View Full Version : New to this - Adderall XR anger issues question

momtoq
02-09-16, 01:44 PM
My son is 7 and was diagnosed with ADHD at ~5 years old. My husband has it, as well as other family members. So it was not a shock when my son was diagnosed.

We started medication in Dec. Adderall XR 15mg. Overall, things have been like night and day. He doesn't get in trouble at school, he remembers morning routine without being prompted, will sit and draw or play legos without constant interaction/need for approval, etc. He also says he likes the medicine because he's one of the good kids now (which I've told him he was always a good kid). Yay!

However, he now has complete meltdowns over the slightest challenges. It's most frequent at night, which is when I assume the medicine is wearing off. He was slapping his face last night and telling us he was so stupid and he ruins everything over us not allowing him to continue shoveling last night. This is the second incident in the past 3 weeks.

I have an appt with his pediatrician on Tuesday to talk about dialing back to 10mg or switching.

I'm wondering if anyone else had similar experiences and was able to minimize the extreme reaction through either dialing back the dosage or switching to a different medication.

(We're also working with a play therapist so we're not just going the medicine route.)

Thanks!

Caco3girl
02-09-16, 02:29 PM
My 13 year old had that response initially on Vyvanse, he was only on it for 3 days. He was focused at school but the world was ending around 7pm...in a very huge overreaction way where NOTHING was going to be okay.

Did you just change dosages? Seems weird that the emotional swing would be new. The Adderall XR doesn't seem to do that to my son at all...then again it doesn't seem to be doing anything good or bad.

sarahsweets
02-09-16, 03:20 PM
A boosterr dose in the afternoon either at school or when he gets home usually fixes that issue.

momtoq
02-11-16, 10:40 AM
We didn't really 'change' doses so much as just start in December. I wanted to withhold judgment for a period of time to get a comprehensive view of the medicine.

I'll talk to the doc about the booster dose. Thanks!