View Full Version : dosage of concerta

ADDguy2385
01-29-16, 03:40 PM
So far im taking 27 mg's of concerta, is this too low for me?

Im at 196 lbs should i make the switch next month?

I really dont want to abuse this drug.

Btw this drug is definitely better than straterra, im able to focus and concentrate more.

namazu
01-29-16, 07:25 PM
Does it work? (You suggested it seems to help more than Strattera, which is good.) Does it cause side effects?

Those answers are how you figure out if it's the right dose (or too low or high) for you.

If this is the first time you've taken a stimulant, it's typical for a doctor to start you on a relatively low dose. Why? They don't want to overshoot the optimal dose or give you more than you actually need by starting with too high a dose, and they want to minimize the risk of side effects.

If the current dose isn't working well for you, but isn't giving you any problematic side effects either, then your doctor is likely to increase your dose. Lather, rinse, repeat until you've reached a dose where you're getting good benefits and either zero or only mild/tolerable side effects, or until you've reached a dose where you and your doctor feel the medication just isn't right for you.

Is your next appointment scheduled for next month? If so, that would be a good time to discuss with your doctor how well the Concerta is (or isn't) working for you, and figure out what to do from there. Some doctors will titrate (adjust the dose) a bit more quickly, say, increasing the dose after 2 weeks if it's not causing problems but isn't helping much. In any case, it's not a process you want to rush too much, but it would be good to keep in touch with your doctor about how things are going.

If the medication is working well, then you may find you don't need to increase the dose much. Dosing isn't based on weight/size so much as how it affects you.

Best wishes figuring it all out!

Abcdef
01-29-16, 07:59 PM
I'm 189 lbs and taking 27mg.

More is not always better-36mg was too much for me, all it did was increase the negatives and decrease the positives.

roflwaffle
01-29-16, 11:40 PM
You can try more. I've found that increasing my morning dose and/or taking a smaller amount later in the day temporarily helps with concentration and motivation, but it also increases the chances I'll feel wiped out after it wears off.

ADDguy2385
01-30-16, 08:45 AM
Does it work? (You suggested it seems to help more than Strattera, which is good.) Does it cause side effects?

So are you asking me these questions or should i be asking those questions myself

ADDguy2385
01-30-16, 08:47 AM
You can try more. I've found that increasing my morning dose and/or taking a smaller amount later in the day temporarily helps with concentration and motivation, but it also increases the chances I'll feel wiped out after it wears off.

Concerta supposed to be long acting. Cause i take it early in the morning. last time i started taking it i wasnt able to fall asleep later on in the night.

namazu
01-30-16, 02:02 PM
So are you asking me these questions or should i be asking those questions myself
:)

Mostly, I meant you should ask yourself (and discuss with your doctor).

You can share here if you'd like, though ultimately any decisions about dose would be up to you and your doctor.

Based on what you've said so far (that it works better than Strattera) and what you haven't said (that you're experiencing awful side effects -- which hopefully you aren't!), it doesn't sound like your dose is currently too *high*. Whether or not it's too *low* depends on whether it's working as well as it could, and how well you might tolerate a higher dose (hopefully without developing unpleasant side effects).

aeon
01-30-16, 02:15 PM
I titrated up to 108mg of Concerta (2 x 54mg) and found that was a near-perfect amount in terms of treating my ADHD.

That said, that dose also created a level of anxiety I could not endure.

My point being that appropriate dosage is determined by response, regardless of your shape or size. And that might mean bigger numbers, or not.

Cheers,
Ian

ADDguy2385
01-30-16, 09:19 PM
I titrated up to 108mg of Concerta (2 x 54mg) and found that was a near-perfect amount in terms of treating my ADHD.

That said, that dose also created a level of anxiety I could not endure.

My point being that appropriate dosage is determined by response, regardless of your shape or size. And that might mean bigger numbers, or not.

Cheers,
Ian

Would that also be good for someone who is ADD? That amount, and can you give a perfect example what the anxiety does to you?

dvdnvwls
01-30-16, 09:23 PM
Would that also be good for someone who is ADD? That amount, and can you give a perfect example what the anxiety does to you?
This is like asking another person his shoe size, and then asking if his shoe size should be good for you too.

Talk to your doctor if your medication isn't working well - otherwise, everything is already fine.