then it's an idiosyncrasy.... a much lesser problem that only needs maybe a little tweaking.)

Impulse buying is in there amongst the downsides. Yes.... better if we didn't do it.... but NOT our biggest issue, so lets not name it amongst the biggies unless it's causing us huge grief?)

When my child died, these kinds of "lesser" things came sharply into focus for me. I think we could all do well from labelling these kinds of idiosyncrasies as amongst "the small stuff".

Yes.... there are many things about being ADHD that make no sense and can guilt us and make us feel that we should be able to discern more about what we buy.....

But.... in the greater scheme of things.... what difference does it really make? We can beat ourselves up continuously about that we could do better.....

Yet today is always another day to start afresh.... and we are wired to do things differently anyway.... so what's another newly bought set of headphones, really? In the greater scheme of things?

Fuzzy12
01-22-16, 02:54 PM
I rarely venture out (or online) to buy something but when I do, I find it hard to resist. Especially a good sale. Whenever I go to the department store to buy some sort of trousers I return with a dozen tops and dresses (because trousers/jeans/ are too boring to try). Once I start shopping online there's no stopping me. Especially if I'm shopping for the budgies. Mostly I really just need food and cleaning detergents for them but I browse the online pet store for hours buying each and every toy on sale. :rolleyes:

I mostly just buy discounted stuff though. I can be a real miser when it comes to paying full price for anything. This means that I've got a house full of things I don't need and am missing a ton of essential items that I do need.:rolleyes:

Socaljaxs
01-22-16, 03:04 PM
For me in person I have had a impulsive shopping issues. Where I will overbuy. Sometimes I wise up and return it, other times I just keep it.. But I'm so grateful I don't have an impulse buying problem with online shopping. For what ever reason I find online less appealing and even when it is something I need to purchase, I will procrastinate and either end up buying it in store or forget all about it. Or after researching it completely, then finally buy will but never impulsive online

Pixelatedmind
01-23-16, 05:36 AM
Can you afford this little idiosyncrasy or not? (ie... if it's causing you big problems, like not being able to pay rent or buy food.... then you have a problem..... If not, then it's an idiosyncrasy.... a much lesser problem that only needs maybe a little tweaking.)

Impulse buying is in there amongst the downsides. Yes.... better if we didn't do it.... but NOT our biggest issue, so lets not name it amongst the biggies unless it's causing us huge grief?)

Yes.... there are many things about being ADHD that make no sense and can guilt us and make us feel that we should be able to discern more about what we buy.....

Yet today is always another day to start afresh.... and we are wired to do things differently anyway.... so what's another newly bought set of headphones, really? In the greater scheme of things?

It's not a simple and benign issue for some, for me at least, I'm broke before the end of each month, I never save any money for emergency, I never have money for any longer term plans, I miss pills, I own many things I don't use, I never get to sell anything before it becomes obsolete, I waste alot of time on these purchases...

The only thing I could control is never borrowing any kind of money, but some people have debts and ongoing trouble managing their money issues.

The list is long, impulsive buying coupled with poor management, impatience and forgetfulness is a very big problem for many.

Husky42
01-23-16, 05:42 AM
I had an issue, did not realize it until i maxed out my girlfriends $3500 Amazon card. All frivolous purchases. Now I try and control it. She's been one of the most incredible and understanding partners i've ever had.

Socaljaxs
01-23-16, 10:58 AM
The list is long, impulsive buying coupled with poor management, impatience and forgetfulness is a very big problem for many.

:goodpost::thankyou::yes::goodpost: this right here! I think this sums up the problems and issues for the many right there I identify with this above statement big time....This is for sure some of my big key issues I struggle with also..

TwoWheels68
01-24-16, 07:48 AM
I never realised I impulsed spent and lost interest in the item immediately until I was diagnosed and was lucky to hit the right meds relatively quickly. For me now it's a thing of the past. I think my wife will be happy too...no extra motorcycles parked in the lounge room :)

julialouise
06-07-16, 05:53 PM
I don't know if I ever considered myself to be an "impulsive" buyer, but I definitely make stupid purchasing decisions. Like yesterday, I bought a set of fake nose rings even though I only had a certain amount of cash to get me through the next couple days (for food and gas -- i cut it extremely close). but i just had to get them right then and there! and one of the three rings broke and i was extremely upset with myself at that point.

i know when i'm more depressed, and when i have more money, i go on thrift/antique sprees fairly often. my roommate commented on the fact that i was broke but kept coming home every weekend with plastic bags of junk. i like to get things that are nostalgic, cute, or if it just fits my style. it definitely helps that i limit my spending to cheap things, but that just means that i end up buying more in the long run. i dont know, being able to go out and shop makes me feel so much better. i hate buying stuff online, so i'm lucky in that regard. i work really hard to save money though, so that really does help my impulses when shopping. i always sort through what i've picked out before i buy it now.

AddAnxiousMe
06-15-16, 10:33 PM
This subject really cracked me up because it hit so close to home for me, especially the compulsive buy and subsequent constant checking of the tracking. That is me to a T when I make a depression buy. I know it's not a funny subject for people that are messing up their finances from compulsive buying, but just the way some of you worded your posts gave me some good laughs:lol:.
:thankyou:

Laserbeak
06-15-16, 11:21 PM
I have the same problem. I can rack up thousands on Amazon while thinking I just spent like $200 or something.