View Full Version : Clergy

Revwooster
01-19-16, 10:38 AM
Just curious if there are any other clergy on the forums.

Curious how you cope with ADHD on the job? How does it impact what you do? what gifts does it bring? How do you compensate for the pitfalls? How much do you share with a congregation? Etc. etc. etc.

James

TygerSan
01-20-16, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the forum. I am not clergy, but I know we've got at least a couple of members here who are in Seminary, and I know a couple of people IRL who have ADHD and are clergy. It's a tough balance between oversharing and being open and honest with the congregation. And for some reason it really seems as though congregants expect ministers to be more super human than human sometimes and therefore treat them like crap.

That said, communication, calendaring, etc are more important than you could ever imagine. If you can help it at all, try not to let parishioner emails slide by the wayside; it really stinks to pour ones heart and soul into an email and receive no response. Even just a email received, let's talk later would suffice. Find people you can rely on/lean on when things get overwhelming (and the will).

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck.

KarmanMonkey
01-20-16, 12:08 PM
Coming from a professional perspective, and not specifically a clergy based one, my general recommendation is to stay away from the ADHD label, and instead, if you're sharing, focus on what your shortcomings might be (e.g. remembering names, keeping your calendar straight) and ensure people that your pitfalls are not a reflection of the importance your congregation holds with you.

Knowing some friends who are heavily involved in their church, there are often members of your congregation who have strengths in areas where you struggle, and you may be able to rely on them to assist you so your challenges don't impact the work.

Your role may be to lead your congregation, but that does not mean you have to do it alone. If I recall, most clergies have a support network, much like social workers and doctors have a community of practice. You could connect with your peers in the clergy and see if they can offer support and guidance as well.

And perhaps most importantly, treat yourself with at least as much compassion and forgiveness as you would offer your congregation.