View Full Version : Need Help Finding Jeans

BellaVita
01-20-16, 11:44 PM
Hello. :) I know it is odd to talk about this on a forum like this, but I really didn't know where else to go.

I am trying to find a new pair of jeans.

I have bought the same make of jeans since about 8th grade, and I found out that they no longer make that pair.

I LOVED those jeans. They fit great on me and worked well with my body shape.

I very much dislike shopping and so I want to be as informed as possible so that I can go in to as few stores as possible.

Here's some issues: I dislike skinny jeans, I just don't find them comfortable and I have had issues in the past finding some that work with my body type. But, I feel like that's all they make anymore?

I am curvy (not another word for overweight) mixed with athletic build.

Can anyone recommend a store that has jeans for this body type? Jeans that aren't skinny jeans?

Thank you so much, you have no idea how much your input helps me. :)

NameNotFound
01-20-16, 11:53 PM
Jc Penney?

Socaljaxs
01-20-16, 11:58 PM
Lol, I understand the jean struggle! Jean shopping is an experience and conquest in it of itself... of it is for for me. My sister and mom and grandparents to name a few worked in the fashion industry for years so I was born with fashion in the blood Question what is the brand of jeans you like?

Here is a secret most don't know... Almost all brands(labels)are made by an outside manufacturer and the store brand just add the brands label, like so you may have the jeans available as a new label! Example; Victoria secret shares the same manufacture as some of target bras . So identical bras at Victoria secret can be our purchased at target for a fraction of the price.and they are in fact identical.. Wetseal/ Arden b before Arden b went out of business jeans were from the same manufacture as 7 jeans

I am a firm believer than once you find a brand that works everything falls second.and good jeans are an investment.

Socaljaxs
01-21-16, 12:02 AM
Also, I'm no a fan of skinny jeans either, I don't think I look right in the unless I'm wearing tall boots.but flairs, boot cut and oh yes even the lovely bell bottoms are back in style

BellaVita
01-21-16, 12:22 AM
Lol, I understand the jean struggle! Jean shopping is an experience and conquest in it of itself... of it is for for me. My sister and mom and grandparents to name a few worked in the fashion industry for years so I was born with fashion in the blood Question what is the brand of jeans you like?

Here is a secret most don't know... Almost all brands(labels)are made by an outside manufacturer and the store brand just add the brands label, like so you may have the jeans available as a new label! Example; Victoria secret shares the same manufacture as some of target bras . So identical bras at Victoria secret can be our purchased at target for a fraction of the price.and they are in fact identical.. Wetseal/ Arden b before Arden b went out of business jeans were from the same manufacture as 7 jeans

I am a firm believer than once you find a brand that works everything falls second.and good jeans are an investment.

The brand of jeans was Aeropostale - Haley flare jeans. I dislike their other jeans. :( They're either skinnies or jeggings I think. But I haven't been to the actual store in quite a while, I only know this information because my fiancé went in for me.

I didn't know that, thanks for telling me!

BellaVita
01-21-16, 12:26 AM
Also, I'm no a fan of skinny jeans either, I don't think I look right in the unless I'm wearing tall boots.but flairs, boot cut and oh yes even the lovely bell bottoms are back in style

They are? I didn't know that!

You'd think all that exist here are skinny jeans and yoga pants.

Socaljaxs
01-21-16, 12:38 AM
They are? I didn't know that!

You'd think all that exist here are skinny jeans and yoga pants.

I don't know exactly where you live.mi do know the coasts of usa east/west coast fashion starts earlier than the middle states. But yes, all over the runways and in stores flairs and bell bottoms are showing up and skinny is still here yes but it will eventually turn back around and away. It did it in the 90's and came back in around 2010.. Every 20 or so years you see a change in legs for jeans.

Like I said, fashion was and is in my blood. Some people have quality time and celebrate or connect by meals. My family we shop... This weekend my sister and I need to start going thru my moms clothes and making room for my dads stuff. My parents master bedroom has 4 closets. 2 long mirror and two walk ins.. Supposed to be his/hers or the new politically correct dual closets.. But all 4 were just for my mom and my sisters bedroom closet which also is a walk in just of my moms stuff and. My grandmas stuff.

But let me look at the brand and see what I can dig up for you.

However I will say you mentioned your body is changing. So, online purchase may not be wonderful right Noel since your body is changing, so what fit amazing a few years ago may not be the same now.

BellaVita
01-21-16, 12:47 AM
I don't know exactly where you live.mi do know the coasts of usa east/west coast fashion starts earlier than the middle states. But yes, all over the runways and in stores flairs and bell bottoms are showing up and skinny is still here yes but it will eventually turn back around and away. It did it in the 90's and came back in around 2010.. Every 20 or so years you see a change in legs for jeans.

Like I said, fashion was and is in my blood. Some people have quality time and celebrate or connect by meals. My family we shop... This weekend my sister and I need to start going thru my moms clothes and making room for my dads stuff. My parents master bedroom has 4 closets. 2 long mirror and two walk ins.. Supposed to be his/hers or the new politically correct dual closets.. But all 4 were just for my mom and my sisters bedroom closet which also is a walk in just of my moms stuff and. My grandmas stuff.

But let me look at the brand and see what I can dig up for you.

However I will say you mentioned your body is changing. So, online purchase may not be wonderful right Noel since your body is changing, so what fit amazing a few years ago may not be the same now.

Well sounds like I've got the perfect person to help me then - haha

That's a lot of closets! :eek:

Yay for flares!!! They were my favorite as a kid and teenager, still are my favorite.

You have good memory. I wouldn't dare purchase online. I don't even know my current size or what exactly my body shape is. Yes, body is indeed changing. I am still not used to it.

So that's why I'm willing to buy at a new store, as long as I know they have the type of jeans I like (whatever that is, flare jeans? I don't know) and works with my body shape.

Socaljaxs
01-21-16, 01:00 AM
From what I dug up so far, the main location of the Manufacture is Sri Lanka. Let me ask my sister in the morning, simce she would be able to tell me exactly what sourced key word will help me determine another store. I have a feeling American eagle or store similar may have a dupe pair. But I will find out in the morning

namazu
01-21-16, 01:04 AM
The brand of jeans was Aeropostale - Haley flare jeans. I dislike their other jeans. :( They're either skinnies or jeggings I think. But I haven't been to the actual store in quite a while, I only know this information because my fiancé went in for me.

I didn't know that, thanks for telling me!

On their website, they still list a "curvy bootcut" jean. It's sold online only, but if it doesn't fit, you can return it to the store.

If your old jeans still fit in a way you like, you can also check eBay to see if someone's selling them in your size and model (even if the store doesn't make them anymore). If you go that route, be sure to check whether the jeans have been exposed to smoke/pets if those would bother you.

Otherwise, I second the recommendation of JC Penney (or clearance racks in department stores, though that usually requires a willingness/ability to pick through the rack).

Socaljaxs
01-21-16, 01:05 AM
Yup I much rather wear flairs or bootleg and every once in a while straight leg. But honestly I don't think skinny is flattering on most people. Pair that with most don't know how to properly size wear them I just see many fashion fails over skinny. Like people that would be tall and thin would look bigger with skinny jeans, or if they buy the wrong material it just becomes a hot mess

aeon
01-21-16, 01:18 AM
...oh yes even the lovely bell bottoms are back in style

Oh yes, indeed! :p

They were at their commercial height when I was a small child, and I know they left a serious (positive) impression.

For similar reasons of time period I think large, dense, circular afros are lovely. ;)

I’m OK, You’re OK,
Ian

BellaVita
01-21-16, 01:24 AM
From what I dug up so far, the main location of the Manufacture is Sri Lanka. Let me ask my sister in the morning, simce she would be able to tell me exactly what sourced key word will help me determine another store. I have a feeling American eagle or store similar may have a dupe pair. But I will find out in the morning

Awww thanks so much! :)

BellaVita
01-21-16, 01:27 AM
On their website, they still list a "curvy bootcut" jean. It's sold online only, but if it doesn't fit, you can return it to the store.

If your old jeans still fit in a way you like, you can also check eBay to see if someone's selling them in your size and model (even if the store doesn't make them anymore). If you go that route, be sure to check whether the jeans have been exposed to smoke/pets if those would bother you.

Otherwise, I second the recommendation of JC Penney (or clearance racks in department stores, though that usually requires a willingness/ability to pick through the rack).

Thanks for finding that. I will take a look at it.

I already did check eBay. But, no, my jeans don't fit. I out-curved them. The last pair I bought was like my sophomore year of high school...so that would be why. ;)

I will try for JCPenney. That's a start. Thank you!

Unmanagable
01-21-16, 01:39 AM
Some folks get weirded out by shopping at thrift stores, but I've had the absolute best luck there for damn near everything. And it's the best place for some cool vintage retro threads. :)

I have to be in the right mood to have enough patience to try stuff on, but I can handle the thrifty environment much better than the overly aromatic and overly priced mall spaces.

Found several pair that fit perfectly. And talk about a wide variety of styles to try all at once. I launder them, smudge them, and enjoy the heck out of knowing I only spent 4 or 5 bucks vs. retail price. It's like a treasure hunt. :)

Socaljaxs
01-21-16, 01:49 AM
Thanks for finding that. I will take a look at it.

I already did check eBay. But, no, my jeans don't fit. I out-curved them. The last pair I bought was like my sophomore year of high school...so that would be why. ;)

I will try for JCPenney. That's a start. Thank you!

A Site called poshmark sells them also like eBay, and try Amazon as well online aeros. But, if you do want to explore new jeans options, Depending on your budget. For low end I would say check out express, and or tj maxX, Ross or marshalls and if you can go during a day and can handle the chaos nordstroms rack... they will have variety of not only slightly irregular fits but also good price on good quality jeans...

But department stores like Macy's and nordstroms,Bloomingdales have a wide variety of jeans. Plus, they have an option to schedule a free personal shopper. That will help you try new styles. It doesn't cost anything and you don't Have to purchase anything if you don't want too. It's not a mandatory must buy a minimum . It's optional.

I would caution you against old navy and gap since they have horrible pocket placement and tend to be very unflattering.

stef
01-21-16, 08:05 AM
If Aeropostale has a store in an outlet mall, they might have some.

You could try Old Navy, they have three different "fits" (sweetheart, rockstar, and something else I don't remember...), and in those, tall and short, and then different styles.
It's a little overwhelming. And the sizes aren't the same between the three fits!

PLEASE don't tell me skinny stretch jeans are going away. I have a terrible time finding jeans and pants because I'm short yet high waisted (if that makes sense...) plus really they're so comfortable and they look nice on me (at least I hope so!)

Little Missy
01-21-16, 09:10 AM
Just be prepared for the Lycra invasion! :eek:

stef
01-21-16, 09:25 AM
Just be prepared for the Lycra invasion! :eek:

No, I LOVE lycra!

Little Missy
01-21-16, 09:28 AM
No, I LOVE lycra!

I know you do, being a 'modern woman' and all. :)

I'm a cotton purist, USA made, bury me in my boots old school jean hoarder.

Little Missy
01-21-16, 09:37 AM
Didn't mean to jack on your thread Bells.
Miss Me makes some real cute jeans with lots of top-stitching and bling like all get out. Google them. I have no idea how they ride in them but they are blinging all over town in them.

stef
01-21-16, 09:37 AM
I know you do, being a 'modern woman' and all. :)

More like woman with a difficult figure! If I sit down in a tailored skirt that doesnt have a low waistline, it slips up to my ribcage...stretch items have saved me much discomfort.

but if you want anything without lycra, you have to really look.

Bella, maybe a Levis store...? it might not be your style but maybe they have lots of size options.

Unmanagable
01-21-16, 09:49 AM
Levis hug my curves in all the right places now. I used to have to be a stretchy jean kinda gal because of my abundant figure. Regular jeans of any brand were too uncomfortable.

A sweet pair of ladies Levis was the first thing I found in my former high school size that I was able to buy after I lost weight. Yay!!

Still my favorite fit, texture, length, look, leg width, and everything else. For a grand total of 4 dollars. :) Holla! lol

Socaljaxs
01-21-16, 10:47 AM
On their website, they still list a "curvy bootcut" jean. It's sold online only, but if it doesn't fit, you can return it to the store when I looked at those on the site. The material was different (cotton to spandex polyester ratio) I did see American eagle had a similar in terms of material pair to Aeropostale and it looked the exact same. I will go back and find the label name it is under but the materialratio was the same as hailed flairs.

Some folks get weirded out by shopping at thrift stores.. And it's the best place for some cool vintage retro threads. I have to be in the right mood, to have enough patience to try stuff on, but I can handle the thrifty environment much better than the overly aromatic and overly priced mall spaces. It's like a treasure hunt. yes:thankyou::yes: true thrift shops where I live seem to be less common. Even in the streets known for vintage used clothing. expect the major chain type stores goodwill, SA, out if the closet, not many tiny one location type thrift store, but we seem to have an abundance of "retro used vintage type shops"( no clue the actually name they are classified as Need more coffee) like crossroads American vintage, iguana buffalo exchange; but the price tags are so not thift prices. But the inventory is more stylish and pickier ... But true thrift store can be a goldmine if you can have the patience to spend time looking. I have found such amazing things over the year, but you have to be in the right headspace and be on a treasure hunt mission to find items of need.

If Aeropostale has a store in an outlet mall, they might have some. ugh i don't know if it is regional but our "outlet stores" are just malls at this point, prices and sales and items are almost the exact same as what I would find in a mall. sad cause when I was younger the outlets malls where very different to what they are now. I will say the "outlets that are located at a headquarters is about the only place where true outlet prices exist here at least. But not all are open to the public daily sometimes it's specific dates

PLEASE don't tell me skinny stretch jeans are going away. I have a terrible time finding jeans and pants because I'm short yet high waisted (if that makes sense...) plus really they're so comfortable and they look nice on me (at least I hope so!) stretch jeans no they will live on, but skinny jeans will become less and less available, and harder to find over the next couple years.

Didn't mean to jack on your thread Bells.
Miss Me makes some real cute jeans with lots of top-stitching and bling like all get out. Google them. I have no idea how they ride in them but they are blinging all over town in them. oh my gosh this is just adorable. I can totally picture you bedazzled out in boots

BellaVita
01-21-16, 05:10 PM
Thank you everyone for your awesome help!!! :thankyou:

TygerSan
01-21-16, 06:35 PM
I like Levis also. It's been over 15 years so I don't know if its still true, but GAP jeans used to fit me like a glove also, and I've always had a booty. Eddie Bauer also had a curvy fit line that worked when I was a little heavier than my GAP years.

sarahsweets
01-26-16, 03:18 AM
I get 90% of my jeans at goodwill. They are so expensive and the styles change so I dont like to spend a fortune on them. When a pair stretches out or isnt what I thought they would be its much easier to donate them and get another pair.

pelargonium
01-31-16, 09:56 AM
Do you shop online? If you have the cash (or sufficient credit), sometimes it can Then send back what doesn't work.

Then I would say, read reviews online and see what detailed feedback other women have given, to help you narrow down your choice.

I have had my favourite jeans now for five years, and no new pair has lived up to them. I got them online from Boden and White Stuff in the UK, both pairs were in the sale, and because they were "last season" there was a huge amount of feedback from previous purchasers which helped me feel confident they were the "right" shape that would fit my full high hips, lardy thighs, etc. :)

If you can sew, or know someone else who can, Craftsy has a brilliant online course to reverse engineer your favourite jeans. I think it's called Jean-ius and it's taught by Kenneth D King. I have all the materials to do this but my old jeans are so stretched out now, that I now need to find another "new" pair that fits better before I can make a good copy. :)

pelargonium
01-31-16, 11:08 AM
Can't work out how to edit, so correction to first para above. Should have read:

Do you shop online? If you have the cash (or sufficient credit), sometimes it can be helpful to order a few different styles, have a good sit down and walk around in front of a mirror to see which features work best for you, then send back what you don't want.

TheKey78
02-01-16, 05:49 PM
I like American Eagle Jeans, especially the ones with a little stretch. They have all kinds, I personally like the straight leg and Skinny but they also have boot cut. I have very "curvy" shape too. Every time I wear a pair my husband comments on how good they look on me. Hope that helps

Snoopy10
02-15-16, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure how old you are (if you are talking about high school jeans, maybe young?) but NYDJ makes every kind of jeans including boot cut. They are made for curvy. The only thing is you have to be okay with wearing a brand made for older women (I'm in my 40s). They aren't branded so no one will know. You can order them online from Nordstrom, free shipping and free returns. So no frustrating shopping to do at the store! ( I can't shop at a store, too many choices and I get frustrated or buy stuff I never wear).
Speaking of clothes, a godsend for me has been Cabi. They have free stylists who pick out full outfits for you. No more struggling with a million thoughts of trying to figure out what goes together, it's helped my outfit self esteem a lot!

BellaVita
03-04-16, 02:46 AM
Thanks again everyone for your help :) I ended up finding a nice pair from JCPenney - they are very similar to my old Aeropostale jeans in color and style - except they actually fit me nicely. :) And they have slight flare at the ends of the legs.

Also, I'm a smaller size than I thought I'd be. :yes:

Woooo glad I finally bought a pair!

Unmanagable
03-04-16, 08:05 AM
Yay! Glad you found some that you like. :) Penney's was one of my stops last week in trying to find the hubster some new jeans. Had to buy his Levi's new vs. thrifting. Couldn't find his size.

I've since scored a pair of L.L.Bean jeans (could never buy those before because they didn't make them large enough) with the flare leg, and another pair of Lee "Riveted" carpenter jeans at the thrift store that fit like a glove. Total spent, $8.00. :)

Having to stop and take a second look in the mirror because I still don't recognize myself from afar, priceless, and a bit disorienting at times. lol

daveddd
03-04-16, 01:16 PM
I'm done with pants, and societies standard of wearing them

Free to Fly
03-04-16, 03:16 PM
Please forgive the old guy jumping in here, but since the ladies I love go thru this also, may I suggest a country western store? In my area we have Coastal Supply, and Dels, and I have seen similar stores when I am down South. Tools, feed, livestock, and clothes.

renjas
03-27-16, 12:53 AM
Maurices is my favorite place right now, but they are pricey..I used to go to debs but they are gone..

Simargl
03-27-16, 01:04 AM
I don't care for skinny jeans either. I'm considering buying a pair because they'd go well with my boots but I'm really on the fence.

I typically buy curvy bootcut. I got my last couple of pairs at American Eagle. I like the fit and they're durable.