View Full Version : Strattera for schizophrenic

Cactustomato
02-09-16, 07:24 PM
I don't really have to option to take adderall because I have schizophrenic. I'm wondering when this med works if I will be able to focus and read or if I'll always have to have something like adderall to have motivation to read something boring. Adderall used to help me get interested in reading everything but I got schizophrenia from adderall. I'm about to start classes soon and I need something to help me actually read my material in school for accounting and actually like it.

TurtleBrain
02-26-16, 10:21 PM
When you said adderall gave you schizophrenia, do you mean a temporary state of psychosis or do you permanently now have it? If it's the former (just temporary), you could just try meds that aren't amphetamine based. Have you tried other stimulants already like Ritalin?

If you want to avoid stimulants, then I guess try straterra. Whether it works for you or not depends on how your body responds to it. Everybody is different.

sarahsweets
02-27-16, 07:14 AM
Adderall cant give you schizophrenia.

namazu
02-27-16, 03:38 PM
Stimulants can trigger psychosis in some people, including people with underlying bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or other psychotic disorders -- and this may include people who haven't previously had a psychotic episode.

However, some people with ADHD and a history of psychotic episodes can take stimulants and other ADHD medications safely, usually if the psychotic symptoms can be managed with other medications (antipsychotics or mood stabilizers). There have also been studies that found benefits of stimulants for treating the so-called "negative symptoms" of schizophrenia (including motivation difficulties), which antipsychotic medications tend not to improve very much.

Finding a balance with these meds while minimizing side effects and breakthrough symptoms is often a challenging undertaking. It generally requires the oversight of a doctor who is very experienced in treating both conditions. I know that some members of the forum who have both ADHD and psychotic symptoms have been able to treat both simultaneously, at least for periods of time, while others had to discontinue medication for ADHD.

Strattera has some stimulant-like properties, even though it is in another class of drugs. There have been some reports of Strattera triggering psychosis (https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/atomoxetine-risk-of-psychotic-or-manic-symptoms-in-children-and-adolescents).

Cactustomato, it's unclear whether Strattera is less likely to trigger psychotic symptoms than the traditional stimulant medications for ADHD -- possibly? -- but given your history, it's probably wise to proceed cautiously and with a doctor you trust.

Best of luck to you with your classes!

gilroy
02-28-16, 06:48 PM
I'm adhd and as an adult got diagnosed with schizoaffective(kind of a bipolar/schizophrenia mesh) but i have more symptoms of schizophrenia than bipolar. Strattera has been a godsend for my issues with focusing(i'm at 100mg), but it doesn't help with motivation.

edit/It's also important that you are stable in an anti-psychotic before using stattera. When i first used strattera without an anti-psychotic i was hypomanic for a long time and my psychosis got worse.