View Full Version : Struggling terribly with inattention

Kwolff32
01-27-16, 10:51 AM
Hello everyone, I am 34 yes old and have been diagnosed with ADHD since grade school. I never used pharms until after college when I really started to struggle with work and prioritizing. I didn't feel like the meds helped much and quickly gave up on them. I am currently persuing a certificate as a teacher of special education highley qualified in science/bio. The path to this has taken me much longer than it should have. My inattention has become so severe that it is affecting every aspect of my life and is destroying my marriage. I try to explain to my wife that it is exremely difficult to communicate all the things that run through my head so fast that is hard to get anything done. My forgetfulness is totally out of control. I am always overwhelmed, eventhough I only have a few important things to do. I also deal with anxiety and now depression due to feeling hopeless. I am in search of help. I asked my GP about a stim/non-stim regiment but he is sceptical. My life and sanity is beginning to crumble around me. I live in the western part of Central NJ and if anyone knows of a great therapist please let me know. Thank you and sorry for the long story.

thelostone
01-28-16, 12:04 AM
I'm 34 as well, having similar issues. I was never able to complete any schooling and never found any steady employment. While my wife is accepting of my issues, the tole it takes on her is painful to see. Have you told her how you're feeling? I've found that if I communicate where I'm at emotionally (not all the things going on, just the emotion) it eases her mind and we work together a little better. When it's all about 'what is going on' it just ramps up the stress between us and we start blaming each other.

I'm going to be speaking with my GP soon about meds, I was on Concerta for years but post-gallbladder surgery it hasn't been acting the same. I'm considering Atomoxetine but I'm not sure if I want to add in a stimulant.

sarahsweets
01-28-16, 05:10 AM
Hello everyone, I am 34 yes old and have been diagnosed with ADHD since grade school. I never used pharms until after college when I really started to struggle with work and prioritizing. I didn't feel like the meds helped much and quickly gave up on them.
This is something worth considering again. There are many medications and doses to try.

I live in the western part of Central NJ and if anyone knows of a great therapist please let me know. Thank you and sorry for the long story.
[/quote]
I think I may have posted my doctors info in the nj section. If not send me a pm.