View Full Version : inflammation

baical
01-21-16, 09:11 AM
I'm trying to find out if I can take aspirin (low dose) while on Dexedrine, anyone know? Drugs.com listed aspirin (usually combined with other drugs) as having moderate drug interaction with Dexedrine. I only need low dose aspirin, and I won't take it at the same time with Dexedrine, is this OK?

Little Missy
01-21-16, 09:14 AM
Ask your doctor. I take aspirin all day, every day and at night too. I love it. I think aspirin is far superior to other pain and inflammation medications. I'm surprised it hasn't been made illegal to buy. Strong stuff.

baical
01-22-16, 02:45 AM
this isn't sarcasm right Missy? Are you on Dexedrine? Are you on baby aspirin?

Socaljaxs
01-22-16, 02:58 AM
Call your pharmacy and ask they may be better to help. It's not smart for us to give you medical advice on drug interactions and considering we dint know your medical hystory to tell someone they should or shouldn't interact meds isn't a smart thing to do, call professionals

Little Missy
01-22-16, 05:01 PM
this isn't sarcasm right Missy? Are you on Dexedrine? Are you on baby aspirin?

No, it absolutely is NOT sarcasm. I take regular dose aspirin and yes, I do take Dexedrine. Ask your doctor. And yes, I do believe aspirin is far superior to many anti-inflammatory pain meds. Great stuff.

Little Missy
01-22-16, 05:50 PM
And I hoard aspirin also. It is cheap and very effective.

Greyhound1
01-22-16, 07:57 PM
I get little to no inflammation relief from aspirin or acetaminophen. I need about 600mg. of Ibuprofen to get noticeable relief.

I mentioned it to my Dr. and she didn't really respond. I assumed they were ok with dextroamphetamine since she prescribes that to me.

I prolly should do some research on this.:confused:

Little Missy
01-22-16, 10:36 PM
Everyone responds differently to different prescribed medications and/or over the counter medications. Ask your doctor and find what works best for you.:)

BellaVita
01-22-16, 10:36 PM
I get little to no inflammation relief from aspirin or acetaminophen. I need about 600mg. of Ibuprofen to get noticeable relief.

I mentioned it to my Dr. and she didn't really respond. I assumed they were ok with dextroamphetamine since she prescribes that to me.

I prolly should do some research on this.:confused:

I also get zero relief from acetaminophen.

Ibuprofen really is what I need. I take it every day for headaches and body pain.

And, unlike acetaminophen, ibuprofen actually reduces inflammation.

Little Missy
01-22-16, 10:37 PM

Ibuprofen really is what I need. I take it every day for headaches and body pain.

Yeah, acetaminophen does not work well at all for me.

Unmanagable
01-22-16, 11:03 PM
Isn't taking that stuff daily what makes them harmful to our liver and other various innards?

I used to have to take Aleve rather often to help, most especially during times of any precipitation in the air. Aspirin, ibuprofen, nor acetaminophen helped me.

Haven't needed any since I changed how I eat, and I also experience fewer headaches. There for a while, I was having what felt like cluster headaches and fairly frequent ongoing dull aches, especially in the temple areas.

The arthritic and fibro pains from hell have lessened tremendously, too. Even on cold and rainy days, I don't feel as achy and am rarely totally out of commission like I used to be, damn near daily. Even old injury areas don't flare up like they used to. I was bed ridden more often than not.

I'm truly blown away by the level of relief I feel from pain. I thought I'd never see the level of functioning I've managed to experience through diet and movement. Ever. I continue to blow my own mind daily with my discoveries through self-experimentation.

BellaVita
01-22-16, 11:13 PM
Isn't taking that stuff daily what makes them harmful to our liver and other various innards?

Yes, taking acetaminophen daily can cause damage to the liver.

Taking ibuprofen daily isn't good either, it can cause stomach ulcers and I think possibly increase chances of stroke. (Don't know how true the stroke thing is - if anyone has reliable scientific information on this I would like to know)

I take only ibuprofen every day. I have already been diagnosed with stomach and intestinal ulcers (intestinal ulcers from Crohn's). I take Sucralfate which helps line my stomach to heal the ulcers. (My previous doctor prescribed me lots of it and I still have a couple bottles)

The alternative is me not being able to do anything all day. I am in lots of pain every single day. I have had a headache every single day since 2012, and I have joint pain and body pain every day without fail. The ibuprofen helps me live my life. And since I cannot afford medical treatment, it is really all I have right now.

I used to have to take Aleve rather often to help, most especially during times of any precipitation in the air. Aspirin, ibuprofen, nor acetaminophen helped me.

Haven't needed any since I changed how I eat, and I also experience fewer headaches. There for a while, I was having what felt like cluster headaches and fairly frequent ongoing dull aches, especially in the temple areas.

The arthritic and fibro pains from hell have lessened tremendously, too. Even on cold and rainy days, I don't feel as achy and am rarely totally out of commission like I used to be, damn near daily. Even old injury areas don't flare up like they used to. I was bed ridden more often than not.

I'm truly blown away by the level of relief I feel from pain. I thought I'd never see the level of functioning I've managed to experience through diet and movement. Ever. I continue to blow my own mind daily with my discoveries through self-experimentation.

That's awesome that you have found what works for you.

I wish I could absorb nutrients properly. The last three blood tests I had came back with a deficiency in something new each time. :( It's because my colon is messed up from my disease, I cannot absorb nutrients well, so I'm stuck until I get it treated.

I'll never forget what those B-12 shots did for me. It was like a miracle.

baical
01-24-16, 05:36 AM
Can Naproxen (aka Aleve) be taken daily? I'm only familiar with daily aspirin I haven't heard much of other NSAIDs being used daily due to liver damage, etc.

baical
01-24-16, 05:38 AM
compared to aspirin, how are those?

aeon
01-24-16, 04:08 PM
Aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen will all inhibit the prostoglandins COX1 and COX2, but they donít mess with your liver. They all have significant anti-inflammatory properties.

Aspirin is a potent inhibitor of the production of platelets. This, in combination with the COX1 and COX2 inhibition, is why aspirin can cause GI bleeding and ulceration.

Acetaminophen/paracetamol does not have significant anti-inflammatory action, and too much taken in a 24-hour period will cause liver failure.

Check with your doctor in regards to any of them interacting with dextroamphetamine. I did, and my doctor wasnít worried about any of them in this regard.

That said, acetaminophen/paracetamol does nothing for me, and I cannot take aspirin as I am already on an anticoagulant.* So ibuprofen it is, for me. If I feel the need to take it, I take it in the original prescription dose of 1600mg.

Cheers,
Ian

* If I take aspirin, I lose the ability to clot, and I donít want to bleed out. ;)

Little Missy
01-24-16, 05:05 PM
You may need a little bit more than a baby aspirin for some "inflammation." But you sure can't beat that orange flavor!

baical
01-25-16, 12:20 AM
My inflammation is exercise induced. There was an article I read that every after workout, to look and feel pumped up (to look hardened), pop an aspirin. It does work. I think it's because it lessens inflammation.

While I'm not worried about the heart attack or stroke possibility of amphetamines, I would think aspirin could help with the heart attack issues due to coagulation? The stroke part I don't know about but I read somewhere that stopping aspirin abruptly after long term use may cause heart attack or stroke (for those at risk to begin with).

I prefer low dose as it is only for slight inflammation, so does ibuprofen come in low dose like aspirin does? Also, which is preferred; slow release or quick release? I'm worried about Ibuprofen's effect on the kidneys though as I don't think it comes in "baby ibuprofen".

If anyone's been following the news on neuroscience, I read that inflammation is linked with neurological disorders like schizophrenia, etc. which is also why I started this thread, considering exercise is hormetic (too much is bad for you, too little is bad for you). I feel that my inflammation was due to too much exercise (I was a gym rat in high school), which I think led to me lacking attention and concentration (as if high school wasn't distracting enough). Plus, just last year I had my blood tests done and I had asked my doc to test me for Lyme disease, while I do not have it (since it takes at least a few "strains" of it to determine I have it, 1 strain was present in high concentration which suggested I may have had it years ago, when my psychotic symptom showed). This may have been linked to my original diagnosis and current ADHD diagnosis. I live in the part of the U.S. where Lyme disease is common.

aeon
01-25-16, 10:19 PM
While I'm not worried about the heart attack or stroke possibility of amphetamines, I would think aspirin could help with the heart attack issues due to coagulation?

It is good you are not worried, because the risk of these things from clinical use of amphetamines is so low as to approach statistical insignificance.

Chronic use of aspirin for the purpose you describe is going to create other issues long before a vascular event of the heart or brain is likely to present itself.

...I read somewhere that stopping aspirin abruptly after long term use may cause heart attack or stroke (for those at risk to begin with).

Specifically, for those who have had a previous heart attack and/or stroke of the ischemic variety, cessation of aspirin prophylaxis raises the risk of experiencing a non-fatal heart attack.

I prefer low dose as it is only for slight inflammation, so does ibuprofen come in low dose like aspirin does?

Sure, take one OTC pill...there you go, 200mg...1/8 of the original prescription dose.

Also, which is preferred; slow release or quick release?

I guess that depends on the reason one is taking it. If it is pain/inflammation, I would think the garden-variety OTC version would be suitable.

I'm worried about Ibuprofen's effect on the kidneys though as I don't think it comes in "baby ibuprofen".

If one experiences dysfunction of the kidneys due to the inhibition of prostaglandins by use of an NSAID, it can be reversed by cessation of the medication.

Cheers,
Ian

baical
02-01-16, 04:00 AM
baby aspirin, IR, cherry flavored, works well decreasing the inflammation that's exercise induced. I can easily maneuver my body the next day whereas without taking it, I feel sore. I don't think the body is meant to be sore like that otherwise it creates a problem like cortisol and belly fat storage.

baical
02-02-16, 07:54 AM
any idea if prescription omega-3 Lovaza may interact with baby aspirin? drugs.com has it at "moderate". I will ask the pharmacist to make sure but if anyone here know, is it OK to take both drugs (not at the same time, like hours apart).

baical
02-08-16, 11:37 AM
I don't get the importance (?) of the cox1 or cox2, I'd have to look into it. regarding bleeding with aspirin, I'm only on baby aspirin. I do take Lovaza (prescription omega 3), and the info sheet it came with mentioned something about avoiding anti platelets (?) like aspirin? I don't remember the exact words, but I do not take both at the same time. Not sure if I should continue Lovaza while taking aspirin.

What is your anticoagulant for?

I do notice I feel less and look less "inflamed" when taking aspirin daily. I even notice that I lost weight and or didn't gain weight while on it because exercise causes inflammation and increases cortisol levels so using an NSAID like aspirin cuts off cortisol (an inflammation) therefore, weight and fat doesn't seem to be storing.

Aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen will all inhibit the prostoglandins COX1 and COX2, but they donít mess with your liver. They all have significant anti-inflammatory properties.

Aspirin is a potent inhibitor of the production of platelets. This, in combination with the COX1 and COX2 inhibition, is why aspirin can cause GI bleeding and ulceration.

Acetaminophen/paracetamol does not have significant anti-inflammatory action, and too much taken in a 24-hour period will cause liver failure.

Check with your doctor in regards to any of them interacting with dextroamphetamine. I did, and my doctor wasnít worried about any of them in this regard.

That said, acetaminophen/paracetamol does nothing for me, and I cannot take aspirin as I am already on an anticoagulant.* So ibuprofen it is, for me. If I feel the need to take it, I take it in the original prescription dose of 1600mg.

Cheers,
Ian

* If I take aspirin, I lose the ability to clot, and I donít want to bleed out. ;)

aeon
02-08-16, 09:06 PM
What is your anticoagulant for?

Prophylaxis so I do not have another stroke on account of my PFO.

I do notice I feel less and look less "inflamed" when taking aspirin daily. I even notice that I lost weight and or didn't gain weight while on it because exercise causes inflammation and increases cortisol levels so using an NSAID like aspirin cuts off cortisol (an inflammation) therefore, weight and fat doesn't seem to be storing.

Aspirin does not affect cortisol secretion or metabolism in a statistically significant manner in human beings.

If you lost weight during a time period, it is simply because you used more calories than you ate, creating a deficit that your body addressed by the conversion of some kind of tissue.

Cheers,
Ian

baical
02-12-16, 01:29 AM
Aeon, I always thought you were too young to be having a stroke. Was it ever amphetamine induced? No?

Regarding aspirin, I was assuming since it is antiinflammatory that it would reduce that from exercise induced and therefore since cortisol is an inflammation response, aspirin would help reduce the inflammation and anything associated with it like cortisol. There was an article "is exercise making you fat"? I would say it can, due to the stress/inflammation, which I think mine is induced by exercise. I'm under 160 pounds yet the fat is stored in my belly and torso area which suggests it's cortisol (from what someone told me). I actually should be ripped by now considering the amounts of weights I can lift etc. Aspirin seem to lessen the soreness feeling as well. I read an article that low dose NSAID post workout can give you that "hardened" look. Another plus.

aeon
02-12-16, 02:11 AM
Aeon, I always thought you were too young to be having a stroke.

People of all ages have strokes for all kinds of reasons...it is not something you can be too young for.

Was it ever amphetamine induced? No?

No, it is because I have a hole between the two top chambers (atria) of my heart through which passed a blood clot that was then pumped up my neck and into my brain.

About 25% of people have this same hole to some degree...mine is large enough to pass a blood clot under certain circumstances.

That was when I was 39, and my introduction to prescription amphetamines as part of ADHD treatment wasnít until 3 years after that.

Regarding aspirin, I was assuming since it is antiinflammatory that it would reduce that from exercise induced

Yep.

and therefore since cortisol is an inflammation response, aspirin would help reduce the inflammation

Yep.

and anything associated with it like cortisol.

Nope...the inflammation is reduced, but the presence and production of cortisol is not affected.

There was an article "is exercise making you fat"? I would say it can, due to the stress/inflammation, which I think mine is induced by exercise.

Exercise can lead to inflammation, but it cannot make you fat. The only thing that can make you fat is eating more calories than you burn over a period of time (excluding the effects of metabolic disorders and many medications).

I'm under 160 pounds yet the fat is stored in my belly and torso area which suggests it's cortisol (from what someone told me).

Stress response can affect insulin sensitivity which can lead to greater belly fat deposition, this is true, but cortisol is not responsible for that, or part of that process.

There are many other possible reasons for this, of course...genetic, diet, diabetes, hormonal, and on and on...

And in any case, that is usually the last place a male will retain fat even if it is largely absent everywhere else.

I actually should be ripped by now considering the amounts of weights I can lift etc.

Well, thatís a combination of muscle growth and definition *and* the absence of adipose tissue over that musculature. The part after the *and* is not always so easy, in large part because your body maintains that fat as part of your survival and well-being.

Aspirin seem to lessen the soreness feeling as well.

It certainly will do that. I use ibuprofen to relieve muscle soreness, and that works well for me.

I read an article that low dose NSAID post workout can give you that "hardened" look. Another plus.

I know nothing of this, so I canít comment one way or the other.

But thereís all kinds of ideas and products marketed toward guys as giving that ďhardenedĒ look, and theyíre almost universally some angle of BS with the intent of separating the guy from his money.

Cheers,
Ian