View Full Version : if relocating, how do I get it all together?

baical
01-25-16, 12:13 AM
moving to another state, do I ask my doc to give me an extra month supply so I can settle and find a doc in the new state (which sometimes takes long to get my first initial visit, right)? Say moving from east to west coast, which is a long drive, must I shop for docs in the new state first or must I settle first and notify my insurance, etc. then start calling up new docs to write me the prescriptions?

Socaljaxs
01-25-16, 02:07 AM
Every state will have different rules and laws in regards to new doctors and medication. Probably best to talk to your doctor ahead of time. Ask for references, and then call the offices and ask what their protocol is other than faxing records. Some actually probably most often will have you get revaluations of any long term medication diagnosis

namazu
01-25-16, 02:35 AM
Yes, it's a good idea to get a fresh script from your doctor to fill right before you leave so that you'll have meds to cover you through the drive and a bit beyond. If you're in a place where your doctor can hand you three scripts at once (dated for later fill), and you can shove them in your wallet or somewhere you'll be able to keep track of them, even better.

Will you be changing insurance providers? If so, and you know what your new insurance plan will be already, that may help you figure out which mental health clinicians are covered by the plan.

If you actually have time to do so, you can scope out potential doctors in the new place even before you leave (online or by phone).

(And double-check with them that they accept your insurance, as sometimes insurance company lists are out of date or don't agree with what the doctors think they accept...)

As Socaljaxs mentioned, most docs will a) appreciate you having your records faxed to them -- though wait until you've settled on a single doctor; don't mass-fax your records to all the possible docs! -- and b) do some intake evaluation / review of your history and current difficulties even if they have your records in hand.

Socaljaxs
01-25-16, 12:06 PM
Yes, it's a good idea to get a fresh script from your doctor to fill right before you leave so that you'll have meds to cover you through the drive and a bit beyond. If you're in a place where your doctor can hand you three scripts at once (dated for later fill), and you can shove them in your wallet or somewhere you'll be able to keep track of them, even better.

As Socaljaxs mentioned, most docs will a) appreciate you having your records faxed to them -- though wait until you've settled on a single doctor; don't mass-fax your records to all the possible docs! -- and b) do some intake evaluation / review of your history and current difficulties even if they have your records in hand.

Most state and pharmacy will will not allow out of state perscription even if filling at same chains. So post dated script most likely won't work, unless you can be guarenttee the pharmacy will honor them(which never has a guarenttee) this route most likely won't work.

namazu
01-25-16, 03:08 PM
Most state and pharmacy will will not allow out of state perscription even if filling at same chains. So post dated script most likely won't work, unless you can be guarenttee the pharmacy will honor them(which never has a guarenttee) this route most likely won't work.

Depends on the state and on the pharmacy, as you said, so can't hurt to request the scripts. I have had out-of-state prescriptions for stimulants filled before; they had to comply with whatever the new state's rules were for CII scripts (e.g. in triplicate, with prescriber's DEA# written clearly on the front, etc.).

That said, it might be more difficult now that more states have instituted tracking systems that often aren't coordinated across states. I agree that expecting a script to be honored without question may be overoptimistic. But it's possible that a script could provide a buffer until baical is able to find a new in-state doctor to prescribe meds.

Little Missy
01-25-16, 03:52 PM
Mom and Pop pharms here will fill out of state scrips that say fill on a certain day.