View Full Version : Question about how Welbutrin works.

DJ Bill
01-26-16, 10:17 PM
I've been on generic Welbutrin for about 18 months now, and recently the doc added sertraline to the mix to boost my depressive mood. The combo seems to work a lot better, but my add symptoms, like forgetting why I was going in to a room, losing words, non comprehending reading, etc. actually seemed to get more noticeable. It gets worse later in the day, mornings are pretty good.

Is Welbutrin one of those meds that has an effective period and then wears off? Or am I just getting tired and that's why? Or is it one of those things that gradually builds up to a constant level in your system and timing doesn't much matter as much as consistency?

BTW its the extended release I am taking...300 MG. I take it around 7 AM. About 6:00 and on I get foggy, tired, etc. I work from 10 -6 or 7. Usually I go walking for 45 min to an hour before work. About 8PM I am pretty much thinking of bed. (Which I can hold off on till 10)

I'm thinking either I need to have my doc up the dose, or take them later in the morning...:confused:

I'm not sure why he didn't consider the normal Ritalin types of stimulants back then..

aeon
01-26-16, 10:53 PM
Wellbutrin/bupropion in XR form matters little when you take it (all other things being equal, start-of-day is optimal), but matters much that you do take it with consistency.

Judging by your stated hours schedule, it seems to be a normative expression of human tiredness and evening wind-down, not anything related to a medication.

Venlafaxine (Effexor) made me spacey, very much so, so it seems reasonable to consider sertraline having produced a similar effect in you, it being in the same general class of drug and all.

Wellbutrin/bupropion isn’t going to change tiredness/wakefulness with a change of dosage from 300mg...it simply isn’t that kind of drug.

Nor is Wellbutrin/bupropion (alone) going to suitably address ADHD presentation in most ADHD individuals. It helps for some in this regard when used in concert with one of the first-line psychostimulants, but it isn’t a first-line medication for ADHD for a reason.

I take 450mg of bupropion daily for mood. It may also help with my ADHD, but I’m not really sure. That heavy lifting gets done by 60mg daily of Dexedrine.

Cheers,
Ian

DJ Bill
01-27-16, 11:37 AM
"Wellbutrin/bupropion isn’t going to change tiredness/wakefulness with a change of dosage from 300mg...it simply isn’t that kind of drug."

Thanks for your great answer there, aeon. What sort of changes would one see with going from 300 to 450, or going for IR Welbutrin multiple times a day?

Is it one of the drugs you have to get off slowly when stopping ?

I'm still unsure why the doc went for Welbutrin when I first was there, although I suspect it was because I came in complaining about severe depression, and somewhere in the interviews they also figured out there was an attention deficit. It may have something with them knowing I was in a 12 step group, or that fact that they are in a badly drug infested area of the city and just used to not prescribing stimulants..

aeon
01-27-16, 08:27 PM
What sort of changes would one see with going from 300 to 450, or going for IR Welbutrin multiple times a day?

I didnít see anything except increased efficacy in treatment of my dysthymia. Thatís no small thing, of course.

As for IR Wellbutrin/bupropion, I have no idea, and because I would not take Wellbutrin/bupropion in IR form, I never will. Especially at my dosage...the risk of seizure from IR Wellbutrin/bupropion is simply too great.

Is it one of the drugs you have to get off slowly when stopping ?

Iíve never had a problem in terms of any withdrawal effects. YMMV.

I'm still unsure why the doc went for Welbutrin when I first was there, although I suspect it was because I came in complaining about severe depression, and somewhere in the interviews they also figured out there was an attention deficit. It may have something with them knowing I was in a 12 step group, or that fact that they are in a badly drug infested area of the city and just used to not prescribing stimulants..

All of that sounds like reasonable speculation.

Cheers,
Ian

Snake-Eater
01-27-16, 10:45 PM
My experience with ir bupropion was not good. Mylan and Sandoz felt like completely different medications. I currently use par pharm, great generic.

DJ Bill
02-26-16, 10:58 PM
A quick follow up ....today the Doc put me on 10 mg Ritalin generic It is a bit early to say it is working but I seem to have gotten a lot calmer and the racing thoughts and anxiety lessened. I hope it continues. I am still on the other meds.

windsoul
03-02-16, 09:31 AM
A quick follow up ....today the Doc put me on 10 mg Ritalin generic It is a bit early to say it is working but I seem to have gotten a lot calmer and the racing thoughts and anxiety lessened. I hope it continues. I am still on the other meds.

so you take the ritalin together with wellbutrin or separate?

DJ Bill
03-02-16, 04:26 PM
so you take the ritalin together with wellbutrin or separate?

I take the Welbutrin when I get up, the Ritalin about a half hour later, and then again at 2 or three.

It is strange, I don't notice much change (in how I feel) on Ritalin but I am getting work done and am lot less distractible. I do notice when it is wearing off I get antsy and anxious.