View Full Version : newly diagnosed ADHD comorbid anxiety at 27

rebecca2123
01-19-16, 09:15 AM
Hello.
well, it took me a while to get here (okay so i was only diagnosed 4 days ago) but i have been obsessed with these forums since and have finally trudged into registering. Honestly i have so many thoughts and questions in my mind i am not aure where to start sorting through the chaotic mess...
My doctor says without family he cant put a formal dignosis but that he has no doubt about it. My family is not healthy or functional enough to give the answers or help needed to make this formal. They refuse to believe i ever even broke my arm when i was 6. How can you forget that? Anyways, so he doesnt want to start stimulants yet until 95% sure gets to 100% sure but i am skeptical of stimulants anyways and uncertain. I am not even sure about ADHD ZYET (my family is a no believer in things like this)
SO i was started on wellbutrin XL 150mg and klonopin for 2 weeks to help offset side effects, oh dear i cant even remember the reason i started this post, there was something i was really wanting an answer to.
Any advice for being so new to this at least? Advice on adhd itself and struggles and medications? something i really am curious about is... how did you realize you needed to go see someone? Perhaps my question will pop back up again later lol. Nice to meet you all.

sarahsweets
01-19-16, 12:39 PM
My doctor says without family he cant put a formal dignosis but that he has no doubt about it. My family is not healthy or functional enough to give the answers or help needed to make this formal.
I dont understand this. Having family members share what they observed can be helpful but since there is no definitive test for adhd I am not sure why your doctor wont diagnose you especially because the doctor is sure about it.

Anyways, so he doesnt want to start stimulants yet until 95% sure gets to 100% sure but i am skeptical of stimulants anyways and uncertain. I am not even sure about ADHD ZYET (my family is a no believer in things like this)

No one can ever be 100% sure. There arent any tests for adhd. There are plenty of people that have adhd and didnt have family or report cards and stuff like that to back them up. And why are you skeptical about stimulants?
The are well studied medications and considered a first line treatment for adhd.
Any advice for being so new to this at least? Advice on adhd itself and struggles and medications? something i really am curious about is... how did you realize you needed to go see someone? Perhaps my question will pop back up again later lol. Nice to meet you all.

Being new you should do your research. Reading about treatments for adhd will demonstrate how helpful stimulants can be. If I was seeing your doctor and he wouldnt diagnose me because I didnt get my family invovled, I would be upset and question his ability to treat adhd and his knowledge of it.

Socaljaxs
01-19-16, 12:39 PM
Considering, there isn't a test available to be 100% conclusive. Not sure why your doctor would say that. I would be pursuing this more with him, considering if he is needing family for history of you, maybe another person would surfise.

But welcome

Pilgrim
01-19-16, 01:52 PM
IMO if you're seeing the right dr they will work out if you have ADD or not. Took my dr less than 10 minutes. I had heard the term but understood nothing.

Some doctors are reluctant to prescribe Stimulints due to the abusable potential. From your point of view you have to fix the problem.

I don't think a doctor would make that diagnosis lightly. Goodluck on your search. I'm a bit of a believer in the person themselves knowing what's right for them. And I think Stimulints treat the condition quite well although their is a stigma attached to their use.

rebecca2123
01-19-16, 03:13 PM
Sorry, i said i had a thousand things running through my head so i may have mixed things up or jumped ahead at points (nothing new there, its why i prefer not to socialize at all so the fact that i am trying is monumental). This doctor generally gets information from family/friends to confirm adhd diagnosis, otherwise anyone can walk in and pretend to be adhd for the drugs. My parents are severely ill (mentally) talking to them would not be beneficial in a diagnosis as it would be a miracle if they could even remember my birthday, not to mention they despise mental health and would purposely answer questions oppositely from the truth.
I am actually thankful that my doctor is hesitating to place an exact diagnosis after only 30 minutes with me. He didnt mean 100% positive as in test wise, he was talking about when having 100% of the information. My report cards have no comments and i was a straight A student, back then all that was put was your grade and who knows if teachers would remember me anyways. High school teachers do as i was definitely the class clown but...
neither here nor there, here i am. I am not a person who cares for the effects of medicine, hence my hesitation. I never liked drugs or alcohol, i am not unwilling to try it though, we just both agreed it was a medicine that could possibly work for both anxiety and adhd so we may as well try!
I have done ALOT of research, in fact its about the only thing i have done this past week, i just wanted and was hoping to be able to talk to real people with real experiences instead of being left with even more questions.

BellaVita
01-19-16, 05:53 PM
Can you bring a friend in?

That is odd that he won't diagnose you just because he needs a family member/friend especially since he is sure you have ADHD.

I've been diagnosed with ADHD a few times and only the first time was a parent there, and the rest of the times didn't require a parent or anything. I see you're in FL, FL has a lot of crappy psychiatrists in my experience. I know a psychiatrist that isn't *too* far from Ocala, he was the best one I ever had. If you need a new pdoc feel free to message me and I'll tell you his name.

If your current doctor doesn't give you the diagnosis and proper medication, go find another doctor.