View Full Version : posture/posing/pose/gait issues linked to ADHD?

baical
01-24-16, 05:54 AM
The way I stand comes across as posing, as if I have to be in a certain posture when standing. As if I'm obsessing about how I pose while I'm really not therefore it's involuntary.

is this a sensory issue?

Also, certain times my clothes bother me as if OCDing about how it's "hugging" on me. My clothes aren't tight at all. This is only true during winter time when I wear 4 layers of clothing while in a car.

Greyhound1
02-06-16, 01:42 AM
I think it's sensory and can really relate to your post.

I often feel uncomfortable standing still or walking on side walks. At times, I have to think about my gait or posture & it doesn't feel involuntary. It can feel foreign to me.

I also have sensory issues with clothing. Especially, wool and polyester. I am all cotton and it must be washed numerous times before I am physically comfortable.

daveddd
02-06-16, 01:45 AM
i have the tight clothes feeling , seems sensory

and the posing feel, but mine is a stiff posture, for me maybe observation social anxiety issue

at times my gait is a bit off , probably some type of sensory neurological thing

Greyhound1
02-06-16, 01:54 AM
i have the tight clothes feeling , seems sensory

and the posing feel, but mine is a stiff posture, for me maybe observation social anxiety issue

at times my gait is a bit off , probably some type of sensory neurological thing

Anxiety definitely increases my uncomfortable or awkward posture and gait in social settings or just out in public. I feel like people or noticing and it gets worse.

Fuzzy12
02-06-16, 04:53 AM
My gait and posture becomes super weird once I think that someone might be watching me. I hate that.

I don't have sensory issues that much, i think, but sometimes I suddenly feel incredibly claustrophobic if I'm wearing too many clothes or anything too tight and need to remove it.

Greyhound1
02-06-16, 09:48 AM
On good mental days, I hardly notice my posture or gait.

On bad days, I feel like a new born giraffe

Pixelatedmind
02-06-16, 11:31 AM
Definitely sensory and amplified by anxiety.. when I notice I'm posing I keep changing poses/moving trying to set on normal+comfortable mode

baical
02-08-16, 04:14 AM
I think it's because I live in the city that I feel I'm being watched, and I am therefore I "watch" how I walk. :giggle:

It's anxiety linked I know, it would be nice to be less self conscious. I've tried the psilocybin mushroom thing, I think it helped a bit but didn't erase the issue. There's all kinds of drugs being studied for PTSD and or anxiety issues like LSD, Ketamine, DMT, etc.

I think it's sensory and can really relate to your post.

I often feel uncomfortable standing still or walking on side walks. At times, I have to think about my gait or posture & it doesn't feel involuntary. It can feel foreign to me.

I also have sensory issues with clothing. Especially, wool and polyester. I am all cotton and it must be washed numerous times before I am physically comfortable.

stef
02-08-16, 04:30 AM
I don't worry so much about my gait (although the strange thing is I THINK I'm walking fast but I'm not at all, my mind is racing and then someone walking relatively slowly, passes me. )

I have terrible posture though, apparently it's because I have flexible joints so my back muscles are weak (thank you internet). But I've been working on this, swimming helps but the pool is closed in the winter on the only day I can go.

I hate standing, I feel like everyone is staring at me.

sarahsweets
02-08-16, 04:32 AM
I dont know if youve noticed this but lately it seems like companies are putting clothing tags on left inside portion where the shirt sits at your waist. It drives me nuts. I rip or cut them out! If anyone were to try on my clothes they would never know what size I am.

Unmanagable
02-08-16, 11:21 AM
Start paying attention to how often you tense up throughout a day. I never paid any attention to that until someone specifically told me to. Holy crap, it's a lot.

How often do you look down or stay crunched up sitting and looking at screen? I think they even labeled the condition "texting neck" or something like that.

It's almost as if we are curling back up to the fetus position, slowly but surely, or reverting back to the unsteadiness of our youth.

I never knew what a fascia or lymph fluid was until I started doing massage therapy. Holy crap what a difference that knowledge made. The flow is in the know.

I also noticed once I started digging up roots and releasing grief, anxiety, and other deeply embedded emotions, posture and being able to stand comfortably, etc improved along with it.

I learned our thoughts weigh us down and cripple us, literally, be it adhd related or not.

baical
02-08-16, 11:30 AM
so how to fix these "thoughts" that cripple us?

Start paying attention to how often you tense up throughout a day. I never paid any attention to that until someone specifically told me to. Holy crap, it's a lot.

How often do you look down or stay crunched up sitting and looking at screen? I think they even labeled the condition "texting neck" or something like that.

It's almost as if we are curling back up to the fetus position, slowly but surely, or reverting back to the unsteadiness of our youth.

I never knew what a fascia or lymph fluid was until I started doing massage therapy. Holy crap what a difference that knowledge made. The flow is in the know.

I also noticed once I started digging up roots and releasing grief, anxiety, and other deeply embedded emotions, posture and being able to stand comfortably, etc improved along with it.

I learned our thoughts weigh us down and cripple us, literally, be it adhd related or not.

Unmanagable
02-08-16, 11:41 AM
I've had to dig deep and find the roots of my emotional hurdles and talk through them with a counselor, took meds for a while and found other treatment options like acupuncture, massage therapy, chiropractor services, neurofeedback, yoga, mindfulness, breathing techniques, drastic dietary changes, etc. There's no one sure answer for any of it, from my experience. It takes a village of various healers and multiple treatment approaches.

Little Missy
02-08-16, 01:03 PM
so how to fix these "thoughts" that cripple us?

There you go.

Donny997
02-08-16, 09:39 PM
I have an awkward gait and way of standing. I sometimes don't know what to do with my hands. It seemed people would look at me funny. So I tried to tell myself I'm just being self-conscious, but I think people really do look at people who seem off a bit . Thats helped my anxiety but I wish my awkwardness weren't there

BellaVita
02-08-16, 10:42 PM
I think my gait must have been weird at some point.

A friend I once had said to me "okay, lemme give you lessons" and she actually taught me how to walk "properly."

I'm not sure if I still walk funny or not.

About posture: I try to remind myself to imagine a string pulling from the top of my head, and that helps me to straighten out.

BellaVita
02-08-16, 11:00 PM
MODERATOR NOTE:
Please refer to our guidelines (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75) about illegal substances:
NO posts involving O.D.s, illegal or improper use of Medication are allowed

In an effort to protect all who use these forums, no posts will be allowed that encourage or support the illegal or improper use of medication of any kind. We do not condone illegal or improper use and do not wish to be a source of information for people who would use medication this way. This includes talk about overdoses or O.D.'s.

Please refrain from making these kinds of posts.

Thank you.

baical
02-15-16, 11:00 AM
not sure if such "sensory" issues I have may have to do with a head injury I suffered as a kid. There was no brain damage (I was never checked if I was) after the car accident, but I do have a scar. I did pass out so I guess that could be called a concussion. I guess I'm as uncoordinated mentally which may be affecting me physically as well due to the anxiety that I'm aware of.

I'm curious if there is such a medicine for "sensory" issues? Do any of you take it or the ADHD medicines are just fine for "sensory" issues?

Funky1
02-15-16, 03:36 PM
I had an awkward gait my entire life. I walked, or more appropriately bounced, on the balls of my feet, and was made fun of constantly for it. It turns out I had no arch in my feet, which has led to a lot of issues and eventually led to the surgery i had last October, and the down time after was what lead to my ADD diagnosis. What a whirlwind that was, but i digress. Fixed one foot, my gait is still somewhat funky but definitely improved.

baical
02-17-16, 05:51 AM
I think mines is anxiety linked and inhibitions.

Inhibited:

"unable to act in a relaxed and natural way because of self-consciousness or mental restraint."

Mine is a combo of both self-consciousness and mental restraint, otherwise I wouldn't be conscious enough to know what my issues are. LOL.