View Full Version : Am I the only woman, who can't seem to find a job that sticks!?!

inattentiveme
01-24-16, 12:06 AM
I've always struggled with staying at one job, from the moment I was able to start working. I went to college for 6years and have an RN degree, I have jumped from job to job before and after me degree. Every time, I convince myself that "This is it!" "I've finally found the one..." Then something gets in the way. I don't get fired, (well I was terminated my last job due to absenteeism; which was B.S., but that's besides the point) maybe a little bit of boredom, I don't know🙄. I feel like every job I've had sucked, in some aspect; whether it's the shift, coworkers, hours, or type of work I'm doing. No job has been able to fit my schedule, not to mention; I happen to struggle with "time management." I always have difficultly having the drive to even "go to work." I'm not lazy or stupid, so I just don't get it. Am I the only one like this...why can't I find a happy balance between family, faith, and a career? I think that's my ultimate goal! I can't let my degree go to waste, I worked sooooo hard to get it. I don't understand how some "Moms" can juggle kids with their school activities, marriage, faith, and a job (especially full time!) Any ideas? Or even someone who can relate???? P.S this is my first attempt at a thread/forum:/

InvitroCanibal
01-24-16, 04:34 AM
If you give 100 percent to your job, you will have nothing left for your family. And visa versa. You divide your time by not working so hard. 100 percent is the value you started with at the beginning of the day but not at the end. You have to be selective with your time because of it.

A common mistake we all make is not understanding or recognizing our own limitations before we commit to anything in life.

KarmanMonkey
01-29-16, 02:33 PM
The good news is that nursing is a versatile job. There are so many different types of nursing, and so many different environments you can do it in.

What sorts of nursing have you done in the past? A lot of nurses with ADD end up in the ER or ICU because of the intensity of the job, others work in mental health because it's more relationship based and there's such variety from patient to patient.

As far as the folks you work with, if you find yourself running into the same problems over and over, it may mean it's time to try to find ways to adapt to the work culture. There's no blame or fault here, but just a statement of fact. If you keep hitting the same walls, either you need to change the world, or you need to change your approach. And trust me, trying to change the world is much more tedious and painful and slow than any job I've had!

As far as schedule goes, a lot depends on the job. With nursing, you may find a lot of places looking for 12hr shifts, or nights, or weekends. Then again, you could work for a community practice where it's a standard 8hr mon-fri too.

Getting the drive to go to work? For me, that has less to do with the job and more to do with my perspective. If I feel my time is well spent at work; if I feel like my job connects with what's truly important to me, then I'm far more likely to get to it. If the job seems like a meaningless road to a paycheck, it'll be like pulling teeth to go to work.

If you share a bit more about the type of jobs you've had, and what made you choose nursing, we might be able to give better suggestions and support.

Twiggy
01-30-16, 12:16 AM
There is no such thing as a "bad" job.
I've had the most lowly jobs as most people describe them. Minimum wage.

Should I feel lowly and bad about myself?
No.