View Full Version : is anyone following their dream?

NateDEEzy
01-31-16, 02:10 PM
Is anyone in here following their dream, or know what their dream is?
I think my biggest thing is, I don't know what my dream is. I'm afraid that nothing will fulfill me bc I'll always have an unfufilled want of wanting to be normal and have normal relationships. But I'm also doing something for work that's pretty stressful and not a good fit for me, so I'm hoping someone might be able to fill in if finding something they love doing is actually helping them,and if so, to what degree.

sarahsweets
01-31-16, 02:54 PM
I used to think I wasnt, that I was wasting my life, wasting my degree. I realized that I have kids that I am raising kids, and when I dreamed of having kids, I knew I would be taking care of them. Society seems to place more value on farmers raising cows then parents raising kids.

Fuzzy12
01-31-16, 03:01 PM
Not really. I don't know either what my dreams are. At the moment I don't have any.

acdc01
01-31-16, 03:32 PM
No. It's the same for me too. I don't really have a career dream. Well, I imagined owning my own snorkel tour company so I can go snorkeling every day. But lbr, I also don't want to move and I'm not exactly living in a tropical climate.

I also dream of financial freedom of where my assets generate enough money for me not to have to work. I'm almost to that dream but right now, I'm suffering that high stress job I think I may have to quit soon too.

Fuzzy12
01-31-16, 03:54 PM
Actually i do have a career dream. Currently my career dream is as boring, unimaginative and mundane as it can get. I wish I could have a 9-5 sort of job. Easy but interesting work with nice colleagues. Most importantly, something permanent. :lol:

Nala94
02-01-16, 04:20 PM
I always thought I was going to become a veterinarian, and went to college with that in mind, but rather quickly discovered it wasn't right for me. I wasn't making the grades, and when I worked in a veterinary hospital it just didn't seem like what I wanted to do. I am now going to be going into laboratory animal management, and when I think about it, I am still doing what I always wanted to do. I'm taking care of animals and trying to make their lives better in anyway I can. The fact that I am not taking care of pets means that I am probably helping even more, because pets already have people looking out for them. And not trying to get a vet degree means I'll have time to settle down and have a family which is important to me.

Anyways, all that to say... even when life doesn't turn out as you'd expected you can still achieve your dreams, you just have to look at them from a different angle.

DJ Bill
02-01-16, 05:11 PM
I thought I was following my dreams a long time ago. Problem was, the dreams kept changing on me. Now my dream is to be happy and productive, and whatever path I get placed on that is ok. I wouldn't mind if it had something to do with old Jeeps or old bicycles, but whatever it is....it isn't the most important thing in life anymore. I'm too old to chase after the wind anyhow.

Jayfer
02-01-16, 07:07 PM
I want to write novels for a living, but struggle with my lack of focus and follow-through. I can imagine the stories all day while daydreaming, and get them about halfway written down, but revising and everything after that is a struggle.

I currently work as a part-time reference librarian, which is an excellent fit for me, since it changes often and I don't have to worry about any long-term projects to fail at. If I could do this as a full-time job without bureaucracy and meetings, plus follow-through on writing my stories, I would be living an ideal life.

(I am as yet undiagnosed, which might be permanent since I live in Texas and have Blue Cross, so probably won't get evaluated until I can afford to self-pay.)

Husky42
02-01-16, 07:12 PM
Thankfully my girlfriend and mother are helping me chase my dream. I cannot work for people, I cannot have a boss. Multiple fights, firings and a dont **** with me attitude just does not make for a good employee.

I used to work for a medical dispensary and that was cool, at the time my dream was to smoke a bunch of pot and be a hippie.. I've since quit the pot and the job.

For two years now I have learned how to garden and have one resturaunt on board to buy my produce this year. I'm going to be selling my produce (Tomatoes, Peppers, Squash and Melon, Eggplant, Fennel and Basil) at market for the first time this year.

My dream for a long time since i was a kid was to be a farmer like my grandpa, lack of land prevents me from doing it large scale, but we ripped up our front and back yard and put in a massive garden, I produce enough food for my family and many families on a very small plot of land :D

acdc01
02-01-16, 09:33 PM
My dream for a long time since i was a kid was to be a farmer like my grandpa, lack of land prevents me from doing it large scale, but we ripped up our front and back yard and put in a massive garden, I produce enough food for my family and many families on a very small plot of land :D

That's awesome. How much land does it take to feed 3 people? Maybe that's too vague a question to answer. I looked it up once and it seemed like a lot. Do you have any tips? Sorry kind of OT I guess but am curious.

Husky42
02-05-16, 03:02 AM
That's awesome. How much land does it take to feed 3 people? Maybe that's too vague a question to answer. I looked it up once and it seemed like a lot. Do you have any tips? Sorry kind of OT I guess but am curious.

Not that much land really, you just have to companion plant and plan out the garden.

You can cram a lot into small spaces so long as the plants get what they need. Over crowding also reduces in less yield.

Its been a lot of trial and error over the years, with squash, melons, cucumbers you can allow nature to pollinate, or go ahead and take the male flower and stick it in the female flower (sounds wrong i know) and force more production then you would get if leaving to nature. During summer i go out and shake my tomatoe plants daily to knock pollen around.

We are still eating dried tomatoes, roasted tomatoes and have around 15 or so more jars of Tomato Sauce.

The biggest aspect to production and saving the veggies is an ability to can and preserve. I do Jalapeno Jelly's and salsa's. We have a neighbor with pears so we trade and then do pear sauce instead of apple sauce.

Also, the art of the trade is important.. find other like minded growers and trade produce, really expands your garden.

We ordered 63 different types of veggies for our garden this year.

House size: 1,152 sq ft
Lot size: 6,380 sq ft

Also has a detached garage and side drive way leading to the garage so i'd say I garden on maybe 1500-2000 SQ Ft total and we produce enough to eat, and make a couple bucks on.

Cyllya
02-05-16, 03:26 AM
I occasionally wander in the general direction of my dream. It's slow going. :(

Tmoney
02-05-16, 09:50 AM
Well my dream was to have children and be a good dad. I have and still am doing that.
I wanted to work with kids. I did that for many years but its tough to raise a family on the salary. So I had to change that one a little. I work in sales where I make a decent living and I volunteer mentoring young kids!

When your young its all about having a good job making good money with a nice house and car. As you get older you realize that health, family and friends are what life is really all about.

I have a wonderful life and family and I have accomplished more than any teacher or professional thought I would.

So my answer is yes, I'm living the dream!

Perspective in life is key to happiness!

"If opportunity doesn't knock... build a door!"
"If your ship doesn't come in.... swim out to it!"