View Full Version : Accommodations

Nathanael
01-21-16, 03:30 PM
I'm in the process of applying for accomodations for college, and my neuropsych. wants to know what would be beneficial. What are some common accommodations they give? I'm primarily inattentive...

GoalieMel33
01-21-16, 04:59 PM
It really depends on the nature of your limitations and abilities: what are you struggling with? As each situation/case is very different, they will give you specific accommodations based on your needs.

When I was in college (back then I wasn't diagnosed yet), I had extra time (1/3) and could take my exams in an isolated room if I requested it. I was seeing an educator every week who helped me with organization and learning too.

Now that I have a diagnosis, my neuropsychological report recommends: schedule with fewer courses, extra time (50%) in an quiet place if needed and 1/2 more time for projects. Other accommodations you could get include:
- notetaker peer
- tutor
- the right to use a laptop or recorder for notetaking (access to text-to-speech, speech-to-text or correction softwares) and/or exams
- getting written notes/outlines/summaries in advance
- being evaluated orally instead of written (when that applies)
- being allowed to take pauses during classes and/or tests
- etc

Edit: Also, my suggestion would be to talk to your teachers about your difficulties so you can both figure out how they can help you. If they know what's challenging for you they will probably be more willing to cooperate in putting in place facilitating measures. Even though I didn't have these precise accommodations, some were understanding and let me bring a laptop to take notes, surpervise my extra time (they don't always do it and don't have to) while providing me a separated/distraction-free area, spend more time for 1-on-1 explanations and other compromises such as choosing to be the first one evaluated (to get this done with).

dvdnvwls
01-21-16, 06:48 PM
The accommodations they give are based very much on an instructor's or administrator's point of view. If you try to think like them, you'll be more likely to come up with things that they can actually do.

Things I really wish they could do: Have classes less often and for longer. More tests and fewer projects. No group work.

Obviously, those are never going to happen. :)

So, think in terms of "What can an instructor or administrator really be expected to do to help me?"

Nathanael
01-21-16, 11:36 PM
Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out...just what is realistic and reasonable.
Thanks, GoalieMel33, that's helpful. For me, I'm mainly inattentive, so I have problems focusing, staying organized, etc...