View Full Version : Shaking off the Ritalin come down

Pixelatedmind
02-01-16, 07:02 PM
Some days I take Ritalin (30mg) late in the afternoon, when I have a meeting and some research work to be done on free days where I wake up late.

These days I don't take any boosters to be able to sleep at night, and not to waste my stock for the busier days.

Normally after 2 hours this dose starts wearing off, after ~3 hours I become very tired and demotivated and symptoms of ADHD^1000.

When that happens I eat, slack for a while then go for a quick jog or do some physical activity, then rest for a little bit then get back to my desk to try and work again. (that takes around 2 hours in total)

This seems to shake off the come down low and re-energize me (relatively of course) so at least I can continue on reading for a little longer.

My question is, would taking some rest and/or having a quick exercise really help reduce the come down effect? should I do anything else?

Does the come down gradually get better on it's own by time and I don't really need the physical exercise?

sarahsweets
02-02-16, 05:40 AM
Usually if you notice such an extreme "come down" its because your dose is too high.

Pixelatedmind
02-03-16, 08:01 AM
Usually if you notice such an extreme "come down" its because your dose is too high.

I don't think it's too high because I started from 5mg, 5 and 10 are absolutely ineffective, and 20mg is very mildly effective. I don't feel either of these kicking in or wear off.

30mg is just when I can tell I am more calm, focused and energized.

Little Missy
02-03-16, 09:16 AM
When I took Ritalin and it was wearing off I was hungry, had a headache and it was time for bed.

sarahsweets
02-03-16, 01:11 PM
I don't think it's too high because I started from 5mg, 5 and 10 are absolutely ineffective, and 20mg is very mildly effective. I don't feel either of these kicking in or wear off.

30mg is just when I can tell I am more calm, focused and energized.
It may not be too high by the mg, but maybe its too high or too much for your body.

Fuzzy12
02-03-16, 01:14 PM
I used to take dexamphetamine but the horrible crash I got every day in the beginning wore off after a few weeks. Some people have recommended drinking orange juice or something with vit c, which apparently increases the rate of absorption or something like that in order to clear the meds quicker out of your system but I don't know if that helps. Also, taking smaller doses more frequently helped with the crash I think.

C15H25N3O
02-03-16, 09:35 PM
I used over 2 years to took 15mg ritalin in the morning. i added 5mg all 3-4 hours and went to bed before the crash. i could fall to sleep very good on ritalin.

if i did not take any ritalin in the day and i could not sleep in the evening i sometimes take 2-5mg for better sleeping.

15-5-5-5(-5) worked good for me.

Pixelatedmind
02-06-16, 11:58 AM
I used to take dexamphetamine but the horrible crash I got every day in the beginning wore off after a few weeks. Some people have recommended drinking orange juice or something with vit c, which apparently increases the rate of absorption or something like that in order to clear the meds quicker out of your system but I don't know if that helps. Also, taking smaller doses more frequently helped with the crash I think.

I remember reading about Orange/Vitamin C increasing the absorption which decreases the efficiency of your dose.

The weird thing that I noticed and was reporting, is that when I take a large dose alone I feel the crash, but If I take the smaller booster afterwards that crash is gone

I used over 2 years to took 15mg ritalin in the morning. i added 5mg all 3-4 hours and went to bed before the crash. i could fall to sleep very good on ritalin.

if i did not take any ritalin in the day and i could not sleep in the evening i sometimes take 2-5mg for better sleeping.

15-5-5-5(-5) worked good for me.

I have also noticed that the booster helps lessen the crash from the higher dose, but generally I can sleep well when the Ritalin wears off.

DubbaD
02-06-16, 02:01 PM
2 things:
1st: you started at 10mg in December of 2015 - and now you're up to 30 of instant?
Ritalin is a nervous system affective drug, meaning your body mass has little to do with the effectiveness of it. The more you take it the less it affects you, over a gradual period of time (unless abused). some people start out more resilient, but if you're having comedown issues, you've already taken too high a dosage.
2nd: I would recommend looking into ritalin LA (long acting) and see if that helps. I am currently prescribed 30mg Ritalin LA and mg Ritalin tablets, each to be taken once. I have been medicatted for ADD for over 10 years now and my tolerance for the medication is pretty high, so I've learned a few things.

My reccomendation for any ADD perscription-treated reader is these 3 tips:
-Ritalin LA ( if you're ritalin recommended - frequently unavailable as genetic brand, but worth it)
-drink lots of water, have a steady electrolyte intake, and magnesium is pretty damn important (green veggies or supplements)
-Wear deodorant (youre gonna smell like ammonia, ham, and cheese if you don't take hygenic precautions.)

Pixelatedmind
02-06-16, 07:57 PM
2 things:
1st: you started at 10mg in December of 2015 - and now you're up to 30 of instant?
Ritalin is a nervous system affective drug, meaning your body mass has little to do with the effectiveness of it. The more you take it the less it affects you, over a gradual period of time (unless abused). some people start out more resilient, but if you're having comedown issues, you've already taken too high a dosage.
2nd: I would recommend looking into ritalin LA (long acting) and see if that helps. I am currently prescribed 30mg Ritalin LA and mg Ritalin tablets, each to be taken once. I have been medicatted for ADD for over 10 years now and my tolerance for the medication is pretty high, so I've learned a few things.

My reccomendation for any ADD perscription-treated reader is these 3 tips:
-Ritalin LA ( if you're ritalin recommended - frequently unavailable as genetic brand, but worth it)
-drink lots of water, have a steady electrolyte intake, and magnesium is pretty damn important (green veggies or supplements)
-Wear deodorant (youre gonna smell like ammonia, ham, and cheese if you don't take hygenic precautions.)

I started with 10 then jumped shortly to 20mg + 10mg within the same month upon doctor recommendation, that's only when I started to feel mild improvements. Next month I trialed with 30mg which was adequate enough for me to continue with the medication.

I wish 10 or even 5mg were effective for me because I know my dose will hit a limit one day.

Thanks for the tips :)

C15H25N3O
02-10-16, 12:37 AM
Yes,

I can confirm DubbaD in some points.
Drinking water is very important on stimulants but you have to drink a lot on methylphenidate not only because its forcing dehydration. its also forcing strong halitosis if you dont drink enough.
Indeed magnesium is very important. Your body needs more of it than regular on methylphenidate.
Breakfast with carbohydrates gives power for methylphenidate. If you get a headache in the evening you need some sugar or glucose to get rid of the pain.

You could also try doses around 20mg like 17.5mg, 22.5mg or adding 7.5mg for additional boosting.
I never liked the releasing mechanism of Ritalin LA but some people are happy with it. Sadly they never learn about fine dosing like 17.5mg, ...

Best thing about methylphenidate is, if you ever found your best dosing and boosting schematics you can keep it for a very long time. there has not been any difference in methylphenidates effects to me after taking brakes of some days, weeks or two month. i always could restart with the same dosing. Thats why its worth to find out ones perfect dose. For me its was +/-2.5mg on Ritalin (IR) depending on my daily condition.

After you found your dosis its comfortable to switch to Ritalin LA but you must be very lucky that it is your perfect dose releaser. Thats for many people a reason to switch to concerta or whatever.

ap4thy
02-10-16, 12:19 PM
I've been on and off Ritalin IR for 8 years now (With 3 x 1 yr+ breaks in between)

I've never found a "perfect routine" and what works best is always changing based on dosage, tolerance, diet, phase in life and overall health. A perfect routine will last a few months at best, so change it up once you don't feel good.

I needed LESS the more physically fit I was. At one point while in my mid 20s I was taking 90-120mg a day (No idea wtf I was thinking) but I was also very overweight, sedentary and ate unhealthy. Now I'm 32 and in the best shape of my life, if I took 20mg at once right now I might have a panic attack. 10 then 5 works best now.

If you get to the point where Ritalin is messing with your head, heart rate worrying you, ineffective and you can't focus... I highly suggest taking a 2-3 month break and then come back with a much lower dose. It seems now that 9 months on and 3 months off is working well for me. Each time I come back I need a lower and lower dose.

Currently the best routine for me is this:
Light breakfast
During the morning I do "easy" work that doesn't require too much focus
1PM - 10mg after lunch
Begin work that requires focus
3PM - 5mg (optional)
6PM - Go for a run to take off any edge that may be left over from the day.
10PM - If I still don't feel right I take 2-5mg of LIQUID melatonin which knocks me out right away.

- Eating a lot of fermented foods and probiotics seems to help with the overall food/medication balance.
- Coffee and black tea give me anxiety while on Ritalin
- Seltzer water seems to help

Pixelatedmind
02-10-16, 12:43 PM
Yes,

I can confirm DubbaD in some points.
Drinking water is very important on stimulants but you have to drink a lot on methylphenidate not only because its forcing dehydration. its also forcing strong halitosis if you dont drink enough.
Indeed magnesium is very important. Your body needs more of it than regular on methylphenidate.
Breakfast with carbohydrates gives power for methylphenidate. If you get a headache in the evening you need some sugar or glucose to get rid of the pain.

You could also try doses around 20mg like 17.5mg, 22.5mg or adding 7.5mg for additional boosting.
I never liked the releasing mechanism of Ritalin LA but some people are happy with it. Sadly they never learn about fine dosing like 17.5mg, ...

Best thing about methylphenidate is, if you ever found your best dosing and boosting schematics you can keep it for a very long time. there has not been any difference in methylphenidates effects to me after taking brakes of some days, weeks or two month. i always could restart with the same dosing. Thats why its worth to find out ones perfect dose. For me its was +/-2.5mg on Ritalin (IR) depending on my daily condition.

After you found your dosis its comfortable to switch to Ritalin LA but you must be very lucky that it is your perfect dose releaser. Thats for many people a reason to switch to concerta or whatever.

It's interesting how you fine tuned your dosage, but how would you even get the 2.5mg? I can hardly split the small 10mg tablet to get a 5mg.

Do you get a prescription for 5mg IR?

I've been on and off Ritalin IR for 8 years now (With 3 x 1 yr+ breaks in between)

I've never found a "perfect routine" and what works best is always changing dosage, tolerance, diet, phase in life and overall health. A perfect routine will last a few months at best, so change it up once you don't feel good.

I needed LESS the more physically fit I was. At one point while in my mid 20s I was taking 90-120mg a day (No idea wtf I was thinking) but I was also very overweight, sedentary and ate unhealthy. Now I'm 32 and in the best shape of my life, if I took 20mg at once right now I might have a panic attack. 10 then 5 works best now.

If you get to the point where Ritalin is messing with your head, ineffective and you can't focus... I highly suggest taking a 2-3 month break and then come back with a much lower dose. It seems now that 9 months on and 3 months off is working well for me. Each time I come back I need a lower and lower dose.

Currently the best routine for me is this:
Light breakfast
During the morning I do "easy" work that doesn't require too much focus
1PM - 10mg after lunch
Begin work that requires focus
3PM - 5mg (optional)
6PM - Go for a run to take off any edge that may be left over from the day.
10PM - If I still don't feel right I take 2-5mg of LIQUID melatonin which knocks out right away.

- Eating a lot of fermented foods and probiotics seems to help with the overall food/medication balance.
- Coffee and black tea give me anxiety while on Ritalin
- Seltzer water seems to help

I like your minimalist routine, I'm trying to reach an effective one, I always end up wasting most of my day with poor organizational skills to get the best out of my day and medication. I'm on the way though.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

ap4thy
02-10-16, 02:04 PM
I always end up wasting most of my day with poor organizational skills to get the best out of my day and medication. I'm on the way though.

What seems to help with this problem is taking the Ritalin after you start your main task.

What didn't work for me was, taking it 30 min before main task then hoping that some how I'd get the motivation and energy to tackle it. Instead I just got distracted by other things and by the time I got around to my main task my head was all scrambled.

goodluck!

C15H25N3O
02-10-16, 05:15 PM
It's interesting how you fine tuned your dosage, but how would you even get the 2.5mg? I can hardly split the small 10mg tablet to get a 5mg.

Do you get a prescription for 5mg IR?

We only have 10mg Ritalin (IR) over here. They are produce to break in a half. I just break it once again. I dont care if q quater becomes 2.3mg or 2.7mg, its almost around 2.5mg. :-)

i like ap4thy's idea of taking a stimulant after starting the task a lot cuz its boosting your task which is bettern than being boosted and having too many ideas what to do else than starting the task.

i also think lower doses are better and you should never "feel" a stimulant but you should feel a boost in productivity.

i am on Vyvanse now for 3 months which works better for me, i think and hope. When i took 2 times ritalin in this time it still worked for me on my old doses. My personal max was around 80mg between two nights but that was a mind blowing overdose level which made me fast but not concentrated, maybe weired multitasking.

aeon
02-10-16, 11:00 PM
I always experienced a “crash” on methylphenidate after it wore off, and that was true from 10mg to 108mg. And it did feel like ADHD, mega-amplified.

That side-effect never went away, but I did adjust my schedule and activities to accommodate it.

I was med-naive at that point. I didn’t know things could be better, especially when methylphenidate seemed downright amazing how-could-anything-be-better-than-this from day one.

Little did I know then. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Pixelatedmind
02-14-16, 05:38 AM
What seems to help with this problem is taking the Ritalin after you start your main task.

What didn't work for me was, taking it 30 min before main task then hoping that some how I'd get the motivation and energy to tackle it. Instead I just got distracted by other things and by the time I got around to my main task my head was all scrambled.

goodluck!

I learned this the hard way! I have trouble starting the main task in general, I thought sitting down and taking Ritalin would magically motivate me to start working, it made me focused but when I didn't actually start on the my task I thought it wasn't effective.

Little did i know :)

We only have 10mg Ritalin (IR) over here. They are produce to break in a half. I just break it once again. I dont care if q quater becomes 2.3mg or 2.7mg, its almost around 2.5mg. :-)

Aha, If you have some OCD tendencies, that quarter strategy would be very devastating, I already had a hard time evening a 5mg half :D

Thanks for your input!

I always experienced a “crash” on methylphenidate after it wore off, and that was true from 10mg to 108mg. And it did feel like ADHD, mega-amplified.

That side-effect never went away, but I did adjust my schedule and activities to accommodate it.

I was med-naive at that point. I didn’t know things could be better, especially when methylphenidate seemed downright amazing how-could-anything-be-better-than-this from day one.

Little did I know then. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

For me the side effects went away smoothly when I sticked to 20mg + 10mgx

I am pretty med-naive myself, I was expecting to become a sharp superman or Bradley cooper in Limitless, thankfully I reached a point where I stabilized my expectations and started to be realistically productive.