View Full Version : Concerta and moodiness with 10yr old girl

conshek
01-23-16, 10:24 AM
My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 4. We recently decided that it was time to give medication a try. The pediatrician put her on concerta (27 I think). After 4 days we stopped. She was extremely moody and confrontational. Also, very talkative. We really didn't see a positive change and the behavior issues were too much for us. I messaged that Dr's nurse and they said it was fine to stop but they weren't going to put her on anything else. I have asked why we can't try anything else but apparently the Dr had left for the day.

Has anyone had this reaction with Concerta? I'm upset that the Dr won't consider another med.

dvdnvwls
01-23-16, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the forum!

It was most likely just not quite the right dosage for her. It would have been better to go back to the doctor and say what was happening; but you can still do that. The nurse has no power to change anything about anyone's prescriptions, but that doesn't mean the doctor won't do it. You'll really need to make another appointment to see the doctor directly.

Some pediatricians are not that experienced with ADHD and won't prescribe any medication they aren't fully familiar with. It might end up that your daughter needs to see a psychiatrist instead of the pediatrician for this.

ToneTone
01-23-16, 03:01 PM
Sounds like too high a dosage for a start ...

It probably makes sense to go down to 18mg of Concerta ... and see how she is on that ... Understand that sometimes people have strong reactions for a week or a few weeks and then the reactions (side effects) decrease ...

Definitely try the lower dosage before switching to a new medication. That's the general process of treating ADHD: vary the dosage first ... because technically there is no such thing as "Concerta" ... but rather Concerta 18mg and Concerta 27mg and Concerta 36mg, etc ... People often have wildly different responses at different dosages of the same medicine. The dose makes the medicine, the old phrase goes ... One beer is fine ... Four beers and you're drunk.

I would definitely say try 18mg first ... you'll probably notice that she has more energy and assertiveness but with less of the negative stuff you noticed ... BTW: you mention that she was confrontational ... just an idea: "confrontational" is just slightly over the line from "assertive." ... I definitely became more assertive after I began taking the meds ... and this was a good thing! I just didn't have the energy or focus to be assertive before taking the medications.

Again, there's a chance that even the negative stuff you notice on 27mg would decline as her body gets used to the med. And put this in the back of your mind as well: just because she had this reaction on Concerta 27mg now ... doesn't mean she will have the same reaction to Concerta 27mg in three years or five years ...

Since ADHD meds are controlled substances, doctors can not phone in the medications or fax them in ... so you would need a new appointment to get a physical script to hand to the pharmacy ... So they couldn't change the medication without a new appointment anyway.

I actually see the strong reaction as a sign that the med at a lower dosage might work quite well. That's usually been the case with me--when I've had the strong reaction she's had--then a lower dosage was just the trick. And yes, this was the case specifically when I was on Concerta.

Good luck.

Tone

ToneTone
01-23-16, 10:24 PM
And if 18mg of Concerta doesn't work, THEN you switch to a new medication. I think 18mg is the lowest dosage. But there are a lot of ADHD medications, so don't freak out if she has a bad result on 18mg.

For most of us, it is a process of trial-and-error with medications. Ultimately you want to find the medication with the best positive effect with the fewest negative side effects. Very few people get the best medication or the right dosage on the first go.

Good luck.

Tone

sarahsweets
01-26-16, 03:56 AM
Because concerta is part of the methylphenidate class of drugs its possible that amphetamines will work better. If your doctor actually refuses to try anything else then find a different doctor.

conshek
01-26-16, 08:02 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm not very happy with her pediatrician but we are in the military and in an area that leaves us with little choice for another Dr. According to the nurse, the Dr. said that she won't try a lower dose or different med on my daughter. I still haven't been able to get an answer as to why not. I guess I need to make an appointment and go in myself. (In the military, meds are just entered electronically to the military pharmacy)

We are moving this summer so we may just have to hold off on meds until we get to our new place and get adjusted there. I was hoping to have meds in place to prior to moving.

Thanks for all info/comments!!

ToneTone
01-27-16, 03:49 PM
Won't try a lower dose?!!! ... That's nuts. Lower doses are safer in all senses of the word ... safer for side effects, safer for the doctor prescribe.

That's nuts ...

Sorry to hear about this.

dvdnvwls
01-27-16, 04:51 PM
I agree with ToneTone - refusing to prescribe a lower dose is absolutely ridiculous.

The only possible way I can make sense of it is if the military buys these medications in bulk and only at a few of the needed dosage levels, and then tells doctors that those exact dosages are the only thing they can prescribe. That would fall into the category of "I see the logic, but it's very bad logic". The same logic that would cause them to issue boots in only size 6 or size 14, and then prohibit any other boots from being worn.

starry_nite
02-11-16, 11:29 PM
I find your situation very concerning it seems only safe to start with lower dosages and work your way up. If I were you I would certainly look into another physician.
I have a 15 yr old son who is add and a 5 yr old niece that is severely adhd.
I tried the meds with my son and it was a horrible experience plus considering the long term damage the meds cause. I have come across an all natural product that was first created to help with diabetes and chronic pain. you may have heard of plexus my children take there are a variety of products and tons of testimony and information regarding the use of the products for adhd I always feel word of mouth is the best testimony for any product. There's so much research these days and information put forth for all natural remedies I can say from my experience it has been a lifesaver for us.
I say research it for yourself you are bound to find some very interesting information.